You all know I cannot stand Prog....

Can someone explain to me how the Italian DGM is considered Progressive Metal? I think it's just straightforward cheesy power metal.

They're somewhere in that charcoal grey nether region between prog and power that is so popular in these parts. As for the cheesy..... To each their own, I guess. But they certainly don't fall into the "cheese metal" category ala Manowar and Rhapsody, not by a LONG shot.

And if you want to argue the definition of progressive metal, there is another thread going you should pour your energies into, and leave this one to DGM.

I got this from the band's facebook page, after proclaiming my endless love like a school girl's crush on her teacher:

DGMThx Patrick...it's a great pleasure for us to be appreciated by a non progressive fan :)
anyway FRAME it's first of all a Metal-Rock album...
for sure there's a progressive elements in it ...but in a more musical and immediate way :)
Prog 'n' Roll :)

Like it or not, I'm confused how one could view it as a sell out...can you elaborate?

Well, the first album was pretty damn epic and there were a lot of very interesting stuff going on. The latest album with the exception of one track I believe just seems to be a carbon copy of every other prog metal band with nothing particularly interesting or memorable about it. It seemed like they were just trying to go for the broad melodic metal crowd instead of the prog niche.

I've always been very please with some of the older albums like Dreamland and Misplaced. It has been really noticeable through the albums though when the band members have changed - different people working means the music will sound different after all - I just hope they play some of the older material when they come to ATL next year

Different Shapes is my favorite from DGM, I like all there older stuff but Simone is just a badass!!!Titta Tani is to me a better singer for the band but I am trying to embrace Mark Basile as he was good in Mind Key as well. Just that I got used to Different Shapes, Misplaced and Hidden Places....

Bear

Well, the first album was pretty damn epic and there were a lot of very interesting stuff going on. The latest album with the exception of one track I believe just seems to be a carbon copy of every other prog metal band with nothing particularly interesting or memorable about it. It seemed like they were just trying to go for the broad melodic metal crowd instead of the prog niche.
Well, yes it is different from the first album, but I'm sure they wanted that. I noticed that they took a more melodic path in some songs, but in other songs (like the first track) they took the heavy route! I just listened to the first one again today and being melodic is nothing new for this band. I think they got better with creating hooky choruses on the latest, but that is just song writing. Personally, while I'm a HUGE fan of Dream Theater and have been for years and while I'm generally somewhat of a prog snob (at least used to be), I've grown tired of formulaic prog bands that sound the same. I'm glad that they took a slightly more melodic direction while retaining some of the proggy characteristics that keep things interesting for me.