GMD Poll: Bathory's Discography Ranked

2) Hammerheart (1990)

R-3419960-1329790337.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.3/12

First place votes: 3 (@zabu of nΩd @Dak @CiG)

Bathory's Hammerheart is the first and most probably the best viking metal album ever.

i used to think hammerheart was overrated but i was appallingly wrong

Hammerheart is awful, as bad as any contemporary Greek Manowar clone.

Considering what your avatar photo is, you should be much more humble with the crap you excrete.

There is a certain magic on the "Hammerheart" album, which is unique to that album alone. Truly a magnificent album.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
1) Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987)

bathory-black-thrash-under-the-sign-of-the-black-mark.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.4/12

First place votes: 7 (@Krow @HadesRagnazrath @Master_Yoda77 @crimsonfloyd @Slayed Necros @zerostatic @Phylactery)

So I listened to Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark last night. As expected, although not my usual type of BM, I liked it a lot. Very evil sounding and I loved the solos.

crimsonfloyd said:
Bathory's third release is the first black metal album in the modern sense of the term. Everything about this record just seethes darkness and evil. Like its predecessors, Under the Sign of the Black Mark is rooted in ultra-dark, thrashing riffs; however, the songwriting involves theatrical and epic touches that push this record well beyond everything else that occurred in the first wave. These cuts depict dark tales of death and hell, each accentuated by vivid lyrics and an absolutely vile vocal performance. Quorthon delivers a full-throttle, shrill scream that sounds harsh enough to convince you that he vomited bits of his lungs onto the mic.

I would dedicate some time to listening to Under the Sign of the Black Mark. I honestly think it's THE album that perfects the style [of black metal].

Overall a really fun ranking. I'm pretty sure this is the closest 1st and 2nd place has ever been. If Under the Sign had been one spot lower on even one person's ranking, it would have fallen to second place.

Also, more than half of the albums got a first place vote, which I'm pretty sure is a first.

I find it bizarre that people treat Nordland II as if it's indistinguishable from Nordland I, or didn't even bother to rate it. Do people really hear little difference between them? I think part II has a much better collection of songs.

I don't think that's the case. Nordland I got two 1st place votes and two 3rd place votes. I don't think anyone ranked Nordland II higher than 4th. What killed Nordland I in the ranking is that it got three last place votes.

I guess I only have myself to blame for not submitting a list but it's mindboggling that the piece of piss that is Twilight of the Gods came in at #3.

Bathory is comfortably my #1.

Oof.

I don't think that's the case. Nordland I got two 1st place votes and two 3rd place votes. I don't think anyone ranked Nordland II higher than 4th. What killed Nordland I in the ranking is that it got three last place votes.

I don't mean that, I mean that on almost all lists Nordland II is below Nordland I (usually directly so) or it was simply omitted even though part I was included. Just curious why there's this opinion of it that implies (bolstered by Hades' comment about being shocked I placed it so far away from part I) it's basically indistinguishable from part I, if not slightly forgettable by comparison.

I don't mean that, I mean that on almost all lists Nordland II is below Nordland I (usually directly so) or it was simply omitted even though part I was included. Just curious why there's this opinion of it that implies (bolstered by Hades' comment about being shocked I placed it so far away from part I) it's basically indistinguishable from part I, if not slightly forgettable by comparison.

Well you do have to acknowledge that they have a fairly similar sound in style, production, songwriting etc., especially when you contrast them with how unique most of the early albums sound. They're by no means interchangeable, but it would make sense that most people would have fairly similar feelings about two fairly similar albums.

Well you do have to acknowledge that they have a fairly similar sound in style, production, songwriting etc., especially when you contrast them with how unique most of the early albums sound. They're by no means interchangeable, but it would make sense that most people would have fairly similar feelings about two fairly similar albums.

Yeah I agree, I'm more curious as to why part II seems to consistently be below part I, that's all. Mostly because in my opinion part II has the better songs.

So anyways are we actually doing Suffocation next?

Yeah I agree, I'm more curious as to why part II seems to consistently be below part I, that's all. Mostly because in my opinion part II has the better songs.

So anyways are we actually doing Suffocation next?

Ah I see. For me it comes down to I having more elite songs than II. There’s not a skippable song between the two albums though.

Yeah I'll get Suffocation's thread up today.

I assume it’s just because it’s viewed as a “sequel album” to the first and most people will pretty much pick the first always or never fuck with it at all if they didn’t like part 1.

I think it has a lot to do with the sequel thing myself, which in my opinion is a fucking retarded reason to rank it below part I but whatever.