You don't have to know the songs to enjoy them

The best example i think of is Luppi. I didn't really know vision divine too well at all- but damn did i fuckin love their performance.

This is exactly the example that came to mind as I started reading this thread. I bought one CD from Vision Divine prior to PPVII, but pretty much just gave it a cursory listen. However, seeing the band live was absolutely one of the highlights of the festival for me. (I was actually hoping to see them play the pre-party next year, but given the FK announcement, I wouldn’t expect the odds to be good for *two* returning bands.)

Generally, though, I’d rather be familiar with the band’s material. Case in point from last year’s pre-party: during Circle II Circle’s set, I enjoyed the older CIIC and Sava material a lot more than the new songs. And I was surprised that Circus Maximus chose to open their set with a brand new song instead of leading off with “Sin”.

And speaking of being familiar with a band’s material, I just got back from Vegas where I caught my second TSO show of the year. There are certain points in the show where I enjoy watching the *crowd* even more than the band. I love to watch the newbies do this when they get their first look at some of the major special effects.

===>> :OMG:

Shows performed by bands whose songs I know >>>>> Shows performed by bands whose songs I don't know

Zod

I'd put it slightly differently, because a) there CAN be times when a hitherto unknown band can eclipse a known band for me, and b) I'm a geek. :heh:

"Shows performed by bands whose songs I know have a +5 circumstance bonus to rock my socks off...over shows from bands with whom I'm unfamiliar." :lol:

Oh, +1 to you folks talking about Luppi and Vision Divine....I had to miss much of their set and their stage presence still impressed me greatly.

Shows performed by bands whose songs I know >>>>> Shows performed by bands whose songs I don't know

Zod

I agree 100%...

On the The Gathering tour it even happened with the opener! I was not familiar with Giant Squid at all! I thought they were OK on the first night I saw them..
On the second night I was blown away... really! I bought their album and think it's one of the best released this year. :)

I went into PPV not knowing any band but the Weapons of Mass Destruction and even then I didn't know any of Jon's solo material. I was completely blown away by both Tad Morose and Brainstorm! I agree with Chris, its all about the energy. Blind Guardian was another band that I only knew the Nightfall songs and even those I had only heard a few times. I saw them in Dallas four years ago and was astounded at the performance alone and that show made me a fan.

Yep when I saw Stratovarius a while back at The Pound in SF the opener was a band that me and my buddies had never heard of but they simply blew us away with their passion and intensity.
This band happened to be.........Into Eternity!:kickass:

Concerts for me serve the purpose of worshipping at the alter of bands who've created songs I love, to be a part of those great songs live, to show some appreciation for the band, and to be able to share the experience with the audience members around me. Seeing a band whose work I don't know does not interest me in the slightest. In fact, I'd much rather hear their studio albums first before hearing them live.

That's the best thing about ProgPower for me. Every year I get to see bands I already know and love AND get introduced to new bands that become favorites. Every year I come back home a fan of more bands than when I first get there. My first PP I went to JUST to see Circle II Circle and my friend went just to see Symphony X. I'd heard a song or two from Nightwish but wasn't into that type of vocals and I'd seen Evergrey at BW&BK that year but didn't think they were anything special and that was it. Nightwish and Evergrey totally blew me away at PPIV and I also really enjoyed Symphony X and Vanden Plas. Other bands I knew nothing or next to nothing about that impressed me include Therion, Orphaned Land, Circus Maximus, Stride, Epica, Freak Kitchen and Vision Divine. My only problem with this is that once they become a favorite, I cant wait until I get the chance to see them again so I can sing along and enjoy them even more because now I DO know the songs.