What would you guys think about Marillion or Porcupine Tree headlining Prog Power?

At the risk of stating the obvious, isn't this suppose to be a Metal festival? Neither PT or Marillion is Metal. As a wild card in a #3 slot, I could see it. But as a headliner? Pass.

Zod

Considering that after all of this time that Enchant hasn't made an appearance, I find it highly unlikely that bands like Marillion or PT would be good fits.

To be honest, there are plenty of festivals out there where you can get progressive rock. On the east coast alone there is NEARFest, ROSFest and Prog Day.

For Prog Metal and Power Metal, ProgPower is really the only game in town (so to speak).

Jason

THANK YOU!!!

I'd love to see a "mellow" band play prog power.. Not necessaraly prog, just more laid back..

I think it's the only form of "oddball" that is missing. We got everything from Melodic Rock to Death vocals... It would be nice for a change :)

Mellow is a completely different story for me. Not headlining, but in a good slot, I'd like to see Lake of Tears or particularly Tiamat among some others. They'd certainly not sell tix as a headliner, but I think they'd win over masses of fans at a 3 slot at PP. Mellow isn't my issue and neither is "rock" or "metal". Bands with an established metal history is my point more than anything. That's why Pink Cream 69 worked for me (and I think when people would hear that, they'd immediately think "hair metal" which IMO works because we are doing a metal festival).

Of the bands mentioned, the only one I could see playing PPUSA -- and not headlining, mind you -- would be Porcupine Tree. A carefully chosen set consisting of their heavier songs ("Shallow," etc.) would be pretty damned amazing. BUT, they tour here enough that a PP appearance would be unnecessary; they'd get a longer headlining set as part of their own tour and they could bring their own mixing board again. (!)

That being said, their star is on the rise. PT were mentioned a lot by Rush fans I talked to at the recent show here. "Ever seen 'em?" "Yep!" I replied. etc.

If I thought Marillion or SB were valid PP choices, I'd be militatin' hard for Ozric Tentacles to play. :heh:

Flower Kings would be pretty cool though. Don't know their situation or what the likelihood of this ever happening is.

I could see Porcupine Tree or Marillion in the upper slots of Progpower. As someone previously mentioned, PT does have heavier tunes that do absolutely well when played live (I'm always up for PT live show!). Problem is, I think at this point that PT has gotten "bigger" in fanbase. They've had two nights of sold out shows in places like Chicago and SF (not sure about NYC). So they may not need the exposure that alot of bands that rely on PP to help spread the word.

Marillion, for as much as I'd love to see this band play live, don't know if the PP crowd would be too welcoming of them though. Then again, they could be included in the "oddball" category that Devin Townsend and PC 69 qualified for????

Opeth is way too big at this point to play PP (although I'd love to see them there).

As much of a Marillion freak as I used to be, I've gotten to where I listen to their new albums less and less. The old music is gold to me, and I'll never tire of it, but I don't even consider much of the new music prog to be honest.

Porcupine Tree is all over the place musically. While their audience does continue to grow, I don't see it as a good fit for PP. They did recently put on a pretty large show here in LA, and I was impressed with the turnout. Not as much with the latest album though.

No, I like the PP headliners to be a little more Power and a little less Prog.

porcupine tree headlining would be insanely amazing, i hear they sound good live, but they dont really interact with the crowd any. ive only heard this from one person so it could just be rubbish.

i dont know enough about marillion, ill check into them more.

oh and btw, primal fear is NOT a turn off, just wait until the show, they are gonna rock!

porcupine tree headlining would be insanely amazing, i hear they sound good live, but they dont really interact with the crowd any. ive only heard this from one person so it could just be rubbish.
They're pretty dull. I've seen them twice. Great sound, no energy. Might as well sit home and listen to the CDs.

Zod

They're pretty dull. I've seen them twice. Great sound, no energy. Might as well sit home and listen to the CDs.

Zod

I don't totally agree. While they are boring to watch, I think the live playing is a bit harder than what you get on the CDs, and I enjoy the live performances from this angle. Otherwise, yeah, no real communication with the crowd. They do put some effort into some interesting videos during the shows. I do like that, as not many bands make an attempt to integrate media like that.

PT and M do have a common entity if you're familiar with the bands. While he isn't on the albums, John Wesley is their touring guitarist. John Wesley also used to tour extensively with Marillion as an opening act, released his first release on their record label, and has even been a member of Fish's band at one time. Just thought it was interesting since both bands came up together.

Mellow is a completely different story for me. Not headlining, but in a good slot, I'd like to see Lake of Tears or particularly Tiamat among some others. They'd certainly not sell tix as a headliner, but I think they'd win over masses of fans at a 3 slot at PP. Mellow isn't my issue and neither is "rock" or "metal". Bands with an established metal history is my point more than anything. That's why Pink Cream 69 worked for me (and I think when people would hear that, they'd immediately think "hair metal" which IMO works because we are doing a metal festival).

I'd love to see Lake of Tears at ProgPowerUSA, great metal band, who put on a good, heavy enough show to win over the crowd as you said.

Considering that after all of this time that Enchant hasn't made an appearance, I find it highly unlikely that bands like Marillion or PT would be good fits.

To be honest, there are plenty of festivals out there where you can get progressive rock. On the east coast alone there is NEARFest, ROSFest and Prog Day.

For Prog Metal and Power Metal, ProgPower is really the only game in town (so to speak).

Jason

Dude, as many "firefights" as there's been over Enchant headlining ProgPower, I agree that there's no way in Hell that PT or Marillion would ever headline or even play ProgPower. Of course, that's just my opinion.:heh:

Marillion were/are nowhere near metal. Only flirtations w/the heavier side of prog rock at best. If a band like that got into this show it would open the floodgates for anything non-metal. I can just here the "yeah, but Marillion played so ____ could" now. Porcupine Tree do flirt w/metal a bit, and a much better band in their own right, but still not PP material. If you're looking for a band along these lines that is rooted in metal, then let's hear a clarion call for Agalloch to play. Absolutely phenomenal band, very under-rated and unheard of by many, and would be an absolute treat since they don't play live that often.
Sidenote, as much as I love Opeth (seen 'em twice) there's no chance for 'em at PP due to the draw they get on their own when touring.