What is your favorite local venue?

Tide In Mind Out

ct_thrash
Mar 5, 2002
So what is yours? The Jaxx thread got me thinking about a couple of the ones around here. I wouldn't be surprised if someone mentions the Troc in Philly as well, it's a fairly comfy place.

I've got a tie :erk:

First up, The Granada Theater in Dallas. Basically, you have ample standing room (general admission) in front of the stage, and then several levels of balconies with seats behind the standing room. The "seat" tickets cost a little more than general admission, but boy is it worth it. You get a seat and table on a balcony (the higher up the more table space), a waitress throughout the ENTIRE performance, great food and drinks, and freedom to roam where ever. If you wanna get up close to the stage for a while, go ahead (beer in hand), then go back to your comfy seat later. There's a bar & bathroom on top and bottom. Under 21'ers need not worry, anyone can go up to the bar and order what food and drinks their age will allow them.

The place looks pretty big but even on the higher levels you still have a great view of the performance. I *love* the way this place is painted.

Balconies:
8.jpg

View of standing room & where balconies start:
9.jpg

Outside:
3.jpg

Second...other side of town. The Ridglea Theater in Fort Worth. You've got the stage, standing room in front of the stage, then behind that are slightly elevated rows of theater seats, then behind that - on another slightly elevated level - is the bar/merch/pool table area. It's a very "open" feeling place and everyone is free to roam where ever. Then behind this area, there's a wall with a long hallway behind it, containing the bathrooms and some couches. The walls are painted kinda retro, it reminds me of The Shining. Also there's a head shop connected right to the side of it :loco:

Couldn't find pics of the inside, just the outside:
ridglea.jpg

i dunno....Slims is cool. Great American Music Hall is cool on the inside. as far as in town....Delta Venus has cool shows sometimes, but only really small bands, like Mammatus and Genghis Tron.

I haven't been to any of the Phoenix venues yet since I've been out here. My gf says The Dodge is pretty nice. Marilyn Manson is playing there next month.. i don't care to see him, but SHE does...

For big shows, The Fillmore:

P1010015a.jpg

fillmore.jpg

And the Gilman for local shows:

924_gilman.gif

gilman.jpg

yeah thats the way it is for me too except the pound would be the winner if they hadn't been shut down =/ fucken lame. i don't like the fact that the fillmore has no ins and outs but the outside hallway area is ok i guess.
edit: that first pic on the page reminds me of the avalon or whatever in la, when i saw immortal there if i was from la that'd be my favorite local venue. actual airconditioning, totally huge place with tons of balconies and couches and shit, mega awesome.

ive never been to the filmore. no one i want to see plays there. we almost went to P-Funk there, but it was too expensive for my cheap ass friends or sold out or something.

No clue, not a bad place really, mainly mainstream crap and big bands, i only went to see the sounds of the underground tour once, i prefer the meridian a lot more.

it was called Mom & Pop's Olde Time Theatre, and those corporate swine came in a kicked old mom & pop to the curb and now they live in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

my local is Doornroosje
400px-Doornroosje_nijmegen.jpg
Doornroosje_20071021_01_04.jpg

i like it because you get really close to the stage

and the Big local(well its on the other side of holland but that still is 2hours with the train...)

HeinekenMusicHall
voorgevelnieuw.jpg
gilmourdavidall2.jpg

almost always good sound and lots of space

yeah usually i see big acts at the palladium in Worcester, Mass but we have a nice small local venue called the Station in Portland that i've been to a couple of times, then we have the big venue the Cumberland County Civic Center.

I'm gonna have to say my favorite is the Trocadero. I wish I had some good photos but some people on here can vouch for me. The TLA is also an awesome place. It's along the same lines as the Troc but a tad bigger and a little more modern.