The Absence - Riders of the Plague

Non - Metal:
Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring
Tool - Vicarious (DVD)
Russian Circles - Stations
NIN - The Slip
NIN - Ghosts I-IV
sleepmakeswaves - in today already walks tomorrow

Every time I see The Sword it makes me think that Sword the Canadian band from the 80's has reformed. Their debut Metalized, is a classic album that should be in every metalheads collection.

It's been kind of a lean year, more disappointments than surprises....here are some of the albums that I have really enjoyed though...

Metallica - Death Magnetic
Hanging Doll - Reason & Madness
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Moonspell - Night Eternal
Dakrya - Monumento

I added one to my list.

1. Hail of Bullets "...Of Frost and War"
2. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
3. Satyricon - The Age of Nero
4. Metallica - Death Magnetic

The new Satyricon is BAD ASS. If you liked "Now, Diabolical", this is one is equally good.

AND, AJATTARA is in the studio. I'm already geared for 2009.

Death Magnetic is a real grower.

I wonder if we would have all hated this album had they not released St. Anger right before.

Death Magnetic is a real grower.

I wonder if we would have all hated this album had they not released St. Anger right before.

I think I might've stated this before here, but to reiterate, I honestly base my opinion of "Death Magnetic" on how it grabs me and impresses upon me now, having nothing to do with what they've done in the recent past.

I wasn't a big fan of "St. Anger" but I also didn't completely loathe it like so many others did. And I think both "Load" and "Reload" had their merits and songs I enjoyed. I wasn't really expecting to like the new Metallica as much as I do, I figured it would be "just ok" and that's that. After I listened to it a couple of times through, I found myself really being hooked by the songs and the great riffing. I keep finding myself going back and listening to it again, because I just enjoy it alot. I find some faults in it here and there but overall it's a really solid album. Not, "a really solid album compared to 'St. Anger'", even though that may hold true as well.

If this were an album by a new band I'd never heard, I think I'd enjoy it just as much as I do now.

I don't buy much new music. So little of what I hear grabs me more than things I missed from the past. For instance, Hail of Bullets sounds right up my alley but Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales was on sale.

Anyhow...
ZImmers Hole-When You Were Shouting at the Devil...
Amanda Palmer-Who Killed Amanda Palmer

I think I might've stated this before here, but to reiterate, I honestly base my opinion of "Death Magnetic" on how it grabs me and impresses upon me now, having nothing to do with what they've done in the recent past.

I wasn't a big fan of "St. Anger" but I also didn't completely loathe it like so many others did. And I think both "Load" and "Reload" had their merits and songs I enjoyed. I wasn't really expecting to like the new Metallica as much as I do, I figured it would be "just ok" and that's that. After I listened to it a couple of times through, I found myself really being hooked by the songs and the great riffing. I keep finding myself going back and listening to it again, because I just enjoy it alot. I find some faults in it here and there but overall it's a really solid album. Not, "a really solid album compared to 'St. Anger'", even though that may hold true as well.

If this were an album by a new band I'd never heard, I think I'd enjoy it just as much as I do now.

I've really enjoyed it. It was just a question I've been asking myself, you know? I was one, too, who didn't hate St. Anger entirely. I thought it had one maaaaaaybe two songs that were good at the time. When it comes to riffing though, Death Magnetic might be my favorite since Justice...

I doubt they'll be able to top the godly 4, but hell....let them give it a shot!

DM will definitely be on my playlist for awhile.

My top 3

1. Opeth - Watershed
2. Cult Of Luna - Eternal Kingdom - Am I the only one who likes them here? o_O
3. Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery

My list would be something like:

Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Opeth - Watershed
Agalloch - The White
Moonspell - Night Eternal
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Bloodbath - Both their releases this year

With that being said, I haven't heard Hindsight yet, and it will probably blow everything away from this list when I do, and not to mention their album comoing out with new songs, whenever that comes. I'm also really looking forward to the new Steven Wilson-album.

I know this ain't an album, but I don't care, for it must be mentioned- The song-"Forever with Unopened Eye." Acoustic version and (metal) version are fuckin' stupendous,man. This song has been stuck in me head for a long time. What do the British call it "an earworm"? No matter, one of the best songs I've heard.

In no particular order

Burst - Lazarus Bird
Machinery - The Passing
Agalloch - The White
Ufomammut - Idolum
Esoteric - Maniacal Vale
Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase