How many of you consider Opeth a doom metal band?

There's definitely a doomish influence in some of their tunes (i.e. Dirge For November, A Fair Judgement etc.) and it's especially true with the Grand Conjuration song. However, Opeth isn't doomy enough to be labeled as a doom metal band IMO.

Way, way too fast to be called Doom. Bands like Novembers Doom, Saturnus,Anathema (old), Draconian or Rapture arent even called Doom in the doom-community, but Death/Doom or Goth/Doom.

Doom-metal is slooooooow. So, no! Dark-metal would be a better name. :p

Didn't before, but if the new album sounds consistently like the Grand Conjuring I'd say YES - they are for this album. The keyboards could get a little annoying if they over-do it. I doubt they will, but nothing would surprise me at this stage.

NineFeetUnderground said:
not all doom is slow. get your facts straight.

go listen to candlemass, solitude aeturnus, saint vitus, and trouble...and then tell me all doom is "slooooooow".

:Smug:

You are right, but those are traditional oldschool doom-bands with lots of rock&roll influense, and even if they play faster songs they also have more slower songs. I guess this can be debatted forever since the doom-genre is pretty wide and has many sub-genres, though most of them are pretty slow. (death/doom, funeral, drone etc)

And I didnt say "all doom is slow". I meant in genral.