Gimme some mid-paced black metal, you bastards!

NicodemiX said:
I miss LARM too, their reviews were good.
Yeah, a lot of them were good. Of course, a lot were crap, too. I just liked that it had tons of obscure album reviews. And if there was some black metal band that you were curious about, chances are they had a review for them.

Also, they were 1 of only 2 'zines (that I read) with an Arcane Sun review (positive of course), and that review convinced me to buy it. Respect.

Desaster needs to be added to my list. I just checked out their page on Metal Archives and as J. said, "Desaster just looks lke I would like 'em. Epic blackened thrash all about leather, beer and metuhl." Fuckin' A. I like how this thread went from mid-paced to Thrash Till Death. :tickled: My first thought upon entering this thread was Bergthron and like-minded Pagan Metal.

fotmbm said:
I've got one album of Gehenna and one of Thy Serpent and I wouldn't recommend either, especially not Thy Serpent. They fucking suck.
I don't like their older material at all, but Death MCD is really great, check that one out, seriously. Goes to this mid-paced thread too!

J. said:
One I've been curious about for a while. But some say they have a punkish sound, which scares me kinda.
Depends which release you get... TYONS has punkish leanings, though it's still a very well rounded album, where Domni Satnasi has much more black thrashing going on. There was an MP3 site for a while, but that seems to be down now. Let me know if you want to hear some tracks and I'll upload them onto my webspace.

Gehenna's "Seen Through The Veil Of Darkness: Second Spell" is the third best black metal album of all time, and you'd be MAD not to worship it. Imagine a medieval witch house, with weird cauldrons and boiling potions all over the place. It's like a romantic, melancholic, but SCARY AS FECK trip to an unknown place that you'd never want to leave.

Kampfar is a good viking/pagan metal band, with lots of interesting melodies and twists. I also second the recommendation of Kvist's "For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike" - tremendously good album. A pity that the Kvist guys went on to form an electronica act called Xploding Plastix - they should've released more Kvist records.

Decadent said:
Like I've said again and again, the Aussies do black-thrash the best. Gospel of the Horns are similar to D666, but have their own thing going too, and then there's Grenade, Razor of Occam, Urgrund, Denouncement Pyre, Spear of Longinus, Atomizer, Nocturnal Graves and Vomitor, all of whom would sound familiar to any D666 fan.
I can't but agree after this kind sir has introduced me to a few of those

I've looked into getting some Desaster. I'll let you know how t turns out. I've also looked into getting some early Gehenna and some Belenos.

Loits would fit in this mid-paced thing. Pretty good so far. I like the vocals.

And Destroyer 666's Unchain the Wolves rules supreme. Really good stuff there, though only mid-paced in parts.

Some FUCKING AWESOME mid-paced BM would be Leviathan's material off of the new Xasthur/Leviathan split. Its atmospheric, melodic, and just beautiful. If anyone wants it.. I can send a CD-R with the two songs ( about 19 minutes ) to them. I also have AIM (marksveld). This should be heard by people.

Yeah, I keep hearing about Leviathan. Cali BM, right?

ANyone else, besides Erik, ever pick up Obtest?

J. said:
Yeah, I keep hearing about Leviathan. Cali BM, right?

ANyone else, besides Erik, ever pick up Obtest?

California Black metal indeed. Good stuff. I'm going to the post tomorrow, want me to school you CD-R style?

Erik said:
I reckon Obtest is a TOTAL winner, it's way better than... most stuff... blah I'm tired.
Glad someone else recognizes their coolness. I think Ledo Takas is suppose to release their new one this year.