Anathema & Old Doom

Anthony

criminal
May 20, 2001
Russia,St.Petersburg
www.fractured.narod.ru
Hey men, is there anyone, who loves old Anathema(THe Silent Enigma, Pentecost III), Paradise Lost(Shades.., Icon), My Dying Bride(Turn Loose The Swans) and so on doomy gloomy slow stuff?
It just makes interest to me, are guys like me alive or they are departed like dinosaurs and I have to wait the same for me.
It's sad noone plays such a MUSIC... or maybe you know someone?
Anthony Arcturus:confused:

Yeah I'm into that stuff. I'm into even older anathema too, like crestfallen and serenades (that's some doom/death for you), MDB, Paradise (older like Gothic). I actually like everything the above bands put out. they are no longer doom/death but their early stuff is classic. what about katatonia dance of december souls. its very much in the vein of PL gothic.

celestial season is a good band, i have solar lovers and it is good doom/death type stuff. em sinfonia is good. I have their ep, but haven't got their full lenght yet. they are more gothic/atmospheric, but I like them more than Tristania or any of that crap. November's Doom is a great doom/death band. their newest, 'THe Knowing,' is killer. they are mp3.com. check em out. there are a lot of others that I can't think of off the top of my head. all you gotta do is look around. good stuff isn't that hard to find.

I only have Anathema-Eternity and I absolutly love that album ive been meaning to get some other albums but haven't yet for some reason. Also My Dying Bride I have heard a few mp3's of and like what I have heard, any recommendations on what the best album to get by them is?

Eternity is awesome. Serenades and crestfallen ep (they are packaged together these day) are great doomdeath recordings...

I love all MDB. you can't go wrong. if you are looking for doom/death, go with Trinity, as the flower whithers and turn loose the swans as well as the newest, the light at the end of the world. . TLTS is my favorite. after that, they get a little weird. their most accessible album is like gods of the sun. the most epic is the angel and the dark river, the weirdest would be 34.788% complete... all of them are great as far as I'm concerned.

Looking for great Doom metal bands?
Look no further, cause I can recommend you some of the best.

First of all, Saturnus.
They are from Denmark and they play great Doom.
Check out their debut, Paradise Belongs to You, it is released on Euphonious records in 1997. It is probably their best, although the follow-ups, For Lonely Loveless Nights (1998) and Martyre (2000) also kick ass.
Paradise is more like Bride (Swans era) with great growling vocal, atmospheric keyboards and phantastic guitar work, while Martyre is a perfect documentation of obvious Anathema worship (Eternity/Enigma era).
For Loveless Lonely Nights is mini CD with 2 songs live and 4 new songs (containing the track 'Starres', the best Doom metal anthem ever to me).

Then there is Yearning, from Finland.
Their 1997 debut With Tragedies Adorned is awesome (on Holy Records).
Like Saturnus, also containing great vocalist who can carry melodies that will haunt you till the rest of the day(or night).
The album is compared to Bride, but it has stronger melancholic mood(thanks to vocal melodies), crushing guitars(crossed with acoustic passages) and epic keyboards swirling in the background.

The 1999 follower, Plaintive Scenes represents Yearning in more experimental way.
The album kicks ass, and the only album that springed to my mind when I played it for the first time was Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale (but in the gothic/doom way, can you imagine such perfect thing?).
Containing growls of Bride, epic vocals of Borknagar, oboe,flute & some gentle female vocals, lots of guitar effects & heavy guitar distortions, acoustic touches, and again the symphonic keyboards; all this in purpose to picture an epic scenery(and depressive landscapes of their homeland).
Really a masterpiece, unfortunately Holy didn't have enough strong distribution and advertisement worldwide for this brilliant album, but I hope people will still succeed in reaching it, wherever they live.(it is worth of it, believe me)

The latest, Frore Meadow is not so crazy as Plaintive Scenes, but it is more reflexive, it has an atmosphere Katatonia and Anathema have. It is released in February 2001 and the production is still amazing.

These two bands are one of my favourite, I'm into them for two years and I think they are the only one who play high quality Doom these days. Check 'em out!

There is one band also for you Arcturus lovers, but it is little hard to find.
The band is called Esoteric, they are from England and their Metamorphogenesis album is enjoyable & crazy & weird(just like La Masquerade). It is released in 2000 on Eibon Records (Italian label). They play doom metal, but it is drown in the ocean of effects and lots of vocals(screams,growls,roars and everything you can imagine). It is very monstrous at times, listener may feel like in some vortex (maybe that's how the Hell sounds,ha!).
And you will always hear something new.
(and I don't mean the melodies, just some another crazy effect or ANOTHER guitar weeping and screaming some crazy tunes).

Enjoy!

My favorite doom metal album of the moment is "Quietus" from Evoken this is probably the best doom album ever. check it out!!!
Here´s a list of my other favorite doom metal bands:
-My Dying Bride
-Esoteric
-Dolorian
-Skepticism
-Shape of Despair

I LOVE Anathema!Seen them close to 30 times now!First time was with Cannibal Corpse and COF at the Marquee in London in 92.Since then I've seen them all over the UK and in Holland,Belgium and Germany too.

Crestfallen and Serenades I think are superb albums(well Ep and Album!)Lovelorn Rhapsody and Sleep In Sanity are my favourites.

Pentecost 111 boasted some killer tunes in Kingdom and We The Gods.Sadly Darren White was ousted as vocalist/lyricist-he went on to form The Blood Divine with ex members of Cradle of Filth-They released 2 albums-the first Awaken is a classic!Like Sisters of Mercy meets Maiden!

With Vinnie taking over the vocals Anathema have slowly evolved and in 99 released Judgement-a stunning album that should have broken them worldwide.I saw the band live in May in London where they played a one off gig to preview some new songs from their forthcoming album due in October.

They sound stunning!

MDB are cool too-Turn Loose The Swans is my favourite!