what do you miss the most in todays music

masterworks

Mar 26, 2009
Frederick, md
Listening to music over the years is a growing experience;
sometimes even educational.
but there are times when I wish, for instance, that more bands would mix epics
in keyboard extravaganza, aka tony banks, or rick wakeman with early yes..

if there is something you miss that time has forgotten,
or misplaced
what is it?

jw:Spin:

:wave:

Agree with Leyth...a little more emphasis on tasty guitar solo's and even a little more keyboards in the newer music would be nice...maybe even get some good bands on the radio so the brainwashed that don't search out a lot of the music we like could discover it...also I miss when music was more positive and less angry.

I miss that 70's "warm" studio sound the most. It seems that alot of the current production is very sterile and clinical, if that makes any sense.

I also miss the more positive approach to music. I guess the angry, pissed off attitude is a reflection of the times we live in.

Does Art imitate life or does life imitate Art?????:wave:

I miss that 70's "warm" studio sound the most. It seems that alot of the current production is very sterile and clinical, if that makes any sense.

I also miss the more positive approach to music. I guess the angry, pissed off attitude is a reflection of the times we live in.

Does Art imitate life or does life imitate Art?????:wave:

You hit the nail on the head Chris...the music from the 70's when it was recorded analog had a warmer, crisper less processed sound.

You hit the nail on the head Chris...the music from the 70's when it was recorded analog had a warmer, crisper less processed sound.

But,( IMO)the Music was recorded a lot lower.. then,, Prog cds seem to be Louder in recording .. When I spin my ""ClassicRock"" cds, Vs. Todays Progressive cds, I always have to turn up the Volume..... & no I have a brand new stereo system thats 4 months old...:D:wave:

Bob:

What you are talking about is compression. Loudness is what is killing the listening experience. If you have to turn up the volume that is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on, Ken! Too much compression and not enough dynamics anaymore. The musical explosions are just not that drammatic when the quiet parts are just as loud. :bah:

Yeah, a lot of newer releases don't sound very good because there is too much compression and limiting in the mix and mastering, which leaves a smaller dynamic range and gives me ear fatigue. Other issues I hear a lot of are too much in the mix without any space, and the proper recording of drums.

Educationally, the one thing I have done is put in 48 college hours, at Omega studios in Kensington, md;
where I was taught to set up, mixed and master in analog.
dare I say, Ken is right in his opinions, and lest we forget;
he's more the audio engineer than the rest of us.

having said that, the time I spent at Omega taught me, not only how to listen,
but what to listen for;
and it is in that I hear and appreciate better the way music is recorded.

If any of you ever get the chance to study at a quality recording studio
run, don't walk, and grab the chance.
its worth the time and money

jw

I agree on the loudness issue. My ears get fatigued real easily when i'm listening to a hot album.

I also miss on how to listen to an album. Now I only listen to songs...I guess there's just so much music out there you just don't have time to digest and absorb the music, you just hear it.

I have been noticing that many metal bands have been "down tuning" guitars and lowering the bass (ex. Nevermore). I prefer regular tuning and very heavy and prominent low end bass like Grand Funk, Uriah Heep.

Yes, I know that there are still many bands with this....but you know how trends can take over. The worst for me was the sound of snare drums in the eighties (Ex. Def Leppard). They were way too loud with too much echo and sustain....sounded like an explosion.

Great thread! For me this all comes under the sound umbrella -- texture. Thanks for explaining it in this manner.

I know it's not for everyone, but for current music I find these issues addressed in the RIO/Avant groups like Ahvak and Yugen etc.

Re compression alone -- If this is a known music strangler, why is it used? Money?

I agree on the loudness issue. My ears get fatigued real easily when i'm listening to a hot album.

I also miss on how to listen to an album. Now I only listen to songs...I guess there's just so much music out there you just don't have time to digest and absorb the music, you just hear it.

Well put my friend...these bands coming out one after an other putting out 80 minute CD's...it's almost like their trying to monopolize your listening time...you just can't absorb the sheer amount of music most of us buy anymore...you do just listen to it...maybe that's why the music I still enjoy the most is the stuff that had time to sink in from the past...the albums were 35 - 45 minutes and you could listen to the whole album without getting side tracked.

Loudness with no separation is also a big issue and can make even good albums hard to listen to...most times they either put me to sleep or give me a headache...I love a good drum sound and some powerful bass that sounds crisp and tight..and hate when the drums are so loud they are actually distored.

I miss the fact that as some of these great songwriters get old, all of their genius just slips away. Do they get complacent? Why does it seem the young can craft masterpieces but as they get older, they have no inspiration. You can name tons of bands like that. The Stones, ELP, Zeppelin and on and on. I won't take them all. Go ahead, I'll bet you can name several yourself.