I need a good Lefty beginner Axe

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Folks;

I have been fooling around with learning how to play the axe. Problem is, I am a lefty, and I am having a bitch of a time finding a good lefty starting guitar. Any advice?

Peace,
Ray C.

my advice is don't bother learning to play a left-handed guitar. if you're aspiring to be a lead player more than a rhythm player, it may help you to have your dominant hand on the fretboard, rather than holding the pick. it also keeps you from limiting yourself to what's available in left-handed models.

besides, i think guitars and basses are the only instruments that come in a left-handed design (well, other than drummers who set up their drums backwards).

i really think you'll be happier in the long run if you learn righty.

btw, Mattias 'IA' Eklundh is a lefty who plays righty, and i wouldn't say he's got any trouble....he even said in one of his clinics that he thinks of guitars played the normal way as "left-handed" for the reason i mentioned above.

that said, i'm primarily a rhythm player, and i love having the pick in my dominant hand.

I'm pretty sure Ibanez has some lefty models, and they may be the most abundant, amongst the guitar manufacturers. What WoM says rings true, and if you're just starting out, I'd try really hard to see if you can learn to play right handed...

to echo everyone else....if you are just starting, just buy a right handed guitar and learn that way. I've had students and I've known a lot of lefties who've learned to play right-handed. It's not going to make the slightest difference which way you play if you are just starting (other than in your head maybe), but the biggest advantage you'll have just playing right handed is that your choice of guitars will be a lot bigger. Especially if you stick with it start buying upper-end axes down the road.