Who is the "oddball" band this year?

I would think Freak Kitchen would be, since they are pretty muich entirely different from any band that has played Prog Power.

Bear

The more bands mix styles and incorperate different elements the less "odd" those bands will become in the overall lineup. Besides Freak Kitchen (who is definitely the most out of place band) I would say that Mercenary, Epica, and Nevermore (original roster) are not quite prog or power metal yet those were 3 of the 4 headliners (and I've read several Evergrey interviews where they've clearly stated they hate the "progmetal" label...)

Epica would be considered power metal with some "gothic" or whatever elements I think. Evergrey doesn't like the label cause they don't like being compared to Dream Theater, as far as I'm concerned.

Vision Divine for SUUUUUUUURE

No -- it's FK :headbang:

BUT if you don't agree with the masses on who the oddball band is -- does that make YOU the oddball? Hmmmmmmm.

Considering the lineup overall, it's got to be Freak Kitchen. What's interesting to note is that in 2003, Mercenary was undoubtedly the "oddball" band... by 2006, they're considered a normal band in the scene, and are sub-headlining ProgPower. It's cool to see this style of music is still alive, evolving, and developing.

AngraRULES said:
Epica would be considered power metal with some "gothic" or whatever elements I think. Evergrey doesn't like the label cause they don't like being compared to Dream Theater, as far as I'm concerned.

The band blatantly calls themselves gothic metal.

Bad Girl Tess said:
BUT if you don't agree with the masses on who the oddball band is -- does that make YOU the oddball? Hmmmmmmm.

It takes one to know one, girlie... :loco:

Myself, I consider Wastefall to be the oddball this year -- they're the only "prog" band on the roster. (Oops, I'm channeling BenMech now... I better shut up. ;) Actually, I consider this year's lineup in general to be quite "progressive", and possibly the most diverse PPUSA yet.)

booB said:
Myself, I consider Wastefall to be the oddball this year -- they're the only "prog" band on the roster. (Oops, I'm channeling BenMech now... I better shut up. ;) Actually, I consider this year's lineup in general to be quite "progressive", and possibly the most diverse PPUSA yet.)

I think Sumeet hit a certain point that yesterday or today's oddball ain't so odd for tomorrow.

Btw booB - you can have your limbs and mind back now.

My pick for oddball this year is Jorn. And I have a feeling Glenn would concur

BenMech said:
My pick for oddball this year is Jorn. And I have a feeling Glenn would concur

I think the notion of Jorn doing a career-retrospective headline set with various special guests is an unconventional, even "oddball" concept... but in terms of which band's musical style is the most different from the others, I'd say Freak Kitchen takes it.

Since when did oddball's have to be limited to 1? Last year clearly had 2. This year has several standouts: A dumb lyric hair band, a death metal band, a gothic metal band, and a headliner who wouldn't normally headline with any of his projects much less solo.

Yngvai X said:
The band blatantly calls themselves gothic metal.

So what? They dont play gothic metal.

To prove my point, Nevermore NEVER call themselves power metal. And you're always insisting that they're power metal. LOL

This is no debate, it's obviously Freak Kitchen without a doubt lol.

Take the name for instance -freak- -kitchen- that stands alone as odd.

dont get me wrong though, i "freakin" love them!

It's interesting that bands using Death vocals are no longer considered the "odd ball". I wonder how much this has to do with Glenn's acceptance of this vocal style (perhaps he was always into it?) and how much has to do with the crowd growing to accept this style of vocals.

That said, it's interesting that Freak Kitchen, a band that has a great deal of appeal to this crowd, is considered the "odd ball".

Zod

General Zod said:
I wonder how much this has to do with Glenn's acceptance of this vocal style (perhaps he was always into it?) and how much has to do with the crowd growing to accept this style of vocals.

If you keep your forumula the same, then you are going to die a slow death. The audience is eventually going to get bored. Or worse yet, I will.

Glenn H.