Warner absorbs Roadrunner Records EU and UK, people lose jobs, bands get pissed

I am getting bored with it myself. I think I rather walk the nine circles of hell than read through these circles again.
I think Aeon and Matt are wasting their time and effort explaining these things. And if Nailz and the Dcowboy seem to have a hold on this "biz" then put your money where your mouth is, give it a go.

You must not have read most of my recent posts in this topic since I was pretty much only giving examples of labels/bands/whatever succeeding and doing things well. What reason would I or anyone else have to 'give it a go' when other people are already doing a good job? And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am planning to start a small distro anyway once my band presses our demo, so I'll let you know the results, eh? I never claimed to have a hold on the "biz", only that there are other, more 'successful' (subjectively) methods that already work, are not new, and were being completely dismissed. If I did have a hold on things I would not be giving away all my secret hidden knowledge for free on the PPUSA board, I would be making millions upon millions.

I even flat out said that if your end goal is to live off your band and have your album distributed in major retail stores that what I was suggesting would not work, so I don't even know what you're getting at.

Out of curiosity, do you consider Manowar to be a successful metal band?

Of course!!!!
Any band who has marketed themselves in such a way where new material isn't a revenue source I think has done a GREAT job. They are in the same position as Pearl Jam is today, and how the Dead were. They release new material when THEY are ready to, and its not just for the sake of keeping their name out there.

Not to get too far off topic, but it was brought up before about the future of format. I believe in the future many bands will simply offer their music for free on their own site.

The SMASHING PUMPKINS do this today and I personally think it is frickin' brilliant (Regardless of what you think of them). Once I heard they were doing this, it made me go to their webite. I would not have otherwise. They release songs / EPs as they are ready as opposed to a full length which will never satisfy a major label sales wise. Since doing this, the Pumpkins have already done a handful of smaller tours of which most dates sold out.

I would certainly think their approach to releasing their tunes for free has a LOT to do with it. Certainly they were not playing as big of venues for their last couple of major label releases.

Anyhow, to answer your original question, yes, MANOWAR are an extremely successful band.

If anyone ever wonders why I have chosen to be in a tribute band as opposed to an original band, I think you have the answer tenfold!!!

I simply want to play music I enjoy without the stress of recording budgets, attracting label interest, cost, and CD/record sales. As a relatively new tribute band, we operate 100% DIY and that's the only way I would want to do it at this point.

The drummer of my band once had dinner with Joey MANY years ago.
Joey is VERY open about the reality of being in a band.
Sure, maybe he doesn't seem humble on stage, but apparently he is a very open and honest guy about things.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, from the long story I heard, the biggest take away from me was this Joey statement:

"The bands who make it have family who support them 100% By support, that's primarily financial. Parents have to support you in your musical endevours just as much as they would support sending you off to college"

Obviously someone was paying for their gear, stage shows, and outfits in the early days right!

"The bands who make it have family who support them 100% By support, that's primarily financial. Parents have to support you in your musical endeavors just as much as they would support sending you off to college"

This. period. haha!

The drummer of my band once had dinner with Joey MANY years ago.
Joey is VERY open about the reality of being in a band.
Sure, maybe he doesn't seem humble on stage, but apparently he is a very open and honest guy about things.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, from the long story I heard, the biggest take away from me was this Joey statement:

"The bands who make it have family who support them 100% By support, that's primarily financial. Parents have to support you in your musical endevours just as much as they would support sending you off to college"

Obviously someone was paying for their gear, stage shows, and outfits in the early days right!

Whitechapel opened for us in Nashville in 2006 and i still remember our guitarist coming up to me and asking if i had seen their gear. he said it was easily $5000-6000 worth of gear. could have been more actually but i have forgotten, but the sentiment was the same with them being so young that someone was bankrolling the band we thought, but we could be wrong. they could have had killer jobs too.

I've heard from a few people that that's not real. Manowar has its own OFFICE in Germany with employed people and the band makes hundreds of thousands of dollars per show in Europe alone.

I have no idea. I have seen that story before too.
The main point I was trying to make though is that being young and "bankrolled" will certainly help you get started!

Good gear, buy on to shows, funded recordings, etc, etc, all easier if mom and dad are paying..........

Manowar has a separate US crew and a Europe crew.
A guy I knew from High School for a period of time was their Motorcycle tech.

Manowar is a business that runs like a fine tuned machine.

I don't know if the office is in Germany or in the comfort of Joey's P's basement!!!!

Either way, like em or not, MANOWAR = SUCCE$$!!!!!

I've heard from a few people that that's not real.

Guys named Joseph DeMaio and Louis Marullo own(ed*) the houses that MI claims they own. You can look it up yourself. http://71.176.110.94/imo/search.aspx The only way for it to be "not real" is if that particular Joseph DeMaio and Louis Marullo in Auburn, NY are not the same as the Joey DeMaio and Eric Adams that are members of Auburn, NY-based heavy metal band Manowar. Or if they're real-estate moguls and simply rent these properties out without actually living there.

* actually, since that article was published in 2009, Joey sold the house to his brother Mark for $1 (he had bought it from his parents for $1 in 2001). There's no record of another home purchase by him in Auburn, so that means either he sold it because he really has been living in a mansion in the Hamptons and got sick of managing the property from a distance, or, he moved in with Karl Logan!

No, it was very intentional, I quite liked the phrasing you used to describe the non-obvious-but-still-critical effects of promotion, and wanted to restate the point to make sure it wasn't missed. And the fact that we agree on this point means it MUST be true, right? :D

Neil

oh, we are more right than some people would like to give us credit for. hahaha. :D

So did you ever BUY those albums you found out about online or did you just download them illegally? hahahaha.

Proving my point for me with a fine example, thanks. hahaha.

No, I never bought a single Elvenking Album, became friends with the band, hung out with their violinist in Dublin, or sponsored them for Progpower USA. Oh, wait, shit, yes I did, all of that.

As far as Freternia went? I heard Woods of the Elvenking and bought Warchants and Fairytales the next day, as an England import. I bought A Nightmare Story the day it was released directly from the band, and spent a fair amount of time advocating them on this very forum.

So, ya, general assumptions about my character are awesome. Do you want a napkin for the egg that's all over your face?

oh, we are more right than some people would like to give us credit for. hahaha. :D

Here's the thing: nobody is saying you are wrong.

Nobody here thinks that a record label will hurt your promotion more than it will help you. But it is not the ONLY way! Not every band discovery is a result of a label or PR team! There are plenty of bands on smaller, less generous labels that do just as well as bands on 'big' metal labels and that's the point that keeps getting missed. Record label really means nothing until you define a certain size/impact since you know as well as I do that there are hundreds of small labels that can't afford to provide any type of tour support or things like that.

No, I never bought a single Elvenking Album, became friends with the band, hung out with their violinist in Dublin, or sponsored them for Progpower USA. Oh, wait, shit, yes I did, all of that.

As far as Freternia went? I heard Woods of the Elvenking and bought Warchants and Fairytales the next day, as an England import. I bought A Nightmare Story the day it was released directly from the band, and spent a fair amount of time advocating them on this very forum.

So, ya, general assumptions about my character are awesome. Do you want a napkin for the egg that's all over your face?

Egg on my face? After that comment? Really? hahaha, classic. A bit full of yourself aren't you? Not to be rude, but I could really give a crap about your character, chief, it doesn't really alter my daily course. Plus, it's a messageboard is there such a thing as character assassination here? You brought up P2P and i asked a question for clarification.

Glad you got to meet Elvenking. I got to shake hands with the drummer of Sadus (he is kind of in Futures End too, i guess) and he handed me a free Futures End CD for knowing he was in Sadus. Actually i have run into all kinds of random music guys at PP over the years. Does that make me special too? or just sponsorship? or becoming friends with another person? hahaha. I guess i am a person who doesn't put musicians on pedestals so meeting them or becoming friends with them isn't anything special because deep down they are just another person on this planet, no different from you or i.

Here's the thing: nobody is saying you are wrong.

Nobody here thinks that a record label will hurt your promotion more than it will help you. But it is not the ONLY way! Not every band discovery is a result of a label or PR team! There are plenty of bands on smaller, less generous labels that do just as well as bands on 'big' metal labels and that's the point that keeps getting missed. Record label really means nothing until you define a certain size/impact since you know as well as I do that there are hundreds of small labels that can't afford to provide any type of tour support or things like that.

oh YOU are WRONG. hahaha, i am kidding. trying to lighten the mood.

Glad you got to meet Elvenking. I got to shake hands with the drummer of Sadus (he is kind of in Futures End too, i guess) and he handed me a free Futures End CD for knowing he was in Sadus. Actually i have run into all kinds of random music guys at PP over the years. Does that make me special too? or just sponsorship? or becoming friends with another person? hahaha. I guess i am a person who doesn't put musicians on pedestals so meeting them or becoming friends with them isn't anything special because deep down they are just another person on this planet, no different from you or i.

Now, now Matt. Some people are still hanging pin-ups from Tigerbeat on their walls. HAHA For some that illegible scribble on a piece of paper from a guy who will only remember their name until the next lemming steps up is a very important achievement. And "knowing" a guy in a band IS certainly a big deal. Don't take that away from people.
Shame on you.

Now, now Matt. Some people are still hanging pin-ups from Tigerbeat on their walls. HAHA For some that illegible scribble on a piece of paper from a guy who will only remember their name until the next lemming steps up is a very important achievement. And "knowing" a guy in a band IS certainly a big deal. Don't take that away from people.
Shame on you.

LOL! God back in the day every girl I dated had those pin ups or band posters from Metal Edge on their walls.

Til this very day I have NEVER been into the autograph craze, and the "meet and greet" thing. I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel to meet a band. These are musicians not Gods. Luckily I am personal friends with a ton of musicians but even if I wasn't I would never pay to meet them.

I have the reverse thought process than most....I prefer my memorabilia NOT autographed because IMO they make something less mint haha. I know autographs rack in big money but not in my thought process especially in todays age and technology....a forgery and a fake certificate of authenticty is easy (I know I know most on here get them for memories, and personal collections).

Years ago I went to a Mike Portnoy drum clinic, and afterwards he let us get in line for a quick hi and autographs. When I got up to him I just thanked him for a lot of drum inspiration.....and then he goes "so what do you want me to sign for you?". I'm like nothing just wanted to say thanks. The look he gave me was priceless haha then I walked off.

LOL! God back in the day every girl I dated had those pin ups or band posters from Metal Edge on their walls.
Til this very day I have NEVER been into the autograph craze, and the "meet and greet" thing. I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel to meet a band. These are musicians not Gods. Luckily I am personal friends with a ton of musicians but even if I wasn't I would never pay to meet them.

Not sure I was really heading that direction; Though I have a few and might every now and then get one I'll still can't understand people who are obsessive over it. But for some people I guess that is a cornerstone for them.
I just will never be able to grasp how people are so star struck.

Not sure I was really heading that direction; Though I have a few and might every now and then get one I'll still can't understand people who are obsessive over it. But for some people I guess that is a cornerstone for them.
I just will never be able to grasp how people are so star struck.

I agree. Standing in line with 200 people to get the same thing signed isnt special. A band isnt going to remember you 30 seconds after signing your record. I have never been an autograph guy at all. I have a freind who is a huge celeb autograph freak and we go to these movie conventions and all these stars are there and you pay a crazy amount of money to have them sign stuff and take photos. When ever my freind is getting stuff signed I always make some off color remark to embarass him. The celebs always crack up because they know the lemmings are so star struck. I have met some really nice celebs that way, I think they feel comfortable with me since I am not star stuck and all "you were the best" comments. Almost a relief they dont have to talk about the biz.

Like Metal madman said....I dont want any of my stuff messed up with someones name on it.