Visigoth being released by Swords & Chains Records

Yeah, but you can find record players on store shelves. Hell, it's easier to find a turntable than it is a straight-up CD player these days. I don't know anyone who still owns a tape deck.

Yeah, but you can find record players on store shelves. Hell, it's easier to find a turntable than it is a straight-up CD player these days. I don't know anyone who still owns a tape deck.

That's not a reflection on anything. I know tons of musicians but can't think of anyone I know who owns an oboe, doesn't mean that oboes are useless or out-of-date or unused or whatever.

Ultimately we're never going to agree on this, it'll keep being me saying it's still a valid way for music to be released, Bob saying it has no market to it has a market in people he doesn't like to it has a market for a demographic to which he doesn't belong to saying they're made for kids (because songs about zombies, warriors/thunder/steel, and Satan are certainly made for the err, mature, listener), and Jason straddling the line between us both. Blackguard thread pt 2, anyone?

Hrmmmm..
I am not sure if cassette releases are marketed towards Johnny come latelys.....
I always looked at that as nothing more than a low cost medium.

Reissues of old classic albums on vinyl? Absolutely!!!!

come on...if there was some kid passing out cassettes at a show...most people would just toss them. If the best thing you can do is hand out an inferior product...it isnt gong to reflect well on your band. Unless your band already has some credibility already this is the only way this could work.

You can barely find blank cassette tapes for sale now a days. VHS is stopped already. Tape formats are pretty much dead.

So Brain...if 8-tracks were suddenly reelased would you buy your stuff on those?

sorry....you can get CD's made super cheap. I work in video production and duplication....I know the prices.

If someone truly wanted to get the music out there you would put it on a format everyone has access too? Am I right? This isnt a dig against Mike but just in general.

come on...if there was some kid passing out cassettes at a show...most people would just toss them. If the best thing you can do is hand out an inferior product...it isnt gong to reflect well on your band. Unless your band already has some credibility already this is the only way this could work.

You can barely find blank cassette tapes for sale now a days. VHS is stopped already. Tape formats are pretty much dead.

So Brain...if 8-tracks were suddenly reelased would you buy your stuff on those?

sorry....you can get CD's made super cheap. I work in video production and duplication....I know the prices.

If someone truly wanted to get the music out there you would put it on a format everyone has access too? Am I right? This isnt a dig against Mike but just in general.

I toss out most CD demos I get at shows because I can tell that they likely suck. Has absolutely nothing to do with the format and everything to do with the name, artwork, FFO list, etc.

I can't find blank vinyl either (lol).....what's your point? We're not talking about blank media, we're talking about recorded, for sale media.

If I could get an 8-track player and the 8-tracks sound good and are reasonably priced, yeah, I would. A format's just a platform....if it works, it works! I'm not even saying that tape is BETTER than vinyl or CD's. It isn't. But it still works, in some cases are better than vinyl and CD's, and people still want them, and that's been the whole point of this discussion. Not every single person wants them, but there is a market. Hell I just bought 2 today.

So really what you're saying is that this guy should turn into an mp3-only label? Because CD players are starting to disappear. Even in computers. MP3 is the format that everyone has access to.

If it's so 'trendy' why aren't we seeing re-releases like on vinyl? I can't even think of any albums that have had tape re-releases. It's almost exclusively used for new music. Like, you know, the demos we've been discussing the whole thread. But I believe we've come full-circle and are back at the 'no market' argument, so everything is in balance.

It's just like zines. Are you going to find Metal Maniacs at Barnes & Noble anymore? What about Metal Edge? Must mean that nobody likes them anymore because of the superior internet format!!!!!!
But you know as well as anyone that zine culture is alive and well.....

it boils down to people wanting to be underground so hard. Sorry man, your statements are making you out to be a wanna be KVLT fanboy who claims he knows all because he read it online.

I lived through 8-track, vinyl, cassette, CD, mp3's and so on.

Just cant jump on the cassette bangwagon.

You claim you toss away CD demos because it looks cheap? so a cassette with a xerox cover isnt looking cheap?

Uh no, I pretty explicitly said I toss them away because "nothing to do with the format and everything to do with the name, artwork, FFO list, etc." Nowhere in there did I mention cheap.....
Back to the standard "i have nothing to say so i'll just call things I don't like hipsters and people with different view-points online know-it-alls" I see....what a shame, it was fun up until now.

just calling it as I see it.

so basically we have....

- people who dig cassettes

- people who hate cassettes and think they are for hipsters and johnny come latelys

- people who just want to hear music no matter what the format is

It is also interesting to see the age groups of each catagory here. It would be interesting to see a larger poll taken just to see how the general metal fan / collector thinks

Bob - Let's face it.... Marketing and promotions is NOT your strong suit................
Don't even get me started...........

If I knew that there was a market for my band's demo to be released on cassette, would I do it?
HELL YEAH!!!!

Who cares if its the current trend? Trend or not, if it's what sells, then great!

Though its your preferred format, the CD format is dying, and not slowly.

I do agree with you though that CDRs with color inserts can be produced relatively inexpensively.

I have a couple CD-R demos with color covers and look really nice. I understand the cassette is for collectors, it is a lame thing to collect but hey, all the young kids out there want to experience something that they missed out on? go a month without the internet or cell phones.

I think this will be my first tattoo:
l.jpg

I have a couple CD-R demos with color covers and look really nice.

If you can put them out and sell them for $5 or less, then great!

I too have a few band released CDRs (from TROUBLE and OMEN mainly).
Though for those bands its a little bit different since there is guaranteed demand.

I would like to point out that most people ive talked to that are interested in this cassette release and that have told me to hold one for them (guys that run distros, labels, and other online metal/review sites) are actually around the same age as you saying that this is for kids that want this only, guys that went through the same eras of music formats as you. So it's not just kids who want this.

Pure and simple, i like tapes for demos/eps/ and maybe some short live concerts of young new bands, period. And this will be a tape label for awhile, period. If you dont like cassettes, you dont have to buy them, they arent geared towards people who dont like them, theyre geared toward people who like them. If you want the music on cd then go download it, burn it to a cd, print the artwork, and boom you have a cd copy and you didnt have to spend a dime on it; ive done that before.

If you want a tape deck/cd player/turntable go to Target and buy a combo one like me, its a $100. "But Mike, those things suck and will ruin my vinyl and break everything and dont sound amazing!" But i can listen to music, isnt that what were trying to do? Listen to the music we love? I dont buy music to let it sit around and not listen to it. If i think itll be worth money one day or a collectors item ill buy 2 copies and not use 1. I buy music to listen to it.

Bob, i think you should start your own label since you have all this extra money laying around and the know how to do everything ;)

Are you kidding?
Bob is in charge of online promotion for Ragnarokkr.....
We see how well that's going..........

"Oh, Jason, why would I post about it on THAT forum. No one posts there. No one will care."

Yea, Bob Byrne is my friend. I would not want him working for my label or band though...

Are you kidding?
Bob is in charge of online promotion for Ragnarokkr.....
We see how well that's going..........

"Oh, Jason, why would I post about it on THAT forum. No one posts there. No one will care."

Yea, Bob Byrne is my friend. I would not want him working for my label or band though...

I am not the online Promotions guy....mike just put that their as a title. So get off your highhorse. I just help out where I can. I am not some promotions guy. I never claimed to be.

I call it like I see it. as WE have discussed many times...people on forums always claim they will be at shows but 80% never come. The best way to advertise is at shows or as we said in local papers / music mags like the Reader or IE.

Look at all the shows we post about here....maybe 1 person shows up but they would have already gone since they may have heard that band before and wanted to see them.

People who count facebook likes and judges that on how well a band will draw or do is crazy. It is advertising and getting the word out.

SteelFireRecs;10434913Bob said:
I used to have a small video fanzine. I distrubuted it all myself and sold a lot more than I thought I would have. It even got released on DVD and was in Virgin Records stores and most major stores online since the label that put it out was distributed by a major.

I do have LOTS of know how on running a business / label. Back in the DIY punk days lots of people were doing this. It just takes that extra push to want to do it.

Look at all the shows we post about here....

Well, therein lays the problem......
The majority of promotion has been, well, here!
(IE - the same 10 people who converse here daily)

My point is simply you get SO hung up on your personal opinion of something that you can't open up to a different point of view.

The cassette / vinyl discussion is one.....

Your methods for promoting this fest is another.

I am on a high horse????
I am "calling it like I see it", bro!!!!!!!!!! :loco:

I never claimed to be a promtions guy. I am not a push or obnoxious person. I leave that up to others. I spread the word about shows or bands I like to people who I know will like them. You act and talk like I am some main guy behind the fest. I am not. This is Chris and Mikes fest. I just help out and lend a hand when needed or if I can. Mike has faith in my judgement because almost all times I have been pretty much right on the nose about stuff.

You are the only person who is bringing up promoting and stuff.

You are the only person who is bringing up promoting and stuff.

Well, someone better be bringing it up!!!! :)

Ok, you might be taking a lot of punches, since Mike and Chris don't post here. I want to see the fest do well just like everyone else.
That's why I post about it on other forums.