How many of you consider Opeth a doom metal band?

deliverance said:
...symphonic? are you deaf opeth 353?

No.. The songs could be described as symphonies seeing as they are long songs with movements of sorts, switching between distorted dissonance to melodic acoustic passages etc. They're symphonic in the structure of their songs, which are similar in that they have long songs with 'movements' of contrasting styles of playing,texture and timbre etc.. Of course they aren't what typically come to mind when you hear the mention of symphonies, but they do have certain characteristics that relate to them.

opeth_353 said:
No.. The songs could be described as symphonies seeing as they are long songs with movements of sorts, switching between distorted dissonance to melodic acoustic passages etc. They're symphonic in the structure of their songs, which are similar in that they have long songs with 'movements' of contrasting styles of playing,texture and timbre etc.. Of course they aren't what typically come to mind when you hear the mention of symphonies, but they do have certain characteristics that relate to them.
Calling Opeth songs symphonies would be insulting classical music

there is too much discussion over what they are, i say they are opeth metal, and i leave it at that, why does it really matter, if someone asks, just say "they are opeth."

haha it's a pretty retarded "original thought" too. i mean, yeah opeth is awesome, but if someone wants to know what they sound like, you don't fuckin say "they sound like opeth! lololOLl hahaa!" i'd say they are best described as progressive death metal.

affinityband said:
How many doom bands have you heard that sound like opeth? infact how many bands have you heard that sound like opeth? they are in a league of their own.

i don't know if this reply was directed at me, but..even if no other bands sound like opeth, telling someone that "opeth is in a league of their own, they just sound like opeth! lolz" tells them jack shit.

death metal riffs... death metal growls.. over art rock structures and what not..

Progressive Death Metal.. duh..

some here may not think its that extreme but for the average listener.. they wouldnt be able to handle it... i think what happends is that the softer parts of opeth overshadow the extreme parts so alot of people just htink of those parts.. luckily the new song the extreme parts overshadow the soft parts...

Post_Scriptum said:
Calling Opeth songs symphonies would be insulting classical music

As i said before, you could probably describe them as Symphonic but i think progressive suits them more. I wouldn't say it's insulting, tbh Opeth songs have much better structure and flow in them than most of the classical and orchestral pieces or symphonies i've heard.. not all however. Symphonic gives the wrong connotations to a majority of people too, ebcause many seem to think that it means you have to have Orchestras etc.. like Dimmu Borgir. So Progressive is a more fitting and also less confusing term.

Looking for a Job said:
haha my thoughts exactly.

Although i agree with the fact Opeth are unlike most bands out there.. you can't just say "ooh.. they're opeth metal" .. if the person's never heard them that's gonna mean fuck all to them.. You have to draw likenesses from other genres or bands.. that's the whole point., so people can get a basic idea of what they're to expect. Say something "they're easiest to generalise as progressive (death) metal, but they aren't strictly that" or words to that effect

Yeah, they are unique. I just thought it would be funny to say that. Cuz they really are unique and that's what's so cool about them.....

opeth_353 said:
haha my thoughts exactly.

Although i agree with the fact Opeth are unlike most bands out there.. you can't just say "ooh.. they're opeth metal" .. if the person's never heard them that's gonna mean fuck all to them.. You have to draw likenesses from other genres or bands.. that's the whole point., so people can get a basic idea of what they're to expect. Say something "they're easiest to generalise as progressive (death) metal, but they aren't strictly that" or words to that effect