1. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2. The Return
3. Blood Fire Death
4. Bathory
5. Twilight of the Gods
6. Hammerheart
7. Blood on Ice
8. Nordland 1

Under the Sign is amazing and one of my favourite black metal albums ever. I don't listen to the rest of these albums nearly as much tbh.

12) Octagon (1995)

R-614176-1354305898-6362.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 2/12

Octagon is the shit. Top notch t(h)rash.

The only Bathory album that isn't atleast decent is Octagon imo.

11) Destroyer of Worlds (2001)

902.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.2/12

I'm very glad he went back to the folk influenced sound. Destroyer of Worlds was a huge let down.

I have to agree with you about Destroyer Of Worlds. He couldn't have even destroyed a Third World country with that album, much less a whole world. The few 'epic' tracks on that album were the only thing that saved it from the shitcan.

Last edited:
10) Requiem (1994)

R-4342540-1362296229-4774.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.8/12

First place votes: 1 (@HamburgerBoy)
Requiem? Really? Aside from the Nordland albums and Blood on Ice, there is no reason to listen to any Bathory after Twilight of the Gods.

Frig off Randy! Requiem rules.

Requiem is actually pretty decent thrash. Much better than the first two shitfests or Hammerheart.

God damn HamburgerBoy, I really do fucking hate your pathetic existence. Go touch another dude's package and leave the manly Bathory to non-faggots.

9) Nordland II (2003)

448172.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.7/12

I personally think it is better but to my dismay, there is really no acoustic stuff on it. It's very heavy and extremely catchy. Quorthon has thrown up his middle finger to anyone who said Bathory was dead after Destroyer Of Worlds. The packaging kinda sucks, though. Same picture throughout which to me is kinda lazy. Bottom line: The music speaks loudly enough for it and it's well worth the money spent on it.

Reactions: CiG
7) Blood on Ice (1996)

R-5211091-1387652581-3448.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.3/12

I think that Blood on Ice is pretty overlooked. It's a bit different from the other Viking albums.

if BLOOD ON ICE had been released when it was first written/recorded (before HAMMERHEART) it'd be considered seminal.

Does anyone else love Bathory but get slightly annoyed by the sound effects sometimes? I thought some on Blood On Ice were pretty cheesy, especially One Eyed Old Man where that guy talks for like 5 years.

Thats the problem I have with that album and I don't listen to it much becauses of that. Otherwise I would.

If I had to choose one of the post-Blood Fire Death albums, Blood on Ice is better than Hammerheart in basically every facet.

6) The Return... (1985)

81cd2slePhL._SS500_.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.5/12

Bathory-

The Return is so extreme for the time it's mindblowing. I bet when it was released people pissed their pants.

From Bathory, definitely get The Return. Metal doesn't get much more better than that. Unless you're one of those people who prefer glossy production over actual content.

5) Bathory (1984)

BATHORY-Bathory.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.6/12

First place votes: 1 (@TechnicalBarbarity)

The self-titled Bathory release is my personal favorite.

"I devastate your soul and lacerate your mind In sin I sanctify my sword to crush your spine I'm the Reaper!"

Basically Venom influenced the first few Bathory albums, but the first Bathory record makes all Venom obsolete.

4) Blood Fire Death (1988)

R-1606860-1231774635.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.8/12

First place votes: 1 (@Anom@nder Rake)

Blood Fire Death! Though they are all great, Blood Fire Death is consistently righteous throughout. In my opinion, there are a few black metal albums as good as Blood Fire Death but none better.

Blood Fire Death is decidedly mediocre, and pales in comparison to the masterpiece that is Hammerheart. I bet if Opeth recorder BFD you'd all hate it.

Come on now, it has a pile of great thrash riffs, great emotion, speed, and the 2 slower songs are fucking epic!

If Opeth created BFD, then I'd start listening to Opeth.

I find it bizarre that people treat Nordland II as if it's indistinguishable from Nordland I, or didn't even bother to rate it. Do people really hear little difference between them? I think part II has a much better collection of songs.

3) Twilight of the Gods (1991)

61s9aRDRHcL._SS500_.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.9/12

First place votes: 1 (@J.)

Twilight of the Gods is Bathory's most realized album, and is what he set out to do with the viking theme.

Twilight of the Gods goes beyond epic; to me, it's spiritual. This is the music I would imagine listening to if I were in some higher, more godly realm of existence which happened to be accompanied by music. Now, the album is a little rough around the edges, but of true passion and conviction it speaks volumes.

Twilight of the Gods is a terrible album man! The title track is the only one with anything going for it whatsoever. The drum sound on that album is worse than basically anything ever.