Anathema & Old Doom

forgotten heroes and destiny is dead are my absolute favorites.

The CD just wow stopped me right in my tracks from the very first listen. One of those CDs that grabs your attention no matter what youre doing. Amazing. Utterly So.

celestial season... i heard only some of their newer stuff, and it's horrible, their older material should be good though...

Novembers Doom are amazing! can't believe americans can make that kind of music :)

MDB must be my fav... everything they did is absolutley amazing in my opinion (yeah, even THAT album...).

Anathema... nothing touches The Silent Enigma.....what an album!

you guys should check out Winter, ultra-heavy Doom/Death, only one album and an EP which actually a re-release of their demo, they've broken up, and their label re-released both the EP and the album in one package.

and when you say Anathema & Old Doom you're quite mistaken...Anathema aren't old doom, old doom is St.Vitus, Candlemass, Trouble and such...

Originally posted by Onan

and when you say Anathema & Old Doom you're quite mistaken...Anathema aren't old doom, old doom is St.Vitus, Candlemass, Trouble and such...
You're quite right.I LOVE those bands too especially TROUBLE-doom with a Christian message:)

Seen them a few times with Dio in England and at the Dynamo festival in Holland too:)

Originally posted by Anthony
It's sad noone plays such a MUSIC... or maybe you know someone?

Sure. I'd recommend November's Doom and Avernus, two great American doom metal bands. Both bear similarities to MDB, Paradise Lost, and Anathema, but they have their own sound. I think someone mentioned Saturnus already, but that band is *awesome.* Paradise Belongs To You is a doom metal masterpiece. Also, Evoken, another American band. Dark and haunting in a way I've heard NO ONE match. Highly recommended.

Originally posted by godisanathiest
It seems to me like I should get some Anathema, they sound good. What album do u recommend?

YOU JUST NEED TO HEAR ANATHEMA !!!
Go to http://listen.to/Anathema , there are some mp3s there, but if you want to be just blown away with their MASTERPIECES get:

1 The Silent Enigma 1995 - tragic, grandiouse, Universal death-doom.
2 Pentecost III 1995 - it was like prologue to "TSE" very powerful and deep.
3 Eternity 1996 already has different sound. Many things are much like Pink Floyd, clean vocals, hopeless, desperate...incredible!
4 Alternative 4 1998 - nevermind the word "Alternative" in the name - it is real doom with clean vocals, beautiful. Album have unbeleivable crushing, burting energy, it is depressive and hopeless, but after it's end it leaves no negative emotions in your heart. It comes like a Catharsis.
5 Judgement 1999 - the most "PinkFloydian" album in their discography, much acoustics and keyboards, but sounds very DOOMY.
6 Serenades 1993 - their early album, if you liked all of the above-listen to it. Like slow stormy clouds above dark summer woods and fields it comes, emotional, brilliant!

I think in this order you'd better listen to all their albs, I'm sure you will find something yours, something that is close to your heart in their music. With best wishes.

I read an inter view where it said there is a lot
tension between the two Cavanagh's brothers and that they don't speak to each other any more apart from the group...that puts the future of the band at risk?? Anyone know???

the new album, A Fine Day To Exit, is supposed to be very very
different from the previous albums, the album is influenced by Porcupine Tree (????)and Pink Floyd as is the bands signature style but its more prevalent on this cd.

One girl that I know went to Budapest, to the Pepsi Sziget festival, and Anathema played on August 5th there.
She has talked to both of Cavanagh brothers, Vinny & Danny after the gig and she hasn't noticed any 'tension' between the two. They were all smiles, as always.
Unfortunately, I wasn't there to drink with the guys:)mad: :( :mad: ). but she was nice enough to bring me Danny's autogramme:)

PS I can't wait A Fine Day to Exit.....It will be album of the year probably (next to Katatonia's LFDGD)

Originally posted by Anthony
Hey men, is there anyone, who loves old Anathema(THe Silent Enigma, Pentecost III), Paradise Lost(Shades.., Icon), My Dying Bride(Turn Loose The Swans) and so on doomy gloomy slow stuff?
It just makes interest to me, are guys like me alive or they are departed like dinosaurs and I have to wait the same for me.
It's sad noone plays such a MUSIC... or maybe you know someone?
Anthony Arcturus:confused:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you failed to mention the best albums: Crestfallen and the glorious SERENADES.

LOVELORN RHAPSODY.... the saddest song ever written.
The band died when Darren White was kicked out.
Vinny is such a clown.

Lovelorn Rhapsody (Anathema)

I hear your voice
It sings so softly
Curious to join in
A harmony to breathe forevermore

Joyous the one to hear a voice

In fields where grass grows tall
Golden carpets swell and whisper
Autumn trees will weep

Immune to pity, I've grown used to grief
The eternal tear reciprocates

In fields where grass grows tall
Golden carpets swell and whisper
Autumn trees will weep

Dawn breaks open like a wound that bleeds afresh
In bleak misery, the lifeless lie in squandor

Love has left me, fleed from me
Flagrant lust waits beside and dies
Like flowers that wilt without refreshment
In midday sun I sit and bide time

Adorning me, a lovelorn rhapsody

Originally posted by Wolff

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you failed to mention the best albums: Crestfallen and the glorious SERENADES.

LOVELORN RHAPSODY.... the saddest song ever written.
The band died when Darren White was kicked out.
Vinny is such a clown.
Vinny is not a clown, hero, hahaha ! But Darren is great, that's right! I think that two albs of The Blood Divine is a crystal brilliant both. And there he sings much more beautiful, powerfull and interesting. It's a pity that TBD is dead...
"Serenades" is one of my favorite albums in doom, all albums of Anathema are! HAIL DOOM!!!

Originally posted by Kelly
I read an inter view where it said there is a lot
tension between the two Cavanagh's brothers and that they don't speak to each other any more apart from the group...that puts the future of the band at risk?? Anyone know???

the new album, A Fine Day To Exit, is supposed to be very very
different from the previous albums, the album is influenced by Porcupine Tree (????)and Pink Floyd as is the bands signature style but its more prevalent on this cd.

Last time I've heard about tension between brothers was in the middle of recordings of "Alternative 4" and it caused Duncan's departure, damn! God, save Anathema, I'd prefer death of thousand Dark Funerals and Gorgoroths to one tension among Anathema members!

Yeah, someone on doom-metal.com posted that the new songs sound like Radiohead. As you said, Anathema has never made any bad music (and they are one of my favorite bands), so I'm going to buy it anyway. After all, every single Anathema album has been different in some ways. They don't repeat themselves.