GMD Vote: Next Band Discographies to Rank

If you're counting EP's than Expurse of Sodomy should definitely be on there.

Also a heads up, The Final Sign of Evil is a rerecorded compilation of older tracks. Shouldn't be counted imo

This album is what ''In The Sign of Evil'' was originally intended to have been in 1984. It contains re-recorded songs from the first EP, ''In The Sign of Evil'' and seven never-before-heard tracks, all of which were originally written for ''In The Sign of Evil'', but were never released because of the label.

It’s mostly new tracks.

I bet you haven't heard Roorback yet.
I've given everything from Against to Dante XXI a good listen. Whilst I can't seriously say that any of the band's output during that phase is particularly good metal (some people would argue it isn't metal at all), I still prefer it to Roots.

Seeing Sepultura opening for Testament was certainly the most boring performance I've seen/heard, putting aside the hot sweaty body of their younger beefcake drummer. Roots Bloody Roots was the literal highlight of the whole thing.

I maintain that they should have changed the name of the band after Igor left.

It’s mostly new tracks.
Its still pretty much a compilation of old stuff that's been re-recorded with some bonus tracks thrown in. If were counting compilation albums then sure. We should also go ahead and count their first two demos if were counting EP's and comps.

I maintain that they should have changed the name of the band after Igor left.
incorrect. They should have changed the name after Max left.

incorrect. They should have changed the name after Max left.
It's a tough one, but Sepultura was formed by the Cavalera brothers. Since at least one Cavalera was still in the band up until 2005 or so they still had every right to call themselves Sepultura imo.

"every right"? They still "have the right" to call themselves Seputlura if that's the case. I'm talking about what we as fans think. And everyone who was/is a huge fan of their fist 5-6 albums thinks that's where the band truly ended. Doesn't matter which brother stayed or which went. Sepultura pretty much ended with Roots, not any of the lame groove metal albums you're talking about.

i plan to participate in this, and potentially wouldn't bother if those two EPs were excluded, so yes please
giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
Were you at the Seps riot out the front of Festival Hall in 94 or 95?
No, but I'd love to hear about it. Apparently someone got stabbed to death in the moshpit at a Seps show on the Arise tour. They seem to attract a lively bunch to their shows!

I can't remember the year off the top of my head but it was about 94/95, touring Chaos AD, they were booked Festival Hall which back then was a shitty part of town and had been since the 60's and 70's when it was the only place in town that was allowed to put on weekly wrestling events. The crowd started queuing about 2-3pm rumour was it was going to be a sell out and because there was a general admin floor people obviously wanted first in (turns out even then they couldn't outsell Megadave on the RIP tour so it wasn't an sell out). Fans with tickets and fans hoping to buy tickets some how clashed and the fight spilled onto the road, no one knew who the fuck was fighting who but people just piled into the fight. By the time the cops had arrived two parked cars had been over turned, there was people bloody and wounded all over the place and something like twenty ambos were on route and traffic was at a stand still.

It really was a fucking joke and it was a scar on the Melb metal scene which really was trying to work it's way out of dingy shit pits like Festival Hall and into larger venues like the Glasshouse/Vodafone. At the time I didn't give a crap and admit to laughing as we watched it all take hold from inside with the band and the crew, but these days I look at it and think what sort of a stupid fucking waste it really was. Melbourne City Council nearly closed down Festival Hall because of that riot (it was already costing too much to maintain they were just looking for an excuse) and promoters became very hesitant to book metal bands and put them in venues other than shit holes like The Palace or in the 'burbs.

Reactions: Bloopy
Wow, that's crazy. Surprised I never heard about that. Funny thing is, when I eventually saw Sepultura a few years ago, I'm pretty sure it was at Festival Hall.

Festival Hall didn't shut down (it might have now with the works around Spencer St) but it was always threatened. The building was a shitty little hole that probably should have been pulled down in the 70's after one too many Mario Milano slams cracked the foundations. I believe it remained open into the 00's at least because I'm pretty sure my cousin has wrestled there as part of a nostalgia thing. Bands like Maiden, Motorhead and the like started to sell out bigger halls like Vodafone and never went back to Festival Hall. Bands like Morbid Angel, Fight etc played the Palace. But the difference between the Palace and a place like Vodafone is something like 1000 people to 10,000 people so Festival Hall remained for bands that either had room for multiple shows or would sell better than night club tickets. These days bands like Overkill, Seps and the like are put in 2000(ish) capacity night clubs either in the city or 'burbs or they are big bands that can sell out a bigger room. Of course outdoor festivals were a big in this country for a while but then that cunt AJ fucked things up with his rather unfair method of running Soundwave but not paying any of the bands.

The night they called Seps a sell out and caused the riot they sold around 3500 tickets. When Megadave toured RIP there was 4800 people in Festival Hall, the joint was packed they even dragged a guy out of the pit half way through Megadeth's set in a fucking wheelchair.

Reactions: jimmy101