Van Halen - Live Tokyo Dome

Yeah, this is an incredibly good album. I'd be interested to find out how much post-production was done on it.

Eddie is a crazed beast on this album. The guitar is nice and up front in the mix. This is without a doubt the best I've ever heard Ed play, ever. EVER. It is a brown sound feast.

Alex is spot on. Wolf is quite an accomplished bass player, I think. There are some definite monster chops in play.

Dave...what can I say. He does sound really, really good on the majority of this album. His voice in the "comfort" range is so strong and clean. Pretty much all of the screams are gone. No attempts are even made, but I can be ok with that. My biggest problem with Dave's performance is that he just doesn't give fuck-all about keeping the phrasing of the songs near to the original stuff. He'll be silent where there is supposed to be singing, and then jump in at triple speed to make it up. This goes on a lot. I have to credit the band for keeping the instrumental side spot on. If Dave focused on trying to be a little more faithful to the original feel of some of the songs, this album would be even more of a monster than it already is.

BTW, the set list for this album is glorious. It goes deep into the first two albums, and only has two sons off their last release. Pure goodness for the old-school VH fans!

Yeah, this is an incredibly good album. I'd be interested to find out how much post-production was done on it.

Eddie is a crazed beast on this album. The guitar is nice and up front in the mix. This is without a doubt the best I've ever heard Ed play, ever. EVER. It is a brown sound feast.

Alex is spot on. Wolf is quite an accomplished bass player, I think. There are some definite monster chops in play.

Dave...what can I say. He does sound really, really good on the majority of this album. His voice in the "comfort" range is so strong and clean. Pretty much all of the screams are gone. No attempts are even made, but I can be ok with that. My biggest problem with Dave's performance is that he just doesn't give fuck-all about keeping the phrasing of the songs near to the original stuff. He'll be silent where there is supposed to be singing, and then jump in at triple speed to make it up. This goes on a lot. I have to credit the band for keeping the instrumental side spot on. If Dave focused on trying to be a little more faithful to the original feel of some of the songs, this album would be even more of a monster than it already is.

BTW, the set list for this album is glorious. It goes deep into the first two albums, and only has two sons off their last release. Pure goodness for the old-school VH fans!

There's actually three songs from A Different Kind Of Truth....."She's The Woman", Tattoo" and "China Town". I would have been happy to hear even more tunes from that album...I LOVE it.
I kinda dig Dave futzing around with his phrasing in the songs.....he co-wrote them, so what the heck. If I want the studio version, I'll listen to the original album. As Forrest Gump would say, "Listening to David Lee Roth singing live is like a box of chocolates....it's often messy, but still sweet!". Or something like that.

There's actually three songs from A Different Kind Of Truth....."She's The Woman", Tattoo" and "China Town". I would have been happy to hear even more tunes from that album...I LOVE it.
I kinda dig Dave futzing around with his phrasing in the songs.....he co-wrote them, so what the heck. If I want the studio version, I'll listen to the original album. As Forrest Gump would say, "Listening to David Lee Roth singing live is like a box of chocolates....it's often messy, but still sweet!". Or something like that.

Ah yeah, I forgot about She's the Woman.

To be sure, Dave is Dave, and it's all Dave all the time. I will say that the stuff he ad-libbed during the jams was quite enjoyable. He does just go where the spirit takes him.

Too bad he can't sing anymore. His performances on Kimmel initially made me think "ok, this MIGHT actually be better than the new live cds" (esp since that recording is a couple years old already) but then they went into the next song. I don't expect the DLR of the late 70's - 80's, but his croaking and yelping not only made me cringe, it made me clench! Band sounds awesome in all aspects, MINUS Dave. I'm not a DLR hater, been a fan since I heard the debut on 8-track in 78....(yeah, I'm OLD)

this live cd, and the one with Cherone are the only VH cds that don't sit prominently in my collection. Anybody taking bets that by 2016, he'll be done w/ VH? :Spin:

And I don't mind the Dave raps & not like the cd vocal phrasing. He's been doing that forever... The last studio cd was pretty good, but IMHFO, the long awaited live disc is a huge disappointment....

Personally, I don't think Dave was EVER a vocalist. An entertainer, yes. A frontman, yes. A singer? No. And back in the 70s when people were high at shows in abundance, I'm sure it was great to see him sound terrible. Dave is Dave, and I don't think he's much worse now than he was then...he has always relied on the rest of the band to carry the melody (and the backing vocals were as much a signature part of the sound as Eddie's guitar and Dave's screeching).

I know purists worship Dave, but I'd rather see Sammy and Mike rejoin the band and do one last album and tour than this mess...

Too bad he can't sing anymore. His performances on Kimmel initially made me think "ok, this MIGHT actually be better than the new live cds" (esp since that recording is a couple years old already) but then they went into the next song. I don't expect the DLR of the late 70's - 80's, but his croaking and yelping not only made me cringe, it made me clench! Band sounds awesome in all aspects, MINUS Dave. I'm not a DLR hater, been a fan since I heard the debut on 8-track in 78....(yeah, I'm OLD)

this live cd, and the one with Cherone are the only VH cds that don't sit prominently in my collection. Anybody taking bets that by 2016, he'll be done w/ VH? :Spin:

And I don't mind the Dave raps & not like the cd vocal phrasing. He's been doing that forever... The last studio cd was pretty good, but IMHFO, the long awaited live disc is a huge disappointment....

The Cherone CD sucked, but the live shows with Cherone were great. Although I really like Sammy Hagar's solo and Montrose work, I've never been a big fan of the albums he did with VH. To me, the first 4 VH albums with DLR were amazing, and nobody has ever made albums like them before or since. Eddie's guitar god credentials were front and center on those albums. Unfortunately, I never got to see VH back in the day with DLR. I've saw them once with Cherone, once with Sammy, and twice with DLR after the "reunion." I watched all of the songs from Jimmy Kimmel and Ellen trying to convince myself to go see them this summer since they are playing only 15 minutes from my house. Eddie and the rest of the band are playing as great as they've ever played. But man, if DLR would give any effort, I mean any effort whatsoever, to sing in a half decent way I would be there in a heartbeat. But DLR is completely ruining anything good about this. I think VH needs to take a play out of the Journey and Judas Priest playbook and find a completely new singer from a VH tribute band on Youtube. I can respect DLR's effort at showmanship, but I can't forgive him for his laziness in not making an effort to sing. And I don't expect him to sing like he did on the studio recordings, but I do expect an effort to sing in a manner that doesn't shit all over the songs themselves.

Personally, I don't think Dave was EVER a vocalist. An entertainer, yes. A frontman, yes. A singer? No. And back in the 70s when people were high at shows in abundance, I'm sure it was great to see him sound terrible. Dave is Dave, and I don't think he's much worse now than he was then...he has always relied on the rest of the band to carry the melody (and the backing vocals were as much a signature part of the sound as Eddie's guitar and Dave's screeching).

I agree. Someone I know on Facebook posted a video of Panama from the Skyscraper tour back in 1988 and honestly Dave did sound much better then. I love all the initial Dave albums, but live not so much.

Edit: it was 88 not 86

The Cherone CD sucked, but the live shows with Cherone were great.

I always thought that VH 3 was really written as a EVH solo album, and they just decided to put it out as VH. That album being bad had nothing to do with Cherone and everything to do with EVH experimenting. I also saw them on that tour and they were great. Cherone could do justice to both the Sammy and Dave stuff.

I know purists worship Dave, but I'd rather see Sammy and Mike rejoin the band and do one last album and tour than this mess...

I disagree with Dave never being a vocalist.....I think he shines brilliantly on studio tracks such as "Running with the Devil" "The Cradle will Rock" and "Dance the Night Away" are 3 songs that come to mind....I can't imagine those 3 songs being sung without Dave...

Saw Van Halen live twice, both in 1978. First with Rolling Stones and the Doobies in the Superdome, second time with Black Sabbath later that fall. Both shows were great, and when I think of VH that is my reference.

I saw some video this week on Palladia where they were playing in L.A. in support of their live album. (I'm thinking it was "Live From Daryl's House" show but I'm not certain of it.) Of all VH albums, I've always liked the DLR ones the best, but this wasn't what I was expecting. Diamond Dave had difficulty hitting some notes he used to hit with ease, and he looked a little rough too. So the years have not been kind to him, but it was good to see him out there giving a go of it. At least he has kept his body in shape and he wasn't lacking in enthusiasm. If anything, he was a little too enthusiastic - seemed to me as if he was trying a little too hard. Eddie sounded like his old self.

Saw Van Halen live twice, both in 1978. First with Rolling Stones and the Doobies in the Superdome, second time with Black Sabbath later that fall. Both shows were great, and when I think of VH that is my reference.

I saw some video this week on Palladia where they were playing in L.A. in support of their live album. (I'm thinking it was "Live From Daryl's House" show but I'm not certain of it.) Of all VH albums, I've always liked the DLR ones the best, but this wasn't what I was expecting. Diamond Dave had difficulty hitting some notes he used to hit with ease, and he looked a little rough too. So the years have not been kind to him, but it was good to see him out there giving a go of it. At least he has kept his body in shape and he wasn't lacking in enthusiasm. If anything, he was a little too enthusiastic - seemed to me as if he was trying a little too hard. Eddie sounded like his old self.

Not making high notes isn't the problem to me. The problem I have is that he's not really singing at all. He's talking his way through the lyrics, even messing that up.

I JUST now watched the tracks from Ellen, and I thought Dance the Night Away was entirely passable on the DLR front, while Jump, I thought was awful. DLR was never really consistent from night to night, ever, but inconsistency from song to song makes cringe every time. shit, I can't believe he's 60 this year, still not cutting him any slack!

@Matt from OC - I think I get where you're coming from, but the "singing" of yesterday seemed to have a bit more effort, as has been mentioned here. I didn't see VH until Women and Children First, and they were so effing loud (and yes the place was a bit smoky :Smokedev: ) I didn't recognize And The Cradle Will Rock until he delivered the "Have you seen junior's grades?" line. My ears took a worse beating at that show than listening to him now! :)

I wish I would have seen the Cherone tour. I don't hate that album because of him, I actually really like him as a singer, it's just the songs themselves were just terrible to me.....

I wish I would have seen the Cherone tour. I don't hate that album because of him, I actually really like him as a singer, it's just the songs themselves were just terrible to me.....

I'm kinda sad that didn't work out. I always thought that Cherone would have been great fronting VH, but the reality didn't match up.