You all know I cannot stand Prog....

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
But oh my god, DGM's Frame.. Oh my god. Excuse me, new underwear is needed.

I mean, really, is there anything Italian Metal is BAD at? Elvenking is just Eargasmic, Pathosray was amazing, and now these guys. Fuck. Yes.

Lots of sucky Italian metal bands.

And DMG's Frame is allegedly their least proggy album. I also think it is incredibly generic.

Ditto. If you cannot stand prog, I can get it. Unlike most prog bans, they play very confined and short songs but sound like prog. Very good indeed. I'm surprised though if you can't stand most prog, how you enjoy Pathosray. I love prog and love Pathosray, but they're in the same distinction as a lot of wannabe Dream Theater bands in my opinion, but they do it very, VERY well.

Don't forget about Raintime :headbang:

Although i have to disagree about elvenking....Italian metal is awesome, but there's always gonna be one mistake. But everyone has their own tastes, so nothing personal about that statement.

My first experience with Pathosray was when they played Live at PP, and I loved their set, and I communicated with them after the show. That can make a big difference for me. I didn't bother checking them out before the fest.

I wouldn't call this Generic for me, I've never heard anything quite like it myself, so it's fresh. I'll check out some past albums too, but right now, this fusion of music is working for me.

Don't forget about Raintime :headbang:

Although i have to disagree about elvenking....Italian metal is awesome, but there's always gonna be one mistake.

Ahh yes, Raintime too. <3 them.

And no worries about Elvenking. After all, in a forum this open, there's always going to be one mistake. :lol:

But oh my god, DGM's Frame.. Oh my god. Excuse me, new underwear is needed.

I mean, really, is there anything Italian Metal is BAD at? Elvenking is just Eargasmic, Pathosray was amazing, and now these guys. Fuck. Yes.

Like already mentioned, Pathosray is Prog dude. :Smug:

*points* Hypocrite. :lol:

*runs around* Nailz likes prog! Nailz likes prog! no wait...HE LOVES Prog!

My first experience with Pathosray was when they played Live at PP, and I loved their set, and I communicated with them after the show. That can make a big difference for me. I didn't bother checking them out before the fest.

Figured as much. They were a mind blowing opener for sure. Try to avoid that second album though. Very disappointing and sort of sold out in my opinion with it.

Elvenking - awesome.
DGM - awesome. This is how good 'generic' prog ought to be. I have one of their older albums, Wings of Time, from back when they were more Malmsteenish, and it's listenable but nothing stellar. They've made great strides especially 2004-present.

This album caught me off guard a bit. I had written them off after Different Shapes as just another bland prog metal band, but there's definitely some stand out tracks on FrAme! :kickass:

Lots of sucky Italian metal bands.

yeah starting with Rhapsody Of Fire, sorry and my apologies to those here who love them but for me they are all that's bad in power metal.

Now as for progressive rock Italy has vast amount of known and less known/unknown-cult bands starting with PFM and (the almighty :worship:) Goblin. Laser's Edge carries a lot of Italian prog by the way.

For all those oozing over "Frame", make sure to check out the back catalogue a bit too. "Hidden Place" is my favorite, combining a bit more aggressive power metal into the mix. The first two albums are definitely more in the neo-classical genre, but after that they continuously evolve for the better.

I haven't had time to go back and look at DGM's back catalog, but what I hear on FrAme is amazing!

For those who mentioned Pathosray, they are one of the few prog bands that I like. The latest album is very good.

Figured as much. They were a mind blowing opener for sure. Try to avoid that second album though. Very disappointing and sort of sold out in my opinion with it.
Like it or not, I'm confused how one could view it as a sell out...can you elaborate?