good and cheap pair of headphones ... advice needed!

Haha, tons of conflicting opinions in this thread...

I want to pick up a pair of headphones soon too. From everything I've read, the Sennheiser HD 280s seem like they'd be the best option for tracking, which is really what headphones are best used for anyways. Everybody says they have good isolation, crisp highs (singers like this), and not a lot of bass... seems perfect for tracking.

I'm interested in the AKG K240s and Audio-Technica ATH-M50s too though...

silly lasse

240's don't die!

Hehe, I hope so ;)

I've got the old model without the quick-connectot/plug thingy on them, so the cable is soldered directly to the can...had to replce it twice, hopw it'll survive the 3rd and fourth time.

afaik there were many revisions of the 240 and many versions (different Ω etc), dunno how different they sound though

:tickled:
silly lasse

240's don't die!

Bullshit!

I had a original pair from Nashville (had a ribbed cable) and I used for about a year until they died. I tried to solder them and spent hours trying to save my baby's!! No luck the speaker had gone on the left side and I even pulled it out and ran some test and it was fried. Anywho.....Next day i bought a brand new pair!

I own like 8 diffrent types of headphones but there are by far the flatest and most true headphones I own. If these break im buying 2 more pair, one for backup. K240's are my secert weapon ;)

But what are you guys using them for though? just checking your mixes on another source? wouldn't the HD-280s be a better choice for tracking?

AKG 240 or the AKG 271 are good for tracking, with the AKG 271 being softer in the midrange. I really like my old 240's although they are a pair from the mid '80s and they sound better than the newer version we have at the studio. ATH-M50s have alot of bottom end happening so they may not be the best for tracking in some instances but are good reference phones for checking mixes. Although some singers I track prefer the ATH-M50s.

I'll probably get shit for this, but I've tracked alot of people through a pair of $20 closed back radio shack phones I had to get in a pinch.. I still have them and I still use them..

I wouldn't really want to check a mix on them, but yeh.. they don't suck horribly for some odd reason..

-P

so, i went to the musicshop yesterday and tested some of the headphones you recommended me (not all were there to test although):
the sennheiser hd 25 sounds really good and isolates good, but is quite uncomfortable.
the ath 50 was pretty uncomfortable (to me at least).
the akg's i tried were all fine (240 and 271) and great to wear on your head! i now have a borrowed beyerdynamic dt 770, which sounds great so far.
will look for a hd 280 the next days.
:)

Sennheiser HD 202. I actually use them to complement my Yahama hs80 well. You hear very clearly if your mix is to strong around 250-350hz on these headphones which where the Yamaha's have a dip.
'

I find this really funny because I do the same myself (same headphone and same monitor).:D