Zero Hour

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
I like Zero Hour. I really like them. They are good, hard, progmetal. However, after listening to this last album I felt that they are getting to be a bit repetitive. Most of their songs have a very similar sound for the bulk of the song with the chorus being different in all of them.

After watching them play in the DVD, I think I figured out what it is that makes them sound repetitive. Basically, they sound like a band with a drummer, vocalist, bassist and a rhythm guitar player. If they had a lead guitarist who could really jam out some jazzy, soulfull riffs on top of what is already being played, they'd be perfect.

What do you think?

This is just my opinion and I love my brothas in Zero Hour but I really love the early albums, specially Metamorphosis with Matt Guillory on keys. I don't think they lack another guitar player but keyboards in my opinion. No matter what they are great and Eyes of Denial is still one of my favorite songs period... Bear

They're a very rhythmic band. Bands that are rhythmic often seem to be mistaken for being repetitive. If the new song they did on their tour is any indication of things to come, the next CD will be the next step in their evolution.

If they were to add any other element to their live sound, let it be keys. Otherwise, they are unique and good at what they do. I think part of what makes them so tight and in your face is their current configuration.

Hmm... I honestly thought Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond was a great album. Its funny that you find it repetitive. The reason why a lot of people don't like Zero Hour is actually the opposite -- meaning they don't repeat enough. There's no verse/chorus structure to their music. Each song is an epic piece that twists and turns in a thousand different directions. The tremendous ammount of musical knowledge they employ in their compositions garners much respect in my book. I really enjoy the sound they come up with -- its a challenging, intense listening experience. If I might make a suggestion, why don't you try focussing on one Zero Hour song at a time rather than simply ingesting the whole album at once. Each song is so elaborate, I'd recommend listening to one song a few times on repeat and get the feel for it. After awhile, the complexity and intensity of their sound will click, and you'll either dig it or not. But at least maybe you'll get a feel for why so many people enjoy Zero Hour.

And you're not the only one to dislike Zero Hour on this board or among this festivals patrons. Sadly, Zero Hour are one of the last great Prog Metal bands out there. And with the reaction Zero Hour got last Prog Power, you can really see how increasingly removed the audience is getting from the Prog side in the Prog Power Festival.

With Zero Hour playing the two shows for the Bay Area Rock Fest, I really think this band deserves all the props they can get. They're an easy band to dismiss next to a rockin' dark power metal band. But they are just as, if not more rewarding to listen to.

Of their four albums, I like Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond the best and Metamorphisis second best. I love the piano and keyboards on the debut Metamorphisis -- it really added a lot of color and melody to their sound. I'm honestly surprised Bear agrees with me on this one. We usually argue more :)

NP: Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings
(would really love to see these guys play Prog Power, they'd be the perfect addition for the PROG side)

The Michael

They're a very rhythmic band. Bands that are rhythmic often seem to be mistaken for being repetitive. If the new song they did on their tour is any indication of things to come, the next CD will be the next step in their evolution.

If they were to add any other element to their live sound, let it be keys. Otherwise, they are unique and good at what they do. I think part of what makes them so tight and in your face is their current configuration.

Yeah and this happens even more with distortion, because its harder for people to hear the differences in the chords.

But from what I've heard of them I don't think that they are repetitive. Partly due to their vocal melodies.

And you're not the only one to dislike Zero Hour on this board or among this festivals patrons.

I like Zero Hour. I really like them. They are good, hard, progmetal.

Rather than listening to the song as a whole, I suggest you listen to the verse of one song. Listen to the guitar. Generally, although it is quite fast, aggressive, and challenging to listen to (not at all a pop chord progression), it repeats over and over during the entire verse. That in itself is not horrible. However, if you listen to several of their songs, the rhythm employed in the verse in each song is very similar to the rhythms in most of their other songs. The rhythm is not the same, nor is the chord progression the same. However, the feel of it is very similar to all of their songs.

Now don't get me wrong. It works. However, all I'm saying is that it could use some melody to go along with it. It doesn't have to be a "standard" sounding melody as that would not work with a band as prog as ZH. However, some kind of melody would serve to add just a bit more variation to their music. And BTW, when I say melody, I mean it in the loosest definition possible. Bear might be right in that keyboard would do the job better. But I think they need something doing something other than playing the same chord progression over and over again during the verse.

How someone could love Zero Hour and not like Specs was just so beyond me I assumed you didn't like the band... even after I read the sentence where you said you do :lol:

That all said, I do agree with Bear on the keyboards. That said, I just don't think Jason and Troy don't really want to deal with a fourth musician in their band. From what Jason and Troy told me, the keyboardist on their debut album was too expensive and they honestly feel their sound is best how it is.

The Michael

If they had a lead guitarist who could really jam out some jazzy, soulfull riffs on top of what is already being played, they'd be perfect.

What do you think?
I'm of the opinion that Zero Hour is perfect the way they are. I suspect, that if Jasun thought something jazzy or soulfull would fit the band's musical vision better, he'd simply play it. Have you ever heard his Jazz CD?

Zod

If they had a lead guitarist who could really jam out some jazzy, soulfull riffs on top of what is already being played, they'd be perfect.

What do you think?
Not entirely sure what you mean by that. I think a strong jazz/blues guitar influence would not fit with their progressive/technical style. But soulful? I find Jasun's guitar playing, (and Chris' vocals and the all around Zero Hour sound) incredibly soulful. Not to mention passionate, intense, dynamic, innovate...
Well, yea, I really like them as they are. ;)

I think Michael may have a good point; try to digest one or two songs at time. Play them over and really absorb them withouth trying to grab onto the whole album. Maybe then you'll hear the changing passages and the soul. :)

I pretty much agree with this review of Specs.

I suspect, that if Jasun thought something jazzy or soulfull would fit the band's musical vision better, he'd simply play it. Have you ever heard his Jazz CD?

Zod

EXCELLENT DISC!!! It is called, "Seduction", and as you might guess, it makes for good bedroom music. It's along the lines of Al Di Meola.

I can't stand the new album, Specs..I'm a Zero Hour fanatic too but the last album bored the heck out of me...Listening to that album more then 5 times was grueling to say the least..but, to each his own....My favorite album by them is without a doubt Metamorphis....just awesome.....Destiny is Sorrow is also a killer song of the 2nd to last album, what an epic

lunatic:kickass:

Ok. I guess I'm just being overly critical. Seems like people are either fanboys or don't care for ZH at all. I fall in between. No biggie. I do LOVE the new vocalist. He works so damn well with the band.

Ok. I guess I'm just being overly critical. Seems like people are either fanboys or don't care for ZH at all. I fall in between. No biggie. I do LOVE the new vocalist. He works so damn well with the band.
I read a little more of an inciteful critique into the comments than that, but oh well. Guess, I'm a fanboy. How unusual. :)