Where do you buy your metal CDs?

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
Hello everyone! As with you guys, I am a huge fan of prog/power metal and I can't wait for ProgPower 3.0.

Thing is, having moved over to the US from Europe recently, I have hit a dead-end in finding decent CDs!? Although you can get some euro-power metal via websites, I find that you have to buy everything on Import.

I don't necessarily mind buying Import CD's, but I hate having to wait 3 weeks for them to show up. For example, the new Rhapsody CD has been out for a while now, and some of the major CD websites don't even list it in their catalogs. :cry: Worse still, some European CDs are imported from Japan which makes no sense!! :(

I'd appreciate any links / ideas. :)

P.S. I also understand that vendors sell CD's at ProgPower - I'll be readilly prepared, but I need my fix between now and November!!

belive it or not CDNOW isn't that bad a place to get releases..

CDUNIVERSE.com is about the same, but sometimes cheaper on the import price.

I used to have a local record store called ACES RECORDS that had everything any metal fan could dream about, but she closed up shop and has yet to put her net site up. www.acesrecords.com

I found that if you go directly to a lot of the band's labels you'll get it cheaper than going to another outlet. Check out the label for Rhpasody and you might be suprised to see them having a domestic price for you. I've bought stuff from their label a few months ago and received it in about 3-4 days and the cds were around $11.99 each. Not bad.

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out all the sites - I have to admit, I already went over to theendrecords.com and I was blown away. Very impressive indeed.

I agree that cduniverse.com is pretty good, except they didn't have a few titles like Nostradameus or Rhapsody.

CDnow shipping times are often a facade - when they say "3-5 days", they really mean "3-5 weeks"!

Thanks again.

I agree with Glenn, I've been doing business with the Laser's Edge for awhile and have had really good service. Often the import prices are half of what CDnow and CDUniverse are but unlike them they're usually in stock.

The one I've had the best luck with is The End Records (see link above). They have a great selection of Power Metal.

For Progressive metal and Prog Rock I'd recommend The Lasers Edge though I thought they were a few bucks higher.

Sentinal Steel is OK. They've got a nice selection but I can get the same Cd's at The End for a few bucks per CD cheaper and you don't have to pay the $5 shipping charge.

Another one that no one has mentioned is Nightmare Records run by Lance King (Balance of Power vocalist) His site is at http://www.nightmare-records.com

As for Vendors at the show last year Inside Out America was there, Lasers Edge, Century Media and Molten Metal (Am I missing anyone?) I don't know if Glen has more lined this year or not but all 4 last year had a nice selection of CD's and some magazines.

John

Luckily, i'm a DJ and get the majority of my cd's sent to me directly from the record company/marketing company. Unfortunately this means that 6 out of 10 cd's are in lame cardboard wallets (like the new Blind Guardian) so it does have some drawbacks but at least it's free.
Most of my metal comes from www.metaldisc.com they have lots of cheap dvd's too.
Check out my metal show on www.newrock907.com every Friday night from 10-2 CST, just click the banner 'on air' to listen in...
I just got off the phone with Hansi from BG. He was very nice, even though it was 1 in the morning in Germany. I'll be playing excerpts from the interview next week on April 5th on "The Metal Zone" listen in....

I live in the Chicagoland area so I am lucky enough to have a host of metal stores in driving distance from my lifeless suburia domain....Particularly in Chicago I like "Metal Haven" which can be found on Belmont on the north side, but I also like Impulse records in a town called Roselle northwest of Chicago....the interesting thing bout this store is that they also have a website with quite an extensive list to sastify those with "metal" needs....so this is the place where I get my "mailed" metal from. But if you are ever in Chicago, go to belmont and.... I forgot the intersection(I wanna say north, but I'm not sure, but it is definatley on Belmont, two blocks from the lake, really easy to find), but its right next to a chicken barbecue joint, and right before a walgreens. Small, but cool store, all kinds of metal.