What would you guys think about Marillion or Porcupine Tree headlining Prog Power?

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
One of the detractors for me of late has been the bands like Firewind, Thunderstone, and Primal Fear. I like power metal, don't get me wrong... and it doesn't have to be proggy, but when it follows simple repetitive verse/chorus structures -- it doesn't really matter to me how great the songs are... it'll bore me, eventually.

I know power has much more pull than prog does... but what about bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, and Marillion headlining the fest? Glenn has his reasoning as to why bands like this aren't playing. But pretty soon we'll have to change the festival name to Fist Pumpers VIII if we don't get some good prog acts :lol:

It just seems, every year, the definition for what "prog" is as far as this festival goes gets looser and looser :) Don't take this as me bitching about the fest as I like power metal just as much as the next guy... I just really was hoping Marillion or Porcupine Tree would headline one year, as unlikely as that would be :)

The Michael

The Michael

I don't know. Don't see a reason for those bands to headline. Great bands though. Just not as much on the metal side as maybe preferred for this festival? Marillion is prog-rock these days. Though I really enjoyed their latest offering. Porcupine Tree goes back and forth, same with Spock's Beard.

Your post does get at one point though. There are very few upper echelon (say headliner/co-headliner) prog-metal bands. Especially if we are talign Dream Theater/King Crimson esque bands.

I wouldnt mind Porcupine Tree or maybe Marillion, but I have listened to them that much. If Spocks Beard were to play I would watch no more than half their set since I would fall asleep.

I think there's room for a prog rock band(as opposed to prog metal) on the Progpower roster. But not as a headliner.

I'm thinking it would make more sense to put a Marillion or a Spock's Beard in a 3 slot.

I've seen all these bands a bunch of times live ,so here's my take:

Spock's Beard - Quite a bit heavier than on record, and they put on an excellent live show. They're not quite the band they were when Neal was with them, but they're still a lot of fun live. Probably a little too traditional prog for this festival, though.

Marillion - No. They've devolved into a ballad act, and are way too goddamn mellow. The audience would be asleep by the third song. Hell, I love Marillion, and almost dozed off the last time I saw them.

Porcupine Tree - Steve Wilson would never do it (he hates the word "prog"), but of all the bands you mentioned, this would be the one that would knock the unbelievers on their ass. They are very heavy live, and a lot of their more current tunes are right around the edges of metal, and occasionally crossing right over on the new one (Fear Of A Blank Planet). They are an amazing live band, and will totally suck people in with their intensity. I don't know that they'd be a draw, because they tour a lot, but they would kick ass, and people would dig them if they even remotely like anything beyond double bass metal.

Honestly, bands like this really are just not going to fit into ProgPower. They need that metal component, which most prog bands are not going to offer. There are some talented prog metal bands out there that have not yet played the show (Enchant, Andromeda, Cryptic vision), plus a bunch that have released really good first discs.

I honestly think you're better off going to Nearfest or RoSFest to see bands like Spock's Beard and such. They fit in much better there than they would at PP. Just my dumb opinion, of course...

dt

Considering that after all of this time that Enchant hasn't made an appearance, I find it highly unlikely that bands like Marillion or PT would be good fits.

To be honest, there are plenty of festivals out there where you can get progressive rock. On the east coast alone there is NEARFest, ROSFest and Prog Day.

For Prog Metal and Power Metal, ProgPower is really the only game in town (so to speak).

Jason

I would only want Marillion if Fish was fronting them. Since this isn't 1987, that isn't going to happen.

I love Stupid Dream (though thats the only one i really like) and I love early Marillion and would love to see them. With that said, they do not fit the fest and I would not want this fest to become a prog rock fest. Above all I am a metalhead and not a prog rock kind of person. Id prefer to see Marduk or something at ProgPower over PT or Marillion 'cause thats how I roll.

I would still love to see Marillion though. =)

Headlining? You really do have to be kidding here. Prog bands have a place at this festival but how in the hell is Glenn going to seriously promote a festival headlined by Porcupine Tree or Spock's Beard? It just sounds like some D&D nerd fest that is about to happen (to the average Joe on the street). Yeah, I know, names like Firewind and Primal Fear, etc etc elicit a reaction too but that reaction would tend to paint a very clear picture that metal is taking place at the venue. Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard? Could be metal, could be an acoustic art rock show or it could be some mega-gay suckoff soundtrack on Vivid Video. The average person would never be able to get any direction from those names. And that's just the major problem of the lot that would be offered by those bands headlining.

Anyone that SERIOUSLY thinks that Spock's Beard should be playing ProgPower, never mind headlining, should have seen what happened at BAR Fest when SB hit the stage: Half the place walked out.

Folks, ProgPower is a METAL festival. Not a rock festival. If you bring in Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree, why not bring in Dire Straits or the Moody Blues? Their prog as well. You get my drift?

The average person would never be able to get any direction from those names. And that's just the major problem of the lot that would be offered by those bands headlining.

Pink Cream 69.

Headlining? No. Early slot or pre-party? Yes. You may have a Rage effect if you have them headline. Although this year, I think Primal Fear could keep asses in the venue if they closed out the night. Think of how Silent force & Brainstorm went over huge. Straight up in your face power metal.. people like it, and usually wins some naysayers over.