You don't have to know the songs to enjoy them

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Some concerns I've heard about bands like Virgin Steele is "I don't know their songs, and its too late to get started." Also heard this about various other bands. First, its never too late. Second, its a false assumption that you need to be extremely familiar with a band in order to enjoy a show.

Last year we ended up having 2 people quit on us who couldn't go to the show. One of the persons sent the ticket to me first class, so that we could find somebody who might use it. We contacted all our metal friends, and none could go. But then Saturday morning we found out an old friend of the other person I was going with could go. She didn't know a single band on the roster. So she joined us on Saturday and we got there just after Zero Hour played.

She had as good of a time watching/listening to the bands as anybody. She didn't know a single damn song, but she was blown away by basically ever band there. It was really cool to see somebody who had no clue what to expect, who got a free ticket, enjoy something like this that much. Hell she had to bum a dollar or two off some people standing outside the venue just so she could afford parking. (Thank you to whoever that was that did that).

Anyhow, its just an example of how you don't have to know the songs inside and out, you don't have to participate in the sing alongs to enjoy whats up there. You just have to sit back, or stand up and enjoy it.

I saw Nightwish live before ever listening to any of their songs aside for the tiniest bit of Century Child (and mostly Phantom of the Opera because I like that musical). I wasn't listening to a whole lot of metal back then. I was really big into industrial/ebm at the time. I had started getting into Lacuna Coil and a little bit of Rhapsody/Luca Turrila. My friend (who was getting me into this music) was going to the Brooklyn show after PP. The weekend before that I was at his place on LI before we went to Philly for Dracula's Ball. We stopped by one of the local stores selling tickets and picked up a ticket for myself. I had a front row spot right where Tarja was. They became my favourite band that night. Sadly, no show has quite lived up to that initial one. The entire crowd was totally into the show but not in the mosh/crowd surf/pushing way that all the other shows have been. Just totally respectful chanting, headbanging, & singing along the entire set. It's just a lot nicer when you're front row and not getting crushed into the stage.
I've seen a number of other shows where I only know so much about the band before seeing them and I usually leave wanting to get the rest of their albums.

This happend to me with Threshold at PPIII. I had no idea of who they were but I really enjoyed their set. I wound up buying a few albums and now I am a true diehard Threshold fan...

Sure hope they are one of the 4 remaining unannounced bands...

Four bands come to mind:

Brainstorm
Symphorce
Freak Kitchen
Epica

I knew one, maybe two demo songs from each of these bands, which is equal to saying I knew nothing of them, before I saw them live.

I thoroughly enjoyed each band as a shocking, satisfying suprise. I didn't need to know the songs, cuz they were that damned good! I kinda feel proud that I didn't let their albums taint my opinion of these bands, cuz there was such a satisfaction in being so awestruck by them. Being unprepared for their performances is what sold me on each of these bands.

II agree that you don't HAVE to know the songs to enjoy yourself, I never heard the DTB before I saw them and they rocked my socks off. It depends on the type of band they are, I think.

At PP5, I was familiar with 5 of the bands, and a fan of 4, going into the show. Coming out, I was a fan of 9. IMO getting into a band through their live show is the best way to do it.

It's funny if I had seen this five to ten years ago I would have disagreed. However these days I find I can enjoy bands with out ever hearing a song before. If I get to attend PP I most don't currently know any songs by the bands slated to play. But I am sure it will be alot of fun regardless.

I thought this was true for me until the first time I saw Guns & Roses. I got free tickets and that's why I went. Was kinda hum-ho about what they sounded like on the radio. I didn't "know" a damed song in their catalog and hadn't even heard but one or two songs on the radio.

With that being said, out of all the concerts I've seen over 40 years (hundreds!!), I still rank that show as THE NUMBER ONE BEST SHOW I'VE EVER SEEN!! That's the reason, for me; I don't have to be able to sing the lyrics verbatum or anticipate every time change or power chord. I am a visual person, so the most important thing for me is the energy and tightness live. And, holy shit, was that gig energetic!! Then, an hour and a half into the show, just as my head is about to explode from the energy, a fucking grand piano comes onto the stage and I hear maybe the most moving power ballad I had ever heard - November Rain!! That's when I knew that show would be hard to top - When a band can put me over the edge with versatility and not energy!!

Good thread!!

Chris :headbang:

...We contacted all our metal friends, and none could go. But then Saturday morning we found out an old friend of the other person I was going with could go. She didn't know a single band on the roster. So she joined us on Saturday and we got there just after Zero Hour played.

She had as good of a time watching/listening to the bands as anybody. She didn't know a single damn song, but she was blown away by basically ever band there. It was really cool to see somebody who had no clue what to expect, who got a free ticket, enjoy something like this that much...

this sounds like exactly what happened with us, down to the very last detail. wow. And yes, my son's marching band alumni who came with us enjoyed all of the bands on Saturday evening (we arrived late - after Zero Hour as well). Thunderstone was good in her opinion and she really liked Vision Divine. But she enjoyed EPICA most of all. Being a band student herself, I think the symphonic element really rocked her world! now she wants to return next year. LOL.

:headbang:

There have been bands that I just could not get into, until I saw them live. Nightwish is a prime example. I tried a few times and just could not get past Tarja. I figured thier set would be a bust as I didn't know anything about them. Saw the set and got over that pretty fast.

For me, hearing a great live band for the first time at a concert is special, and in a lot of circumstances it's tough to top that first time I see the band. The element of surprise is what kicks my ass. If I see them again after having been blown away the first time and subsequently having gotten good and familiar with their catalogue, it hits in a different way - sometimes better, sometimes not quite so good. Anyway, for me a good live show is undeniable, regardless of familiarity with the band's material.

Here's something that might be provocative, so shoot me down as you wish: I think a lot of contemporary metal artists focus so much on their studio sound that they forget how to put on a good live show. They go through the motions (inciting chants, claps, and singalongs from the crowd, headbanging, waggling their tongues, scissor-kicking the air...), but they don't forge a true connection with the audience. With these artists/bands, familiarity with their studio material makes a big difference with regard to audience members' enjoyment. However, bands that know how to connect with an audience can do it regardless of their familiarity with the material played.

Here's something that might be provocative, so shoot me down as you wish: I think a lot of contemporary metal artists focus so much on their studio sound that they forget how to put on a good live show. They go through the motions (inciting chants, claps, and singalongs from the crowd, headbanging, waggling their tongues, scissor-kicking the air...), but they don't forge a true connection with the audience.
With the exception of Opeth, I can't think of too many bands (I enjoy) who lack stage presence.

Zod

For me, if I know the music I of course enjoy it more.

If I don't know the music, I can still enjoy it, but usually based on 2 things.

Mainly, they have to have passion. Passion can be energy in the form of going crazy, facial expressions while soloing, etc.. Doesn't matter. They don't have to headbang, but they do have to look like they are enjoying themselves and that they love playing.

To a lesser extent, extreme musicianship will allow me to enjoy a show (though this wears off faster for me, as my main concern is song writing).

But I hope most people give bands a shot when they don't know them, because aside from word of mouth between friends to check out CDs, live is THE best place for bands to gain a following.