Who is the 'oddball' band 2015?

Smc316

Resident
Sep 20, 2014
There's no Primordial or Overkill or Soilwork next year.

Is there one to come for Wednesday? Or is next year going to be oddball-less until a band inevitably drops for some reason?

The days of the designated "oddball" have been over for a few years as I have expanded the genres that are included in the roster. One could argue that several on 2015's roster do not fit the exact power or prog category, but have crossover appeal. Anathema & Dynazty are prime examples.

Btw, you may want to consider how you post on this forum going forward. Between the "inevitable" comment and your previous unfounded complaint about Falconer's set, you really are coming across like a dick.

Oh the 'inevitable' thing is definitely not meant to be dickish(although it comes off that way upon reread) - I just mean that there's always some band that drops off festivals for one reason or another, just part of booking fests a year in advance. (The falconer thing is totally just me bickering though, i'm already over it though. :p )

I wasn't aware that the "oddball" wasn't a thing anymore, good to know!

The days of the designated "oddball" have been over for a few years as I have expanded the genres that are included in the roster. One could argue that several on 2015's roster do not fit the exact power or prog category, but have crossover appeal. Anathema & Dynazty are prime examples.

Get Buffett baked by Evergrey and that appears again

I would say that Persefone might be a bit of an oddball (SO STOKED TO SEE THEM!), they have a lot of melodic death metal in their music in my opinion.

I'd say Anathema for one - never have been a high energy/interest group for me, but I'm interested to see them.

Otherwise, I guess maybe Persefone because of the harsh vocal approach (specifically the tendency for some more -core-like screams), but that's a stretch, since they're quite technical and melodic. Dynazty is so grippingly melodic that I think they're right at home.

Maybe not "oddball", but there are some that stretch the variety of the set every year - which only makes sense.

I would be actually surprised to hear anything pre-Natural Disaster, although I would love To hear some Eternity stuff, when they looked in the horizon and saw what it could be their future. Great album and their first I
Bought.

to me it's Persefone, they are similar to like an Ocean of Sadness (who were an oddball in their day)