GENRE PANDEMONIUM: It Must End!

This genre shit has GOT to fucking stop already! Genres are basic outlets into the type of music that a band makes. There will never be a name of a genre that will fully incorporate the EXACT sound of a band. Why? People change, they change musical directions, people mature, and some develop new styles. All this "Atmospheric Hardcore Rap" genre mixing is fucking rediculous! Music is music! I feel that the only genres that matter are the basic ones which are the generalization of obvious musical differences.

DOOM, DEATH, BLACK, GRIND, POP, ROCK, TECHNO etc.. All the general genres are all that matters. Therefore, for example KATATONIA is DOOM, PERIOD! Although some of you would argue that KATATONIA has more than (or not any) doom and have evolved into much more, I agree. But we are not going to create another genre are we? There's already too many!

I hope that from now on when someone says "Diabolical Masquerade is black metal" someone else doesn't come rushing like an ANIMAL and say "NO IT'S NOT, it's melodic black metal", because what is it still? Black metal! You people who come rushing in like rhinos to make a "simple" correction, you sound more idiotic than intelligent-just so you know!

I know that many of you agree with what I have said so hopefully we shall see some changes here.

Thank you!
-Seth

Shogunautz said:
I feel that the only genres that matter are the basic ones which are the generalization of obvious musical differences.

DOOM, DEATH, BLACK, GRIND, POP, ROCK, TECHNO etc.. All the general genres are all that matters.

:lol:
have you even noticed you mention four extreme metal sub-genres and three completely different music styles that are at least two levels above doom, death, black and grind in any classification, one of which (rock) already holds metal as a sub-genre of its own?
so basically the only genres that matter are those you can recognize due to your personal interest in them: it's perfectly allowed to try and split the atom when it comes to multi-faceted extreme metal, but god forbid we call any sort of techno anything but techno.
please try to understand that what is an "obvious musical difference" for someone might mean absolutely jack shit to a lot of others, in much the same way as the subtle nuances and sub-divisions in pop music are sailing, happily unnoticed, a few miles over your head.

rahvin.

Shogunautz said:
@Rahvin That's true, but I hope you get my point.

yes, but my point is that definitions are just words, and words can help people who are interested to have a better understanding without long descriptions... it's easier to talk about a new band with you if i tell you, oh, i don't know, they're kinda symphonic power metal but with a melodic approach to it. otherwise i would have to describe to you what instruments they're using, how's the singing, the song structure, the distortion on guitars and so on.
clearly to a rapper that would be just as much incomprehensible banter: he wouldn't need sub-genres for metal (yet). much in the same way your typical metalhead could care less about electronic body music, sequential dark, electro-gothic, synth-pop, jungle and goa. still you yourself prove that these definitions are indeed useful when you feel the need to be very specific (comparatively speaking) when it comes to extreme metal, while leaving other genres to whatever fate might befall them. ;)
so my suggestion is: try to accept the oversimplifications, as they are not meant to deceive or trick the listener, just to form some reference guide for faster consulting. they often work, imo.

rahvin.

Shogunautz, is this your defense case to the results of the poll?:)

and..I certainly agree with rahvin.

OracleDeist said:
I cant beleive it a ten year disscussion on genres

Posted by Shogunautz - Yesterday at 08:47 AM

it's not ten years yet. :D

and another thing are you poeple saying that metal heads dont like techno?

statistically, i guess so. i'm not a metalhead anyway, so i couldn't say. i know i can tolerate club techno, but the electronics scene has much more to offer.

rahvin.

@FukinShit Defense case!? HELL NO! LOL! Your funny! Your still on that?

@OracleDesit (and everyone else) Hopefully this will be the final genre discussion to end them all!

@rahvin It is a shame that statistically metalheads don't like techno (I have heard the same).

You know what though, fuck statistics! I know a number of people that like techno as well as metal. I am an extreme metalhead and I also like my fare share of techno/trance/etc.. It's all about being open-minded and close-minded. People just like(dislike) what they like(dislike).

Oh well!

i like tehcno. i like genres. what i dont like is subsubsubgenres and argument on it.. e.g. for katatonia it would say metal and then i would describe the texts as sad, doomy and the mood is dark.
If you talk to someone who never listens to a kind of genre (e.g. black metal) then the word (black metal) will not mean anything but false preconceptions for him. You'd better explain it more. And if you talk to someone who knows that genre.. then you'd better say it's like This and That band but more somwhat.. And in most cases it's only about certain albums or about the current music of a band. you can continue the explanation with "formerly they played... but now.."

Hmm.."a genre discussion to end all genre discussions" its quite catchy. In order to escape the genre madness the thing to do is just listen to the music and put it in the "i like" or "i dont like" catagory.

Good idea Nurse. I think we should classify music as a "like" category. I like, dont, sorta, not quite, etc. That should solve all our problems. Or we could all just stop being so concerned and enjoy the damn music. Either way I dont mind because music is music and I listen to enjoy not to tear it apart.

I hate it when people try and disect bands to find out what genre they REALLY are or whatever..i mean, you can't tell if you like a band from knowing they're "super heavy dark melodic power black metal, with splashes of industrial massacre hear and there and a pinch of grindcore with blast beats" can you? Nothing is obvious...Just listen.

SWeeT_NuRSe said:
I hate it when people try and disect bands to find out what genre they REALLY are or whatever..i mean, you can't tell if you like a band from knowing they're "super heavy dark melodic power black metal, with splashes of industrial massacre hear and there and a pinch of grindcore with blast beats" can you? Nothing is obvious...Just listen.

and you can't tell if a band is power metal or black metal or synth-pop just by knowing thst "i like it" or "i don't like it".
see, that's kinda sorta the reason why there exist different words to mean different things...

rahvin.

I think that sometimes subgenres go too far, but many terms people refer to as genres are actually descriptions. Like melodic black metal, that's just a description tacked onto a genre tag, it's not a specific genre itself. The same with symphonic black metal, avant garde black metal, or industrial black metal.

Even if you do treat them as specific subgenres, it is worthwhile as different fans like different styles. A fan of Red Harvest might hate Dimmu Borgir and a fan of Anorexia Nervosa might hate Krieg, so we need some kind of boundaries just to give rough examples of whether the music fan might find something enjoyable in a particular band's sound or not before he/she wastes time and money. The internet helps things along tremendously, but if someone doesn't use P2P then they can only find out if they like a band if they purchase the album, and it is a shame to buy an album that you hate. In this way, genre tags help tremendously.

well.. protecting some main genres.. you know, food have names for some practical reason. you may think it's all about that you like this and not that, but when ordering in a restaurant you can't tell 'gimme what i like' ..cause you'll be fucked up.