X JAPAN

Ok, my review, cross-posted from PM:X^2, and as such cross-posts seem to have a history of getting panties in a bunch here, please apply your de-bunching filter when reading. :D

====================================

2010.10.06: X Japan / Vampires Everywhere! @ Riviera Theatre
This year, I had already seen two crazy-ass Japanese metal bands (Dir en grey and Boris), and was sort of baffled at the size and demographics of the audiences. Given the bizarre experimental music produced by these bands, they drew crowds three or four times larger than I would normally expect, and also more youth- and female-skewed.

Despite hearing all this weird music and singing along with it, it turns out that most of the audience was not even aware that these bands play bizarre experimental metal. In their minds, they simply play "J-Rock", a "genre" that actually has no requirements on musical style. Instead, as long as you are from Japan, have a flamboyant/androgynous stage presence, and have at least one member who takes his shirt off, then you qualify as "J-Rock", and, regardless of the music you play, can tap into a built-in audience of anime fans obsessed with Japanese culture.

Thus we come to X Japan, one of the founding bands of the J-Rock "genre", or more particularly, the aptly-named "visual kei" genre. Their real-world genre is "melodramatic power metal", but you almost never see anyone refer to them that way. They're usually just some sort of rock band. I get the feeling that very few of their fans would also listen to Angra, even though the musical similarity is high.

After disbanding in 1997, X Japan reunited in 2007, and in the last year, have begun a carefully-engineered plan to invade the United States for the first time. I'm sure that they're the only band in the history of rock music to wait until 28 years after their founding (they're in their mid-40s now) to attempt to cross the pond. During the decade they were apart, there was a generation of US kids being raised on Pokemon, and I guess they saw that bands like Dir en grey were having success tapping into that demographic, so why not X Japan too?

They began their assault with a bizarrely out-of-place booking at Chicago's Lollapalooza in the summer, and then boldly booked a bunch of good-sized theaters for a full tour. Curiosity was getting the better of me. I've probably known their name for 15 years (ever since I got into power metal on the Internet), but never actually listened to their music until I considered going to this show. Then when Vampires Everywhere! was booked as the opener, that sealed the deal, and I just had to go.

Vampires Everywhere! is surely the nadir of heavy metal. If not, if someone engineers a way to take metal even lower than this, then I will nominate that person to the Nobel committee. More a carefully-designed amalgamation of money-making trends than an actual band (vampires + auto-tune + Soilwork + girl-hair + exclamation points = $$$!), it's not so much their existence that's depressing, it's the fact that they are signed and promoted by Century Media, a once-proud record label that in the distant past brought us 'Wildhoney', 'Mandylion', and, if vampires are your thing, 'Wolfheart'. I guess when deciding to pay the buy-on, CM thought "well, what better audience to tap into than one for whom the music is already secondary to their fandom?"

Unfortunately traffic prevented me from seeing anything but their last song. Though who knows, maybe it was their only song, since their only release so far is a 2-song sampler (available exclusively at Hot Topic!) They sounded about as I expected, manufactured Soilwork with the auto-tuned vocals layered in somehow. X Japan granted them a surprisingly impressive lighting array. Crowd seemed mostly uninterested, but I didn't see anything thrown at them as might be expected at many other metal shows.

The first thing I noticed about the crowd was that it was nearly half Japanese. This is in stark contrast to the earlier J-rock bands I'd seen, where most of the audience just wished they were Japanese. I spoke with a guy who was seeing them for the second time, the first being in an arena in Japan in the 80s. The look and age of the crowd indicated that he probably wasn't the only one who could claim that. There were girls dressed as only crazy Japanese girls can dress, ranging from cyberpunk prom-queens to bra-and-panties dominatrixes. I talked with two white guys down from Minnesota wearing Symphony X and Iced Earth shirts (and they recognized my Disillusion shirt, whoa!), but they were among the few obviously "metal" people in attendance. The balcony was closed, and the venue was under half-full, but there may have been close to 1000 people there, which is really a pretty amazing number for a band that has yet to release an album in the US.

So, the show was actually pretty good. The two main guys in the band are the singer, Toshi, and the drummer/pianist/songwriter Yoshiki. The other guys were mostly notable for their hair and makeup, and being short, and thus, difficult for even a tall guy like me to see. Despite his multiple flashy coats and sunglasses that never left his face, Toshi pretty much seems like an old Japanese dude somehow roped into singing for a power metal band. Once he got warmed up though, his voice, while thin, did quite a good job of hitting all the notes. At least 'til the end, when I think what was supposed to be an epic closing wail came to an abrupt sputtering end.

Yoshiki, on the other hand, still has a youthful exuberance and drama about him, and his name was by far the one most screamed by the girls around me. In addition to swapping between his clear drumkit and his clear piano, and repeatedly donning and doffing a variety of full-length cloaks over his bare chest, he also made a couple of fairly disastrous stage-dives. Apparently 80 lb. Japanese girls aren't so good at holding up 130 lb. Japanese men!

Despite their penchant for ballads and melodrama, there was actually significantly less bullshit in their performance than I was expecting. Yes, there was a violin solo, a violin/piano duet, and a drum solo, but nothing egregious. And games with the crowd were kept to a minimum. They did a sing-along ballad or two, but for the most part they must figure that the American audience is more hardcore than the Japanese audience, for they mostly blazed through double-bass metal songs. The light show wasn't at the arena level they'd been used to, but it was more impressive than most shows at a venue that size, and they even had cryo-jets blasting jets of white fog at the end of the set.

The audience was certainly into it, but maybe a little less insane than I was expecting. Sure, plenty of people were jumping in the air with their arms making an "X" above their heads, and it was pretty impressive when the crowd did several rounds of a ballad's chorus on their own. But while I may have seen a girl near me with tears in her eyes, and saw security helping to prop up a woman as they walked her to some air, it wasn't quite Beatles-on-Ed Sullivan weeping-in-ecstasy.

So all in all, it was definitely interesting as a cultural experience, and as a bonus, the musical experience wasn't that bad either!

Neil

I'm going to see them on Sunday!! I have been an X Japan fan since high school. I know it's weird, but, they were actually the first band I ever "fangirl"-ed over. I know every lyric to every song.. when I discovered that they reconnected, I went INSANE. I'm so excited for Sunday!! If anyone else is gonna be in NY for the Sunday show, holla!

Thanks for the review, Neil! I made every effort to go to the Lollapalooza show so that I wouldn't have to hear about missing it for the rest of my life, but that (plus ProgPower) tapped out the budget for catching one of the tour dates. I'd been curious what their show was like on their own terms and would have loved to see them play longer than they did at Lolla (and not while under the scorching hot sun in the middle of the day). I'm glad you went and found a few positive things to say.

Despite "jrock" gaining some awareness in the U.S. and even some new fans, I'm not sure we're going to see many more nationwide tours. Dir en grey got lucky when they were added to the Family Values tour that launched them into the U.S. touring circuit. D'espairsRay, The Underneath, and MUCC caught a bit of that when they were on the Taste of Chaos Tour a few years back. Versailles came, had their fun, and have sunken back into the shadows. Dir en grey capitalized on their exposure, D'espa tried but are now going on hiatus after this current U.S. tour, MUCC never bothered to come back, and The Underneath broke up. VAMPS are touring right now for the second time around and are doing fairly well. So aside from Dir en grey & VAMPS, X JAPAN are probably the only Japanese band that can mount a tour of this size across the U.S. and have the fanbase + money to burn if it went south. Did that make sense? VAMPS, who are also loaded with $$$ and a devoted crowd, tapping into the L'arc~en~ciel/Hyde fanbase, have wiggle room if it didn't work out. Unless Yoshiki gets the out-of-this-world super-group project S.K.I.N. up and running again and brings it here, who is going to have the $$ and the draw to afford the risk? Even Luna Sea isn't doing more than a coastal reunion show :-\
[/train of thought]

I remember being weirded out when "normal people" started listening to Dir en Grey. I tried liking them in high school, but they never really grabbed me. Malice Mizer had like... 5 good songs, which I loved very much, but I loved just about everything X Japan did, even their ridiculous 80's hair songs.

Here's hoping they play beauties like "I'll Kill You" and "Orgasm" at the show on Sunday.

Hi Neil and everyone.

After noticing a fantastic report of X-Japan by Neil on another metal discussion board, he suggested me to take a look at the thread regarding X-Japan and some J-Rock with visual kei talkings. Indeed, there are interesting discussions going on. Some posters are really knowledgeable about my country's music scene in general. :headbang: I usually listen to domestic metal bands like Vigilante, Earthshaker, Anthem, Loudness, etc. Actually I listen to American and European metal bands a lot as well; Esp., Dream Theater and Fates Warning. I'm not always paying attention to what X-Japan has been lately doing, but the songs like "Dahria", "Rusty Nail", and "Kurenai" blow me away anytime :D. I can't say that I'm into visual-kei and J-rock style groups, but some of them make unique music with strange twists and theatrical touch.

Until finding out Neil's posting, I never knew X-Japan kicked off their first U.S. tour. If my memory severs correctly, Yoshiki had mentioned on the media of my country that he wanted to do tour in U.S. and live concerts in Europe. I thought that announcement was totally overdue and it seemed impossible to do that outside of Japan, because X-Japan never released an official album in the U.S. and relatively been unknown to the majority on the other side of Pacific Ocean. As I read some posts on this thread, I realize that there are some followers in U.S. who appreciate the music of X-Japan deeply. I wonder how they promote themselves and its music is such a mystery. However, it works well so far. :) Oh, I remember some of my Japanese American friends are into X-Japan. I've thought the fan base of X-Japan is limited in Japanese-American's community. Probably, I'm totally wrong for this; their fan base over there is quite varied. I guess some anime fans and J-rock enthusiasts abroad are totally into their music style, too.

It's really cool for my side to find out some familiar names like T.M. Revolution have been already discuessed on this thread. I remember T.M. Revolution's vocalist Takanori Nishikawa still enjoy 80's bands including Whitesnake and Ratt as his important hard rock and metal groups. I think some posters who get into X-Japan and Dir en Grey also attend ProgPower festival as well.

I've never been to ProgPower USA before, but I enjoyed seeing some of prog metal related bands like Fates Warning and Seventh Wonder that have performed at both ProgPower USA and Europe. Anyway, I am glad that some posters are enthusiastic about Japanese music and sub-culture in general (including anime and manga, maybe). I do not get into anime and manga anymore, but occasionally I revisit to read some of my old favorite comics like Dragon Ball for instance. Yeah, thanks for raving and having comments about the bands from Japan overall. Oh, btw please do not get confused with my name. I have nothing to do with the bass player of L'Arc-en-Ciel :D It's actually very common name in my country.

Tetsu (Web administrator of Pilgrim World)
n.p. Jupiter Society - "Bismarck Explorer"

Hi Neil and everyone.....

Hi Tetsu! Nice to have you here! Great post, it's cool to hear from someone in your position regarding the growing interest in non-Western rock and pop in the U.S..

X JAPAN just finished their tour last night in New York City. It was a huge success with about 2,800 people there, which is almost capacity! NYAF (New York Anime Fest) was going on at the same time with PuffyAmiYumi, echostream, and Boom Boom Satellites also playing that night in NYC. Not quite the same crowd, but I know a lot of people who would go to both if they could, myself included. I'm glad so many chose to see X!

I'm so happy that you know T.M.R.'s influences. He is my favorite musician and sometimes I feel out of place in metal communities because of it, but I see so much rock and metal influence in his music that it just seems natural to me that I'd like it. :lol: His love of rock music is evident in his other band abingdon boys school and especially obvious in his more recent T.M.Revolution releases like "Naked Arms" and even "resonance."

Anyway, good to hear from you Tetsu! I hope you stay in our little community here on the ProgPower forum. And maybe one day you can come to the festival too!

-Tammy
p.s. I know Tetsu is a common name in Japan but I still thought of L'arc's bassist immediately. I can't help it. Maybe I'll ask for your autograph :lol:

Hey, another Hiroshima representative! Cool :D

I wish X would play here someday...I'd love to see them, but going to Osaka or Tokyo for a show is such a hassle!

Got back from New York, last night! Man, what a show!! As usual, Yoshiki hammed it up for the crowd by screaming "We are..!!" like.. a thousand times. XD I can't complain, though! The rush for the stage was absolutely crazy! I'm only 5' tall, so a lot of nice folks uhm.. pushed me to the front. Then after the innitial niceness wore off, there was a STAMPEDE. People were piled on top of one another, it was shoulder-to-shoulder crowding, people squeezing themselves in between eachother to get closer. I was not just pushed, I was shoved.. kicked.. hair pulled.. everything imaginable. Once the show started, it was great, but toward the end I was covered in sweat.. mine and everyone around me's. Then Heath spit water directly IN MY EYES. (WOO, HEATH RULES!!)

He threw out a shirt or scarf or something, and people dove.. boy did they dive.. I dove! I went down in a sea of bodies. I fell on the floor, and someone stood ON MY LEG. So while one dude is trying to help me up, one dude is pinning me down! During Forever Love, of all songs!! I was nearly trampled! It was great! XD

Well, now I can say I've seen my favorite band of all time live. It was the best/most frightening/most disgusting experience of my life!

A friend of mine was at the NY show. To quote him, "It was the first concert I've ever been to that I can say was a spectacle."

That's our buddy from Florida who we roomed with at PP X, right? I saw him in the crowd but couldn't get to him to say hi and then couldn't find him.

That's our buddy from Florida who we roomed with at PP X, right? I saw him in the crowd but couldn't get to him to say hi and then couldn't find him.

Actually no, it was another friend who went to the show from CT. I think you met him at Ipanema before the Blind Guardian show a few years back in NYC. Our bud from Florida who we roomed with at PPX is Dave. I wasn't aware that he was at the X Japan show this past weekend, but it's actually becoming common to see him around here. :lol: I gotta call him one of these days.

I'm dead certain I saw Dave there at this show.

Anyhoo, show was FANTASTIC. Blew my mind, honestly.
Now if only I could afford to go to the Luna Sea show in LA. I'm really tempted to do it. They were my favorite, afterall.

Duchess: Lol nice. Glad you got to see them live:) You must had been on the left side in front to have gotten his water spit in your face. I was trying to make my way to the front but it seemed like the further I went the more cramped and hot it got, people got more rude, so I stayed in the middle.

AngraRules: In what sense would he say it was a spectacle? The laser show, people's crazy almost Comic Con costumes ala X-Japan, the whole show presence..? It was fantastic as it seemed like they squished the type of experience you could have at their 55,000 seat Tokyo Dome into a little intimate space.

I would have liked to have met some of you guys at the show, but I had gotten like no sleep for all the 3-4 days prior to the show, had like everything working against me going there last minute, and didn't think I was even going to survive the show, so I was in no way up to it. Thank God I survived and had such a great time there. Even got an X-Japan US tour T-Shirt which I just love:) Did anyone notice they had cameras and were recording? I wonder if they will end up releasing any of the video officially..?

Speaking of Tetsu, I loved Yoshiki's collaboration with Tetsu like in Eyes of Venus, even though saying so may likely get someone to spit some water in my face:)