You guys and gals have converted me

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
Dammit.

I was completely satisfied with my own little prog metal world listening to 12 minute tunes using d-sharp decending arpegios and feeling intellectually superior to most people. Now, having been back to this board for almost a year, I have been drawn back into the world of melodic power metal. At one time in my life, I was really into this genre before everything just got stale for me and I abandoned it completely. Thanks to the fine folks here I have been introduced to some seriously badass bands I never would have given any thought to a few years ago. Here's what I've recently purchased(don't tell my wife)

Helker - SOmewhere in the CIrcle
Innersiege - Kingdom of Shadows
Code of Silence - Dark Skies Over babylon
Coldspell - FRozen Paradise
Magnus Karlssen - Freefall
Electronomicon - Unleashing the Shadows
Silent Force - Rising form the Ashes

I finally have come to realize that, for me, it's all about melodies. These can be found in lots of metal and rock and prog, but this new breed of melodic metal has really grabbed me with the heavier compositions yet maintaining a solid song structure based on melodic hooks.

I am, not my checking or paypal account, looking forward to exploring some newer stuff like this and maybe some I've missed over the last eight years or so. So, if anyone wants to contribute to my poverty, please recommend some stuff for me. I thank you in advance, and my wallet hates you.

I have been in the same boat as you being more of a prog metal-head to more melodic metal in recent years. Here are some things for you to check out if you haven't already.

The Magnificent- The Magnificent
Eclipse Bleed - Bleed And Scream
Anthem - Burning Oath
Anthem - Black Empire
Anthem - Heraldic Device
Galneryus - Angel Of Salvation
Galneryus - Phoenix Rising
Heed - The Call
Nautiluz - Leave All Behind
Wardrum - Messenger
Takayoshi Ohmura - Devils In The Dark
Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin
Stamina - Perseverance

I have been in the same boat as you being more of a prog metal-head to more melodic metal in recent years. Here are some things for you to check out if you haven't already.

The Magnificent- The Magnificent
Eclipse Bleed - Bleed And Scream
Anthem - Burning Oath
Anthem - Black Empire
Anthem - Heraldic Device
Galneryus - Angel Of Salvation
Galneryus - Phoenix Rising
Heed - The Call
Nautiluz - Leave All Behind
Wardrum - Messenger
Takayoshi Ohmura - Devils In The Dark
Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin
Stamina - Perseverance

The band is actually called Eclipse (not Eclipse Bleed) and Bleed & Scream is indeed a killer album, maybe my #1 of 2012.

Anthem is the best Japanese metal band for me, but the vocals (half Jap/half English) might be an acquired taste.
This Wardrum disc is their best one.
That new Eden's Curse is excellent, but the couple ones before were very good as well.
The Magnificent is pretty good but could have used a little more heaviness.

Helker - SOmewhere in the CIrcle
Innersiege - Kingdom of Shadows
Code of Silence - Dark Skies Over babylon
Coldspell - FRozen Paradise
Magnus Karlssen - Freefall
Electronomicon - Unleashing the Shadows
Silent Force - Rising form the Ashes

Some great stuff in this listing.

You have to check the latest CRYSTAL BALL-Dawnbreaker. This is killer melodic metal IMO.
Also JADED HEART, the last 4 are excellent (Common Destiny, Perfect Insanity, Sinister Mind, Helluva Time)

Some other suggestions:
HUMAN FORTRESS-Raided Land
The last 2 PRETTY MAIDS (Pandemonium & Motherland)
FATE-If Not for The Devil (and also the previous one, Ghosts From The Past)
MAD MAX-Interceptor
WOLFPAKK-Cry Wolf
HEAVENS FIRE-Judgement Day
SAFFIRE-From Ashes To Fire
TAINTED NATION-F.E.A.R.

The Code of Silence really doing it for me, kinda like Labyrinth mixed with Magnitude Nine. Super quality stuff, and Monsanto sounds awesome. Helker is pretty badass too. I think I ignored them because of their awful name. My mistake.

The Code of Silence really doing it for me, kinda like Labyrinth mixed with Magnitude Nine. Super quality stuff, and Monsanto sounds awesome. Helker is pretty badass too. I think I ignored them because of their awful name. My mistake.

Speaking of Gus Monsanto, he's also singing on the new Human Fortress I mentioned previously.

I'll need to revisit Code Of Silence, I don't remember much of it.

I love The Code of silence album , it really went under the radar. Great songs, and Ben Randall is one of the best young guitarists out there.

I'll also put my votes in for the last 2 Pretty Maids albums (Pandemonium and Motherland) as well as Eclipse. As has been mentioned, their most recent disc (Bleed and Scream) is KILLER. I can't pick a favorite track from it. One of the best albums beginning to end I have heard in a long time.

I started listening to Anthem and thought, "wow, he has a thick accent." Then I realized he's singing in a foreign language, now I know Japanese. I have the rest of the evening off and will be iced in tonight, so I'll be sampling a bunch of new stuff based on the above recommendations.