Best Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read to many bio's, but I enjoyed very much the Nelson Mandela autobiography. Gave me the feeling that anyone and everyone is capable of changing the world for the better.

Wow, I hated that book. I really tried to finish it, but it was such a struggle that I gave up. It starts great, but then in the middle it is just so boring and frustrating...

hmm, you should have perservered. I think i know exactly the part you're talking about. Is it the part when the two lovers are constantly talking sloppy crap to each other through a hole in the fence? Nothing of importance to the plot is said for pages on end, its tedious to say the least.

The pace of the story is unbelieveable in the last 3rd of the book, the coup de grace just makes you want to stand up and applaud.

if you really cant be bothered to try it again, get the film adaption with Gerard Depardieu, its fantastic. Its in 6 one hour parts. Incredible performances by many french actors. dont get the hollywood version which is only 90 mins ish, too much is left out which is necessary for the story.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Preacher (the entire comic book series) - Garth Ennis and Steven Dillon (I don't care if it's a comic book, it deserves mention)
Anything by HP Lovecraft.
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
High Lonesome - Joyce Carol Oates (I met her, she's nice)
Forests Of the Heart - Charles De Lint (anything from him really)
A Wooden Sea - Johnathan Carroll
The First 6 books in the Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner Series by Laurell K. Hamilton (the first 6 books have the Heroine raising zombies, killing all manner of things that bump in the night, it was ok until after the 9th book, it just got smuttier and smuttier and now the later books aren't worth reading, unless you like penthouse letters.)

I never could really get into the "knights and dragons" classic fantasy, except for Tolkien's work. Same for Sci-Fi (except for Douglas Adams). I do love modern fantasy, like Neil Gaiman, Christopher Moore, etc...

You're the 2nd person that's recommended that book to me in the last few days. Some of the reviews make it sound like the second coming of Christ! I think I am going to read No Country for Old Men first since I already bought it, but I'll check out Blood Meridian after that.

That one is good too. The coolest thing ever is that the Coen brothers are filming a version of it as we speak.

The First 6 books in the Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner Series by Laurell K. Hamilton (the first 6 books have the Heroine raising zombies, killing all manner of things that bump in the night, it was ok until after the 9th book, it just got smuttier and smuttier and now the later books aren't worth reading, unless you like penthouse letters.)

sounds interesting...

Lately, I have tried reading the "Necroscope" series by Brian Lumley, it is like a sci-fi/vampire series. I found it too hard to follow, but I may check out this series you speak of :)

One of my favorite kind of reading are books dealing with the paranormal, obscure folklore, cutting edge scientific discoveries, time travel etc... I find those to be the most interesting things ever. I also like to check out sacred-texts.com from time to time, good website...

im a fan of the sandman series. i had heard so many praises about this novel that i had to pick it up from cambridge. fortunately, there was a discount, too. i havent had the chance to get to it yet.

For my money, Gaiman's Neverwhere is a way better book than American Gods. You should check it out.

James Joyce - Finnegans Wake
James Joyce - Ulysses
James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Herman Melville - Moby Dick
William Gaddis - The Recognitions
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenin
Don DeLillo - White Noise
Marcel Proust - In Search of Lost Time

James Joyce - Finnegans Wake
James Joyce - Ulysses
James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Herman Melville - Moby Dick
William Gaddis - The Recognitions
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenin
Don DeLillo - White Noise
Marcel Proust - In Search of Lost Time

Your list reads like a syllabus! Never read any Joyce. Been a bit scared off, tbqh. As for Pynchon, I've read The Crying of Lot 49 and it actually made me feel kind of dumb. I just felt like there was so much going on that I didn't catch. That's sometimes what happens when you try reading "school" books out of school... I'd have loved to read with some guidance. I tried Mason & Dixon but couldn't get more than a few pages in before I thought it was just too much workfor pleasure reading. Read Moby Dick in high school and didn't like it much at the time. I'd probably like it more as an adult. But I could still do without all those chapters on cetology! Crime and Punishment is a great book and White Noise is definitely one of my favorites. It has one of the coolest endings of any book I can think of...And it's a book that's good on so many levels.

I just read White Noise and really enjoyed it. So intelligent.

One of that select group of books that I often consider rereading. One of the more memorable things about it for me was the way that the TV being on in the background seemed to comment on the scene...neat effect.

One of that select group of books that I often consider rereading. One of the more memorable things about it for me was the way that the TV being on in the background seemed to comment on the scene...neat effect.

And the whole running commentary on supermarkets and how we are defined by consumer culture. Brilliant. Can't wait to read his other stuff. Right now I'm on Ian McEwan's Saturday which so far is sublime.

And the whole running commentary on supermarkets and how we are defined by consumer culture. Brilliant. Can't wait to read his other stuff. Right now I'm on Ian McEwan's Saturday which so far is sublime.

I've only read Endzone, and even as a football fan, it was only okay. I have Libra, but since it was only like a buck, I'm not holding out much hope. I understand that Underworld is supposed to be really good.

I also really like Bret Easton Ellis. The obvious choice is American Psycho, which is brilliant, disturbing, and maybe even morally reprehensible. I both liked it and didn't. Had to force myself to read some of the truly disgusting stuff (in a similar vein is Poppy Z. Brite's Exquisite Corpse). But less obvious is the mind-bending and hilarious Glamorama. Good modern fiction.

Oh, and his buddy Donna Tartt wrote a hell of a novel in The Secret History. Highly recommended!

As much as it pains me to do this since it appears to be a discussion of interest and is flame/retardation free... I have to shut this down since it's not music related. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.