X JAPAN

LOL!! That slightly off-colored hand with the horns and the orange wristband is mine!!

x-japan-cos-07.jpg

Yes, I came in from the left! Lets hope I don't get some kind of magical Japanese rock star herpes, now..

Yea that would not be good:/ I was thinking what's wrong with him/them? Musicians/rock stars I think usually spit it up in the air away from fans. Am I wrong or were they spraying soda on people too? If so I guess the front crowd got to not only be sweaty, hot, squished, but also be exposed to some X-Japan cooties and also be sticky from a portion of the night.

Thanks for the links. Hope you're right that they will be back! Luna Sea would be great to see as well, I hope the turn out is good too.

Am I wrong or were they spraying soda on people too? If so I guess the front crowd got to not only be sweaty, hot, squished, but also be exposed to some X-Japan cooties and also be sticky from a portion of the night.

Aside from the X-Japan cooties, this wouldn't be too different from either a GWAR or Insane Clown Posse show...especially the sticky-liquids part. :heh:

So glad you guys all had a great time there! The NYC show in particular is making a lot of headlines (probably because it's NYC) and people are still talking about it in numerous places around the net. I hope they come back and capitalize on this, and maybe bring someone along with them too.

Luna Sea... oh how I wish they were coming anywhere near me at all. I am almost ready to play my "I'm going to this no matter what" card on it, but as soon as I do that's when T.M.Revolution or abingdon boys school will come to Chicago or BUCK-TICK will announce some majestic one-time-only appearance *headdesk*

Did anyone catch the discussion on Tainted Reality Radio last night? It was about the lasting effects and impact of X JAPAN's tour on the U.S. J-rock scene. I wasn't able to listen but the topic is something I could have talked about for days.

J Rock was getting big a while ago, when Dir en Gray was huge. I swear, it feels like X Japan is like the Japanese Aerosmith. They're getting to be very mainstream, but personally, I wish they would do more songs in their old 80's style.

I'll Kill You, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
J Rock was getting big a while ago, when Dir en Gray was huge.

Two things in this confuse me. Jrock has never been huge in the U.S., and only very recently is it being talked about by people who haven't been following the bands for years already. Just like this forum is not the last word in what the progressive and power metal communities are listening to, it's easy to think something is super popular when you surround yourself with people who love it.

Also, I've seen Dir en grey barely fill half of a 700 capacity venue, that's not really huge. They're probably the one band that some "alternative" American kids could say is from Japan, but I don't think they made it that "big" in the U.S., even having played on the Family Values Tour. Scores of bands have played that fest and dwindled into obscurity. I'm truly happy that Dir en grey capitalized on that exposure to the point where they could do their own headline tours in the States, but they're still far from huge.

As for X JAPAN's older stuff, yes please! Whatever they do, I hope they can hold onto all this new attention they're getting. They're doing a pretty good job of drawing attention to Japanese rock and metal bands.
Now if only Yoshiki would do a J-Rock Revolution 2.... :devil:

No, I didn't see any soda, just water.

WOOOOO!!

Ok, we'll there's at least that. If so I'd wonder if they would have ticked off fans, after already spitting on them.

I like the old stuff too but doubt they'd do any of it since Toshi said he wanted to stay away from the crude or violent sounding stuff. Then again, he also said he didn't want to dress immodestly or like a rock star (as one can see in the I.V. official video), but I think from even just the US tour starting with Lolla, we can see where that one went...:0

Two things in this confuse me. Jrock has never been huge in the U.S., and only very recently is it being talked about by people who haven't been following the bands for years already. Just like this forum is not the last word in what the progressive and power metal communities are listening to, it's easy to think something is super popular when you surround yourself with people who love it.

Also, I've seen Dir en grey barely fill half of a 700 capacity venue, that's not really huge. They're probably the one band that some "alternative" American kids could say is from Japan, but I don't think they made it that "big" in the U.S., even having played on the Family Values Tour. Scores of bands have played that fest and dwindled into obscurity. I'm truly happy that Dir en grey capitalized on that exposure to the point where they could do their own headline tours in the States, but they're still far from huge.

As for X JAPAN's older stuff, yes please! Whatever they do, I hope they can hold onto all this new attention they're getting. They're doing a pretty good job of drawing attention to Japanese rock and metal bands.
Now if only Yoshiki would do a J-Rock Revolution 2.... :devil:

Uh, when DEG was on Family Values tour they were doing most of the work to fill the amphitheaters and lawn seats before Deftones' fans bothered to show up. Every venue I saw them play at since had been 1400+. It's about on par with most touring metal acts these days, tbh...except old 80s acts.

I was at their first shows in the States and people were camping out literally overnight lining up and they stuffed every venue they played those first couple of tours (difference is in scale). J Rock is about as big in the US as Anime is, overall. It's just not in your face all the time because it's subculture.

Actually now that I think about it, they (jrock and metal) aren't that different than each other. It's harder to break new acts and only the older established bands are ever going to get big tours. All of the fans are stuck in the past...glory days and all that. I know I've already discussed this with you at length, Tammy, but IMO most of the bands post-DEG's rise to popularity are crap anyway.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens if Kuroyume decides to come over here. I think that actually has a lot to do with the reformation announcement (the potential US market...).

Edit: One last aside, is it just me or is Toshi starting to cultivate a strong "Elvis impersonator" vibe about him? ...Those jackets...

Edit 2: I'm posting hungover so it wasn't exactly clear but I think the point I'm trying to make is that these days, there's no such thing as being "big" as a music act anymore because of the way availability and portability (tl;dr, iPods) have changed peoples relationship with music. Everyone draws about the same.

Edit: One last aside, is it just me or is Toshi starting to cultivate a strong "Elvis impersonator" vibe about him? ...Those jackets....

Lol yea that actually is an interesting point. I didn't know if it was that or trying to be more bombastic, giving some kind of theatrical costume effects ala Kiss or something. I thought it was funny though how flamboyant, almost Liberache he's been dressing. He seems to be growing his hair out again, unless they're extensions, if so, I wonder if they'll ever go back to the visual kei look:0 My favorite look of theirs I think is from the Art of Life period, then Last Live, but Visual Kei was pretty cool as well.