Y&T on tour - I highly recommend

Feb 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
These guys are touring again and on broad nationwide tour with the release of their first new album in thirteen years, Facemelter. One of their best albums since In Rock We Trust.

After all these years, they still sound damn good. Dave's voice remains as strong today as it was in the eighties. He hasn't lost any of the edge or strength. And his guitar playing is still one of the most under-rated in the business. He can rock with the best of them one minute and then have you in tears over his beautiful blues drenched rock solos.

Phil Kennimore had to drop out of the tour due to health reasons. But the temporarily bassist is pretty damn good. In Houston, the band was incredible tight and put on a two hour show of their best songs. The song selection included every album from Earthshaker to Facemelter. I would have preferred Midnight In Tokyo rather than the radio-friendly Summertime Girls. But otherwise they played the best of the catalog.

So if they come to your city, check 'em out. You won't be disappointed. Unlike many of the bands from the eighties, Y&T has kept the fire and energy. They sound as good today as they did back in their heyday. Time may have aged their features but not their performance.

One of my favorites. Meniketti can still bring it....what a tasty player. Definitely still worth it...!

From the Y&T newsletter:

"As fans in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado witnessed at the recent Y&T shows, the band has been kicking serious butt on this summer's Facemelter tour. Even though Phil was experiencing severe back pain ever since the June European tour, he soldiered on and played the shows anyway. Now, with much regret, Phil's doctors have ordered him off the tour to get the treatment he needs to move forward.

Extremely proud of the new Facemelter album, and the work that he, Dave, John, and Mike have done, Phil insisted the tour continue. So to honor his wish, we flew in a bass player to sub for Phil until he is able to return. As the band's manager, Jill Meniketti, posted on the web site discussion forum about these recent events, Phil says: "On with the show."

The guys are so sorry that they had to cancel the show in Springfield, IL, but Phil was receiving local treatment and tests in St. Louis and the band was unable to continue until that important business was finished. With less than 24-hour's notice, Brad Lang (of Jet Red fame, War & Peace, and Foreigner) was gracious enough to step up to fill in on bass for the time being to help out the band and keep the tour continuing. He's extremely proud and excited to be playing with Y&T and helping out for Phil. Brad's doing a great job of representing the Y&T live experience. We want to thank you all for giving him the warm welcome he's received on the shows he's played so far."

A Message From Phil Kennemore:

"To all of my dear friends and fans around the world and on the forum, Up to now you haven't heard much information (other than about my extreme back pain) because there really hasn't been much until now. I hated leaving you all in the dark but I didn't want to say anything until there was something conclusive to say. We do have a lot more information now. The number one thing you need to know is that I have cancer. It wasn't absolutely formally diagnosed until yesterday.
With the bad news I also got the good news that along with surgery and treatments, I will be back rockin' and rollin'. I'll be getting a hip replacement as well as back surgery, which means I'll also be more agile. The doctor said that this is treatable and I'll be walking out of this place and I'll be able to go on the road and do everything I need to do to continue my rock 'n' roll life, in due time.
I wanted to thank everyone for your well wishes. I've been sitting here in the hospital reading all of the things that you've all posted online, and I want you to know it means so very much to me to see how much I am loved, supported, and missed. I can really feel the love as I'm reading. I love reading your posts on the web site forum, and, in fact, I need to hear it. From here on out, whatever thoughts and feelings you have, please know that I wish that I could personally respond to each and every one of you, but I'm not able to right now.
Brad--thank God for Brad! I'm so grateful that he stepped in to help keep Y&T on tour, bringing Facemelter to the people while I was ordered to the hospital. Right now I think he's the best guy on earth! I'll be released from the hospital within three-to-four weeks, continuing treatment, and at some point, I'll be returning to the road. Keep the love and good vibes flowing. Do me a favor and go out and see the band now--Y&T is kicking serious ass--and I'll be back rocking with you all soon." - Phil.

Post a message to Phil here: www.meniketti.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=31772.

These guys are touring again and on broad nationwide tour with the release of their first new album in thirteen years, Facemelter. One of their best albums since In Rock We Trust.

After all these years, they still sound damn good. Dave's voice remains as strong today as it was in the eighties. He hasn't lost any of the edge or strength. And his guitar playing is still one of the most under-rated in the business. He can rock with the best of them one minute and then have you in tears over his beautiful blues drenched rock solos.

Phil Kennimore had to drop out of the tour due to health reasons. But the temporarily bassist is pretty damn good. In Houston, the band was incredible tight and put on a two hour show of their best songs. The song selection included every album from Earthshaker to Facemelter. I would have preferred Midnight In Tokyo rather than the radio-friendly Summertime Girls. But otherwise they played the best of the catalog.

So if they come to your city, check 'em out. You won't be disappointed. Unlike many of the bands from the eighties, Y&T has kept the fire and energy. They sound as good today as they did back in their heyday. Time may have aged their features but not their performance.

I saw them last Sunday and they were excellent. We got Midnight in Tokyo as an encore, which totally made my day.

I missed Y&T's swing through the northeast, but in looking up their tourdates I did find out that GWAR is playing right here in Rochester in October. :yuk: "Sorry, fresh out of apple pie, but here's some raw squid you might like!"

I assume you mean Y&T. :lol:

From http://www.meniketti.com/tourdates.html

July 16 Portland, OR US Peter’s Room @ Roseland Theater
July 17 Seattle, WA US Studio Seven
July 18 Spokane, WA US Knitting Factory Concert House
July 21 Dacono, CO US The Roadhouse
July 22 Colorado Springs, CO US SODO
July 24 Wichita, KS US Midwest Rock Fest
July 29 Middleton, WI US Scatz Nightclub
July 30 S. Barrington, IL US Penny Road Pub
July 31 Midlothian, IL US Papa T's
August 1 Cleveland, OH US Agora Ballroom
August 4 Pittsburgh, PA US Hard Rock Café
August 5 Allentown, PA US Sterling Rock Room
August 6 Poughkeepsie, NY US The Chance Theater
August 7 New York, NY US BB Kings Blues Club
August 8 Springfield, VA US Jaxx
August 11 Dallas, TX US Trees - NOTE: Venue Change
August 13 Houston, TX US Warehouse Live
August 14 San Antonio, TX US Backstage Live
August 15 El Paso, TX US Rayn Theatre (Formally The Vault)
August 19 San Jose, CA US Music in the Park
August 20 Reno (Sparks), NV US The New Oasis
August 21 Sacramento, CA US Crest Theatre
August 26 Hollywood, CA US Key Club
August 27 Tempe, AZ US Club Red
August 28 Las Vegas, NV US Feelgoods
September 27 Belfast N. Ireland Spring & Airbrake
September 28 Dublin Ireland The Village
September 30 Cardiff Wales Millennium Music Hall
October 2 Manchester UK Manchester Academy 3
October 3 Bradford UK Bradford Rio's
October 7 Glasgow Scotland 02 ABC Glasgow
October 8 Newcastle UK 02 Academy Newcastle
October 9 Nottingham UK Rock City
October 12 Ipswich UK Ipswich Corn Exchange
October 14 Southampton UK The Brook
October 15 Birmingham UK 02 Academy 2 Birmingham
October 16 London UK 02 Academy Islington
October 20 Paris France Le Trabendo
October 22 Haarlem Netherlands Patronaat
October 23 Uden Netherlands De Pul
October 25 Verviers Belgium Spirit of 66
October 26 Bruchsal Germany Fabrik
October 28 Prague Czech Rep. Exit Chmelnice Music Hall
October 29 Ashaffenburg Germany Colos-Saal
October 30 Isernhagen Germany Blues Garage
October 31 Berlin Germany Magnet Club
November 2 Hamburg Germany Ballroom Hamburg
November 3 Köln Germany Cologne Underground
November 5 Zaragoza Spain Sala Devizio
November 6 Valencia Spain Durango Club
November 7 Madrid Spain Sala Heineken
November 19 Petaluma, CA US Mystic Theatre
November 20 Petaluma, CA US Mystic Theatre

2011:
January 14 Osaka Japan Shangri-La
January 15 Kawasaki Japan Club Citta'
January 16 Kawasaki Japan Club Citta'

Caught the boys 4 out of 5 nights recently, they slayed every night. Great band & they always give it their all, no matter what size the audience is. Get well soon Phil!

Damn! I completely forgot about them last weekend! I was actually considering going up there to Jaxx to see them along with Icarus Witch. Oh well! At least Styx kicked-ass last night, though!

Saw them in SA last night, and it was a killer show. I drove from Corpus and picked up a buddy flying in from Dallas, so it made for a fun weekend in general.

Show was interesting...one of the opening acts looked to be all around 14 years old, but they ripped through material like Hallowed Be Thy Name, Four Horsemen, Breaking The Chains, and Wasted Years like seasoned pros...definitely better than most. Icarus Witch was great, but I wasn't really getting into it...not exactly a compatible opener material-wise when I'm anticipating a night with Y&T, but they are awesome at what they do.

Y&T hits the stage for what will turn into a 2+ hour set. They came out-of-the-gate so viciously they blew the power twice while trying to bludgeon us with Open Fire. After that, it was a smooth set. Excellent mix of new stuff, old stuff, a very well-rounded setlist with a few surprises (at least for me). It's nice to see them mix up their setlist a bit. Plus, they just sounded inspired and feisty...having heard countless versions of Open Fire, Mean Streak, and Forever over the years, it's always nice to hear a version just as punchy and aggressive as ever...they are definitely at their best right now.

Getting to visit with Dave and the boys for a bit both before and after the show made the cost of the VIP ticket totally worth it. Those guys are just genuinely nice guys, and it's always a pleasure to shake Dave's hand and shoot the shit...kinda like meeting with the Mountain King. Had my Freak Kitchen shirt on and that drew a funny comment from each band member. I could go on and on with my Meniketti fan-boyisms...I just don't have enough positive things to say about Dave and the boys...great show...always brings back memories, but created a new one for me and my friend to consider...sigh...back to work tomorrow...shit...

Bruce...was that you at the front in the Lizzy Borden shirt? Wasn't sure, but I should have said hello.....

Doc

Frank from NM clued me in to the fact they were playing in Colorado Springs, and he was coming up to see them. Two miles from my house and I didn't even know about it. We went and they put on a HELLUVA show. Now I hadn't thought too much about Y&T since the last time I saw them in the mid 80's but they were as good as ever. Phil was in obvious pain but soldiered through the set.

What can you say about Dave - he's getting even better. Of course playing in a small place that doesn't usually have live music, and a crowd of maybe 250 made it easy to get right up in front of the stage.

All in all - if you have the chance this is a must see.

I've seen them twice this year, in Chicago (Melodic Rock Fest 2) and in Spokane, WA. They were incredible both times and, as has been mentioned, they were all very down to earth nice guys who would hang out and BS until all the fans were gone. I never knew Dave was such a monster on guitar!

Damn it; they're playing here in Phoenix the same night as the Slayer/Megadeth show. I'm seriously thinking of blowing off that show to see Y&T, but I've had tix for the Slayer/'deth show for months (this show was rescheduled from January due to Araya's back problems) and am going with a friend who's a huge Slayer fan.

The last (and only) time I saw Y&T was back in 1984 with Lita Ford and Twisted Sister!

Bruce...was that you at the front in the Lizzy Borden shirt? Wasn't sure, but I should have said hello.....
Nope that wasn't me. I only went to the Houston show. And I was wearing a Facemelter T-shirt.
But I did see the regulars, Bobby Williamson of Eumeria and Eric Halpern of Mindcrime. Shane was absent this time. But maybe he is not a Y&T fan

Saw them in Dallas a few days ago and and they were fantastic! We were also lucky enough to get "Midnight in Tokyo." Only favorite I can think of that they didn't do was "Don't Be Affraid of the Dark." As everyone else has mentioned Dave & co. were really cool about hanging out and signing autographs, taking pictures. Really nice guys. I had such a great time and enjoyed the new songs they played so much I even picked up a copy of Facemelter. Damn good album. If they come to your town, definitely go see them.

A message from Dave Meniketti:

"As many of you know already, Phil Kennemore was recently diagnosed with metastatic cancer. Phil has undergone a barrage of tests, a long hospital stay at Stanford, an operation, and will soon start aggressive chemotherapy to regain his health and get him back with the band on stage again. Because of this and potentially more treatments to come, I have put together a fund for Phil so that people from around the world can make donations to help him with his enormous medical bills. I have set up a page for this Fund and you can visit it at the link below, for more information on how you can contribute: www.meniketti.com/philfund.html.

Feel free to spread the word and share this link with your friends. Any donation, no matter what the size, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave."