VIRGIN STEELE - Nocturnes of Hellfire & Damnation

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
VIRGIN STEELE - NEW ALBUM TITLE CHANGED, ARTWORK REVEALED

More details from David DeFeis at the link above...

"... Musically the album is pretty heavy, high energy, often dark, at turns melancholy, and at turns aggressive or angry sounding. It does have that over the top bombastic heaviness that we are about, and the whole Barbaric-Romantic thing that we are known for."

SPV / Steamhammer will release the new studio album on June 17th in Scandinavia, June 19th in Germany, June 22nd in Europe and June 23rd in North America.

It will come out with three different covers as a standard 1CD version (the gargoyle cover), 2CD digipak version (the angel cover), 2 LP gatefold version (the flute playing skeleton cover) and download.

p19jtajf8dkkg1et9ol0ee24t84.jpg

p19jtajf8d122reolv7r1mnfl625.jpg

p19jtajf8d18he1t2jbl092411ag6.jpg

By and large the songs sound really strong. But OMG... what the f**k are those high pitched squeals (ex: Lucifer's Hammer, 3:12)? That may be the worst noise I've ever heard a singer make.

This album is actually outstanding straight up METAL. Catchy riffs, great vocal melodies, and a great production. VS has been around a LONG time so yes, they have an old school "cheese" factor but these guys get a free pass...great album!

David loves a good squeal! I think he used to squeal and yelp far less in the old days but I think he just sees it as part of his vocal repertoire now and keeps using it throughout the songs. His vocals have gotten far less aggressive over the years though. Just the usual age thing. I just realised that Black Sun, Black Mass reminds me a bit of Mind Body Spirit a bit at times.

Not that sure about the "great production" with these samples. But the songs seem like a big improvement in term of refound heaviness compared to the latest albums.

BTW, for Black Mass, looks like David recycled some old stuff. He recorded an album of horror metal with deathy vox, Nightmare Theatre, under the name Exorcist in the 80s.
Check out the original version, you'll surely recognize the chorus at 1:33. The new Virgin Steele version is only slower and with clean vox...

Last edited by a moderator:
By and large the songs sound really strong. But OMG... what the f**k are those high pitched squeals (ex: Lucifer's Hammer, 3:12)? That may be the worst noise I've ever heard a singer make.

You're right, it bugs me as well. He used to do this on the first 2 albums back in the beginning of the 80s, almost ruining some songs, then controlled the squealing on subsequent albums, but it seems it's back... Hope it'll remain minimal over the whole album...

It is really weird to hear Virgin Steel material with such modern production quality. I'm used to them being a little rough around the edges. But I think it sounds very good regardless.

You're right, it bugs me as well. He used to do this on the first 2 albums back in the beginning of the 80s, almost ruining some songs, then controlled the squealing on subsequent albums, but it seems it's back... Hope it'll remain minimal over the whole album...
It's the double-edge sword of a singular musical vision. Sometimes one guy knows exactly what he wants and how to achieve it. Having a second member acting as a filter would only dilute the brilliance of the primary member. Conversely, not having that filer and allowing the primary member to completely indulge every flight of fancy, can provide some awkward moments on the final product. In this case, someone needed to be in the studio to tell him, "No... just no."

Just gave these a listen. Sadly I don't think they will ever match the masterpieces that were the House Of Atreus.... :(

Just gave these a listen. Sadly I don't think they will ever match the masterpieces that were the House Of Atreus....

Funny, as that is the era I like the least..... The story overtook the songs too much.

Marriage of Heaven and Hell are the two albums I like the most overall.

Funny, as that is the era I like the least..... The story overtook the songs too much.

Both Marriage and Invictus are their best for me, along with Noble Savage, and a few songs from Age Of Consent. I like only selected songs from Atreus.

Ha! I know it's my taste. Other odd things I love:

Blaze era Maiden
Bush era Anthrax
Owen era Priest
Howe era Metal Church (love that he is back)
Kamelot with the original guy

There are more I can't think of at the moment :lol:

I'm even more interested in hearing this album after that review! My favorite part:

There are other worthwhile moments like the moody grind of “Devilhead” and the strange merger of greasy hard rock, grunge and metal on “We Disappear,” but the back-end of the album shits the bed more than any bed has ever been shat. The shittery begins with “Glamour” which is easily one of the worst songs of 2015. It takes bluesy riffs and combines them with pseudo-epic arrangements as DeFeis gives one of the most over-the-top, egomaniacal vocal performances in history, seemingly oblivious to the song his vocals were meant for. He overenunciates words to the nth degree, turning “fascination” into fascinat-schone,” he coos seductively, uses Eric Adams-like rough barks and attempts strange baritones. It’s a total shit show without scheme, design or direction.