Your 10 fave bands today (not of all time OMG)

Hmm...Reverend Bizarre would be on the list if they didn't just crap out.

Solstice
Warning
The Gates Of Slumber
Pagan Altar
Summoning
Deathspell Omega
Nominon
Tribulation
Ares Kingdom
Ironsword

I have a strong feeling that Hour Of 13 will be on this list once their debut is unleashed in November.

edit: This is CURRENTLY ACTIVE bands.
edit2: + Drudkh somehow.

been playing the shit out of last few months:

High on Fire!
Mastodon
OM
Gojira
Black Sabbath
Motörhead
Danzig
Mr Bunlge
The Sword
Bongzilla

reefer madness!

I doubt I can do this, but I'll give it a try:

(no order)
Iron Maiden
Helloween
Grateful Dead
Widespread Panic
Led Zeppelin
Metallica (pre-Black Album)
Judas Priest
Amon Amarth
Thyrfing
Drive-By Truckers

Wolves in the Throne Room
Deathspell Omega
Drudkh
Spirit Caravan
DoomSword
Reverend Bizarre
Lunar Aurora
Warning
Pagan Altar
Candlemass

In no particular order:

Nevermore
Iced Earth
Opeth
Symphony X
Evergrey
Zero Hour
Tad Morose
Dark Tranquillity
Vanden Plas
Into Eternity
So, that's where my head was at on June 15th, 2004, 1:20 PM. Today (in no order)...

Nevermore
Iced Earth
Symphony X
Zero Hour
Redemption
Riverside
Circus Maximus
Amon Amarth
Drudkh
Corrosion of Conformity

It still seems, that the bands who most consistently produce music I love, are ProgPower type bands.

Zod

As of today, what I'm listening to the most is (I guess that means my favorites of today - today meaning 09/20/2007):

Iced Earth
Wolves in the Throne Room
Crown the Lost
Nae'blis
Destroyer 666
Virgin Steele
Circus Maximus
Malsain
Ares Kingdom
The Crown
Primordial
Burzum
Drudkh

Jason

Jason... what are your thoughts on the new Wolves? I've thrown it on a few times, and become distracted. But the little that I paid attention to, I wasn't impressed by.

I love it - but very much like the new Iced Earth, it's not a disc you can take in while distracted or in a listen or two - it very much needs your full attention from start to finish to appreciate what's going on as a whole. It just keeps builiding and building throughout the whole cd, all coming together in a dramatic and moving climax. It definitely takes patience, particularly the first non-instrumental track (track 2) as that one without a doubt takes the longest to appreciate. The cd is just oozing with atmosphere and is an amazingly expressive piece of traditionally flavored black metal.

One thing I thought right off the bat though, was that given the non-immediate nature and style of the sound it would be difficult for you get into after a only a few spins. However, if you're able to dedicate some time to it, I think it will pay off for you in the long run.

Further thoughts on it for me begin here, in the thread we had going:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...es-throne-room-two-hunters-3.html#post6497400

As a side note, I'm so glad I decided to continuously play the new Iced Earth as well. I've gone from thinking it's a solid release to absolutely loving it, even the first few tracks that I was lukewarm on previously have really grown on me - the melodic choruses in particular. This is another show I'm willing to travel for if it's not coming to my neck of the woods (or perhaps even if it is).

Jason

One thing I thought right off the bat though, was that given the non-immediate nature and style of the sound it would be difficult for you get into after a only a few spins.
Just a bit of a clarification, so you have a better understanding of where my head is at. My short attention span, is less about being able to absorb something immediately, and more about losing interest, and wanting to hear something different, after about 20 - 25 minutes.

As a side note, I'm so glad I decided to continuously play the new Iced Earth as well. I've gone from thinking it's a solid release to absolutely loving it, even the first few tracks that I was lukewarm on previously have really grown on me - the melodic choruses in particular. This is another show I'm willing to travel for if it's not coming to my neck of the woods (or perhaps even if it is).
Agreed. I'll stick with the Wolves and see if I can't give it the full attention it deserves.

Gracias.

Zod

Just a bit of a clarification, so you have a better understanding of where my head is at. My short attention span, is less about being able to absorb something immediately, and more about losing interest, and wanting to hear something different, after about 20 - 25 minutes.

Cool. I was also responding to your first post about listening and then becoming distracted (rather than disinterested) after a certain period of time. Since you now indicate that it was more disinterest than distraction, I think the advice is even more appro po, but I think you were going to give it more attention anyway unless perhaps I had the same reaction.

And so.... \/

Zod said:
Agreed. I'll stick with the Wolves and see if I can't give it the full attention it deserves.

Gracias.

Cool - it's worth the attention at least, regardless of how you end up feeling about it in the long term. :kickass:

Jason

Neurosis
Katatonia
Acid Bath
Jimi Hendrix
The Pogues
Sleeptime Gorilla Museum
Edge of Sanity
Old Man Gloom
Deathspell Omega
Electric Wizard

Clutch