The best (and most relevant) bands in existence

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Right now, these are the bands that reign supreme, all with something unique and relevant to their sound going into 2005....

As per genre;

Heavy Metal: HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE

Pagan Metal: PRIMORDIAL

Death Metal: MELECHESH

Doom Metal: REVERREND BIZARRE

Viking Metal: MOONSORROW

Progressive Metal: ORPHANED LAND

Grey Metal: AGALLOCH :tickled: I didn't know where to put these guys....

Those are just off the top of my head, but I look at that list and I think, that's pretty fucking hard to dispute. Anyone care to modify? :Spin:

I couldn't really think of anyone for Black or Thrash metal....can anyone else? Maybe Negura Bunget for BM? I also tried to avoid going into sub-sub-genres like Funeral Doom (although that would be Skepticism).

Still, it's kinda cool how this can be so definitive. I feel like I'm at peace with my CD collection. :loco:

I nominate Taake for the Black Metal category. They stick to traditional style and are quite excellent all of the time (well, maybe some of the demos are a bit rough). As for Thrash: I'll leave that one for Pyrus, Erik or Mike.

From the track I've heard off the new Overkill, they will continue to deliver the thrash in the way that only they can deliver. There's no band that's managed to remain simultaneously relevant, innovative and true to their roots as long as they have.

Going entirely on Falkenbach's last album, they are rocking the Viking Metal world.

There's no band that's managed to remain simultaneously relevant, innovative and true to their roots as long as they have.

ummm ... Exodus ;)

Right now, these are the bands that reign supreme, all with something unique and relevant to their sound going into 2005....

As per genre;

Heavy Metal: HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE

LOL ... I don't think the band themselves take their stuff as seriously as you :D

Wow, so no dispute then. That was easy. I always knew subjectivity was overrated. :)

lurch70 said:
LOL ... I don't think the band themselves take their stuff as seriously as you :D
Well, I listed SEVEN bands of equal genius...!! :guh:

Tool, Kayo Dot, King Crimson, and Hammers of Misfortune. Nobody else really pushes the sonic and emotional envelopes like these three (EDIT: you added one at the last second, that brings the total to FOUR), at least not that I've heard.

One Inch Man said:
Tool, Kayo Dot, King Crimson, and Hammers of Misfortune.
Interesting - firstly, just for shits and giggles, if only one band can represent each genre, where do Tool, KC, and KD sit do you think? And if they each fill the same slot, which ONE band would you pick?

Also, do you think Tool and King Crimson are still relevant -- meaning, can they still surpass what they've already done in the past?

JayKeeley said:
Interesting - firstly, just for shits and giggles, if only one band can represent each genre, where do Tool, KC, and KD sit do you think? And if they each fill the same slot, which ONE band would you pick?
I dunno, subgenres are gay. :tickled: I'll probably enjoy Tool the most, KC has the most experience and could create something for the ages, and Kayo Dot will probably end up making an album that redefines music as we know it (since that nearly happened with Choirs of the Eye). I could throw them all under the progressive tag I suppose, since they actually progress instead of repeat over and over again like most so-called "progressive" acts do. Probably have to go with Tool if I could only pick one, it's borderline ridiculous how much they kick my ass."It defies beyond believable, defies beyond believable."
JayKeeley said:
Also, do you think Tool and King Crimson are still relevant -- meaning, can they still surpass what they've already done in the past?
Of course I do! Lateralus is the greatest album the 2000's have produced so far and the only album I've heard that even compares to ÆNIMA (greatest album of all time: fact :dopey: ), and The Power to Believe was Crimso's finest moment since 1973.

With that logic, you almost have to give it to Kayo Dot then, just because they came out of nowhere (sort of) and landed like a ton of bricks on some people. Tool and KC already proved themselves many times over, and neither are overtly recognized by the metal underground.

Has everyone heard the new Moonsorrow yet? It's like the Panopticon of viking metal.

I wouldn't say they came out of nowhere, there are people who thought MOTW was great and the Kayo Dot album sucked (idiots). I wouldn't define relevance as being able to top previous work as that puts bands like Crimson up to nearly impossible standards, my criteria would be resisting the nostalgia trap and continuing to explore new ground musically without jumping on trends...

One Inch Man said:
Lateralus is the greatest album the 2000's have produced so far and the only album I've heard that even compares to ÆNIMA (greatest album of all time: fact :dopey: )
ÆNIMA is a cool CD. The greatest CD of all-time? I don't think it would make my Top 300. "Aenema" (the song), however, would probably be among my Top 20 Greatest Songs of All-Time. As for Lateralus, I think it's self-indulgent dreck. Hey, different strokes for different folks.

Zod

AEnima has too many silly filler tracks in between the good ones, as does Lateralus to make either REALLY good albums...

Int said:
AEnima has too many silly filler tracks in between the good ones, as does Lateralus to make either REALLY good albums...

that's what always bugged me about these albums! i loved a bunch of the songs but then i'd always have to skip some (message for harry manback? lol)

Oh man, you fuckers are absolutely NO FUN if you don't like all those inbetween tracks. Message to Hairy Manback is HYSTERICAL! "You gonna die of cancer, I promise." :lol: