How is Slipknot not metal?

Am I the only one that never hears any rap influences in Slipknots music? Ok, sometimes Taylor's vocal lines have kind of a rap feel them, but then again, so do a lot of Chris Barnes' vocals(Feasting on the Blood of the Insane, anyone?). But aside from that, they never use any hip-hop beats or anything like that, and the DJ scratching is, at least to my ears, almost non-existant.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Takk for det! Hater de nazi-jævlene, de er verre enn pesten og setter terskelen enda lavere for "rasisme". Dama ville sikkert vært ok hvis hun hadde tatt av seg gassmaska :D Hvor bor du?

Kr.sand...du ?

- Why the sky ain't green?

- Why oranges are not apples? They also grow on the trees and can be eaten. Well, because the oranges ARE NOT apples. They just aren't.

- Does screaming, claiming to be a "satan follower", and creating some noise with the guitar makes it "metal"? The answer, of course, is,: NO. The concept of the "whole": "Whole" is much more than the sum of its disjoint parts.

- Why "Slipknot" is not metal? Because rap music has nothing to do with metal, OK?

"They have a DJ and 4 drummer, that's not Black,Death,Folk,Thrash,Industrial,Goth,Power,Prog
ressive,Speed,or eaven Harcore or those i forgott, their nu-metal."

So what if a band has a DJ. That does NOT make them automatically nu-metal or rapcore what many think. The Berserker is a death metal and they have a DJ so does that make them nu-metal?

"Why "Slipknot" is not metal? Because rap music has nothing to do with metal, OK?"

First of all Slipknot might not be too technical but they're still heavy metal and they only have a few rapping in their songs. Some say they're rapcore but they're NOT. I like some of their music a lot but I know they use dumb gimmicks and have some rather lame lyrics with the exception of some songs. Their drummer can do blast beats and I always did liked thier vocalist.

Some nu-metal bands like Slipknot and Mudvayne can be defined as heavy metal but that's definately not the case for bands like Trust Company, Linkin Park and Crazy Town (Man, do they suck dick). Those bands are more like really poppy rap rock. :puke: I like some nu-metal you know but most of them get boring fast and they cant compare to a lot of death/thrash metal.

Oh yeah, and I can't believe it when some underground elitists say shit like "Slayer is not metal." Some of them think to be a metal band or a "tr00" metal band you have to be some underground death/grindcore/black metal band.

Kr.sand...du ?
Trondheim
Why "Slipknot" is not metal? Because rap music has nothing to do with metal, OK?
Who says it hasn`t? Either way, I can hear next to none rap influences in Slipknots music, unless you mean every band with a DJ is a rapcore band, which of course, is fallacious. Personally, I think rap-style vocals(e.g. fast talking, rhythmic accents)can be cool in metal sometimes, like in Pain of Salvation.
Slipknot is rap metal, they suck, they are not metal....
Again: Who says rap has nothing to do with metal? That would be like saying classical music has nothing to do with metal. Again: I can hear next to none rap influences in Slipknot, unless you consider every band with a DJ a rapcore band.

I guess you're right Dodens Grav, as this will probably not have a conclusion.
I don't really have anything to add, but I think the point that said that people didn't like them and they got shown in the mainstream makes them say they're not metal is pretty true! At least that's my impression of why people say they're not metal.
Just like that guy that started posting here and all fags are scum and so on. His last words on another forum was something like "I swear on my grave that Manowar is no metal!! It's people having sex with guitars & basses!!" - I don't think I even have to comment on that, it speaks for itself!

I think Slipknot gets talked about more than any other band combined in this forum, that's hilarious. That singer / clown guy is a media genius, everything he says contradicts himself and gets everyone all riled up. Bad press is better than good press, because fans and non-fans both pay attention.

I don't like them, but I would consider them some form of metal I guess.