Which genre spawns the most # of bands?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I'm curious as to what your opinions are on this. What type of music do you see more of out in the field? For a while, I would have said Power Metal, but every other day, I seem to find yet another site that specializes in "Black Metal" of sorts.

It just seems like there are thousands upon thousands of black metal bands with maybe one CD available from these "hole in the wall" websites. I'm not sure how anyone can keep up with the number of artists out there - are these guys on official labels? Self produced? Demos? How many 'one man bands' are out there now?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? And if so, what do you think the ratio is between the good vs. bad?

I'd say melodic death has surpassed power metal in the number of clones (or bands accused of being such), but I have definitely seen an influx of under the radar black metal & death metal, undoubtedly made responsible by the web's potential for spreading music...

There seems to be an infinite number of very much buried in the underground gore bands.

As far as not-so-underground, there are many many many melodic death bands.

BM, without doubt. Anyone that says different I can basically prove wrong. There are nearly infinite amounts of mediocre demo bands.

LET THE WAR BEGIN!!! :)

I must admit, I don't even like to see the thousands of bands out there that I've never heard of because I'll just end up buying more CDs than I have time to listen to.

NAD said:
LET THE WAR BEGIN!!! :)

I must admit, I don't even like to see the thousands of bands out there that I've never heard of because I'll just end up buying more CDs than I have time to listen to.
That's why I'm curious as to how much material is just utter crud. I hate the thought of having to sift through heaps of crap just to get to those few gems.

I wonder how many potentially classic albums go unnoticed just through lack of distribution or notoriety etc? I guess if they're that good, then word might spread eventually...but that implies that someone somewhere would have had to listen to it, and there are just too many unknown bands to choose from.

This theory applies to all genres obviously.

I agree, the fact that there are literally thousands of unsigned bands out there is a doubled edged sword...the vast majority sending demos to every magazine in sight or putting their music on mp3.com or IUMA or their websites might be mediocre, but then you run the risk of missing potential diamonds in the rough...