What works as an amp/speaker selector?

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I want to setup my amp rack so that multiple heads can run into some sort of switch that sends the output to a single speaker cab.

I have seen products like the Mesa High Gain Amp selector but that is for routing the guitar input into multple amp inputs.

I need something that I connect the head's speaker output to and can route it to a speaker cab.

I was thinking maybe my Neutrik Patch Bay might work but it appears as though you may not be able to run any powered signals through it.

So what else is out there so I dont have to keep unplugging a cable to switch to other heads?

I want to setup my amp rack so that multiple heads can run into some sort of switch that sends the output to a single speaker cab.

I have seen products like the Mesa High Gain Amp selector but that is for routing the guitar input into multple amp inputs.

I need something that I connect the head's speaker output to and can route it to a speaker cab.

I was thinking maybe my Neutrik Patch Bay might work but it appears as though you may not be able to run any powered signals through it.

So what else is out there so I dont have to keep unplugging a cable to switch to other heads?

You're not talking about a simple switching device, you need something to maintain the load on the amp when it's not in use.
This is the only thing I know of, but it's not exactly cheap:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Yeah, I wanted one of those for awhile when I thought I was gonna get a Fireball; I'd switch between the fireball and my Pod through a poweramp for dirty/clean, respectively (but then I got a JSX, which has an amazing clean tone, so no need!)

i've been working on a similar system during the last couple months:
IMG_20151002_210807.jpg

The KHE Amp-Cab-Router!

- fully digitaly controlled
- all amps are 100% safe (unused amps are muted and connected to a proper load)
- one or two cabinets can be activated to one amplifier
- cabinet-jacks are steadily supervised (no possibility of enable an amp without load)
- silent & low-latency switching-process
- midi-controllable (cc & pc commands)
- tuner output
- front- and rear instrument-input
- no need to remove earth-connections...(!)

2 versions are planned:
- ACR 4x2: 4 Amps, 2 Cabinets, half-19" / 1HE (see picture)
- ACR 8x4: 8 Amps, 4 Cabinets, 19" / 1HE

probably starting a kickstarter-campaing soon for a first production run!

let me know what you think!

cheers!
markus