WANT ANOTHER BAND THIS YEAR???? (update 5/4)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Considering ProgPower USA is the most unique metal festival in the world with the most dedicated and unique fans in the world, let me throw something unique out and see what happens.

I have been approached by a band to see if there was interest in having them perform at the festival *this* year. They want to do it. That says a lot about the band. That would mean seven bands on each day. I would juggle the roster a bit in terms of times and give them 60 minutes in a 5th slot. None of the original bands get their sets cut. Things you should know about this band:

*They have a broader appeal than the standard ProgPower fanbase. It could help pull in some new fans. They are a band on the rise around the world.
*They have toured the U.S. previously in a direct support slot and outdrew the headliner in terms of attendance.
*They would kick off their headlining tour in Atlanta at the festival with a new album out.
*They have sold more records in the U.S. than any other band on the roster other than Kamelot & Hammerfall.
*I can attest to how great they are live. They are high energy.
*Some people will freak out about them, others will take a dinner break, others will hate them. In other words, just like every band announced.

With that said, I cannot simply say “yes.” Based on how well ticket sales are going, I do not believe there is anything for me to actually gain from booking them. In fact, I am 100% sure I would be losing money. That’s not something I’ll do regardless of the “wow” factor involved.

So I’m going to lay it out there for the fans to decide if they want to take a chance on the band. You decide. I will pay for a maximum of 2/3 of the fee required to get the band. I would take donations via PayPal to cover the other 1/3. If the fans meet that minimum, then I will book and announce the band. If the goal is not met, then I will refund 100% of the donations made and tell you who I did not book. There is no minimum on the donation amount. Hell, even $5 may make the difference. We have 48 hrs to meet a booking deadline. Otherwise, I decline.

Obviously, it’s a bit of a risk because you don’t know who the band is. You only have my judgment on selecting bands over the past decade to help make your decision.

Kick-ass addition? Or easy come..easy go… I’m fine either way.

You decide.

Paypal donations: ppusa@metalages.com

It would be nice to know at least a little something about the band musically, and perhaps the monies needed to be donated. I would be happy to have another band on the roster, and a free sponsorship next year would be worth it completely. I'd be willing to talk about sponsoring this band blindly for a free sponsorship next year, depending on at least the music style and money. I've got to sponsor to get my camera in anyway...

So should I email you to discuss it, or...?

I cannot describe the actual music style without giving the band away with what I have already described. Please do not roll the dice unless you are comfortable with your decision. You should base the sponsorship consideration not necessarily on this year, but what you are getting next year.

The main point that I want to emphasize is that the donations will be refunded 100% if we don't hit the minimum (which I will not discuss).

I'm generally against making the day any longer. As much as I love the music, it's rough physically.

However, I think the final determination should be whether or not the band will help ticket sales this year, and possibly in future years. It sounds like they may be a band who would do that. If so, I say go for it. Unfortunately, I won't be sponsoring anybody this year - even $5 - because every dollar I spend now, reduces the chances we'll be at the festival.

It would be nice to know at least a little something about the band musically

Financially I wouldn't be able to help out really, but possibly for some change I would. Like Nailz said though, to know something musically about them would help I think. What intrigues me is that they've outdrawn their headliners, yet have not outsold Hammerfall or Kamelot. Before that statement, I had an idea of who it might be but now I have no clue what so ever. :lol:

Regardless though, I wouldn't mind another band, but at the same time if you're eating it up Glenn and they don't help sell tickets or pull more fans in this year or future years I don't see the point. Just my 2 cents.

Dammit, I hate being titillated!

However, i'm a bit of a gambling man, and I think I can scrounge together another 50 bucks to find out!

Curses. I have a few guesses but who knows. A sponsorship every year is worth it, a 2 for 1 deal is pretty unbeatable. A high energy band live would be good enough for me. I don't want to be stuck in front of the rail for an hour for a band that just stands there is all. I want a band that's dynamic on stage. Anyway, I'm most likely in, just have to make sure finances are in order. I'll let you know in a few days.

And on a fan related front, I'd have to say surprises you've sprung on us have never been anything short of incredibly well received, so I'm, and others, should be able to put the trust in that it's worth it.

edit: less than 2 days. :p

I cannot describe the actual music style without giving the band away with what I have already described.

Now THAT sounds pretty nifty in its own right. Implied unique-ness.

The main point that I want to emphasize is that the donations will be refunded 100% if we don't hit the minimum (which I will not discuss).

What the hell, I'm in for a bit.

I could sponsor this year but not sure about next year. Or if I'll even be able to go next year as we just started talking about a group trip to Japan.

Sure, I'd love to see Ratt! :lol:

Just kidding. I have two pretty serious guesses as to who this band is, but I'm not going to mention them.

To answer your question with another question: Would this set a dangerous precedent going forward? I mean, I'm sure you don't want tons of bands emailing you, mid-year every year, begging to get on this year's roster.

Then again, you've already done it with one band this year (Leaves' Eyes)... so why not another? Also, in the event that a couple of bands run into visa issues, you might be inclined not to look for replacement bands, since you've already got seven per night and two bands are "extra". This would, potentially, make your life a lot easier.

So I say "go for it." I'm in... I'm already a sponsor, so what's another few bucks?

keep in mind people, he isn't asking for just 500 dollar sponsors! Just don't go out to eat for lunch the next two days and give the money up for another great band option!

I would just hate to see a missed opportunity for another great band! :(