Ladies Topic

@C: That's so cool, to hear what your sister's friends did for her. There are always good people in the world, no matter how hard it may be to believe that. :D

@logchick: Heh, sometimes I go up to four months without trimming my hair, which is quite bad. :/ This time it was around three months, but it feels so much better now.
I found the anti-split ends hair moisturiser - I bought it in Just Cuts which is a hair salon chain here in Australia and the brand name is "Edgy". So yeah, I don't think it's available elsewhere. Heck, we don't even have a Just Cuts in my town anymore.
I found the Schwarzkopf leave-in hair treatment I used to buy, but this time when buying new products, I went with their Extra Care Liquid Silk range. It seems to be working nicely at the moment and it's quite affordable too.

I've been wishing I could cut my hair into a bob though, but I simply don't have the bone structure for it. :(

I've been wishing I could cut my hair into a bob though, but I simply don't have the bone structure for it. :(

Oh I definitely know what you mean by bone structure!
I would kill for natural modelesque cheek bones!
That's why I rarely put my hair up, cause I don't have the face for Up-do's, or any sort of hair style like a bob.

What annoys me most about my face is my jaw. It's not a very nicely defined jaw and I think it's especially ugly on a profile angle. That's why longer hair distracts from it or hides it to an extent, but I get sick of longer hair. If only I could change my jaw, I think I could pull off shorter styles, but I can't so…tough luck to me. XD

I also have problems with my jaw. I especially believe that the bone is covered in a thick layer of fat (which is not true because I am not obese or anything, this is just a perfect misconception about myself!). If I pull the skin on my jaw tight, I get a jaw I am happy with. This may be, however, a matter of training the muscles in my jaw, because muscles always look better defined than fat and skin :rofl:

I think that long straight hair looks nice with a round face. I have a prominent jaw too, all I need is a broom and I'm off to where the witches go on Easter. It looks quite funny when I get a pimple there, which happens (especially to a chocoholic like me...) now and then.

How would you train the muscles in your jaw? o_O

Also, I'm not sure if any training would help me anyway because I don't have a very prominent jaw. XD At least my teeth are improving with braces, but hopefully that won't leave any really bad side effects. XD

I would worry too much about TMJ to try to exercise my jaw too much, if there are jaw exercises.
worried.gif

I had treatment for mild-ish TMJ dysfunction and there are exercises for that issue specifically. Before the treatment my face, especially the jaw area was a little lopsided and the exercises and everything actually helped get things back into place. :D

I was shocked to read that you can file down your jaw. No matter how prominent my jaw is, I would never undergo that kind of treatment. My jaw will stay, the same for my acne scars. Laser cost way too much. I can't even imagine how many movies I could buy for € 3000! Are you also wondering why so many beautifu women go fo plastic surgery and the whole botox, fillers thing? I don't want to see another movie star that has ruined his/her looks by having work done.

Botox scares the shit out of me. I may be vain and sure, I want to look good when I am older, but I don't think I could ever alter my appearance to such an extent. I'd rather take care of my skin now and live healthily to see an improvement in my looks. The fact that botox or any other injections/fillers are becoming so common is quite a disturbing though because I don't think many women think through the consequences these things can have. For one, I'd hate to always look like my face is frozen in shock with a trout pout. For another, these procedures always carry an element of risk, as does all cosmetic/plastic surgery, so even if the chances of something going wrong are slim, there is still a chance. And there is still a chance that may happen to me if I choose to ever go through with such procedures. If anything should happen you can damage your looks permanently and the cost of fixing things doubles or even triples.

I am annoyed by actresses that choose to get botox and whose faces are obviously frozen. You're an actress for fuck's sake, don't be afraid of a few lines that actually show emotions on your face! It's part of your job!

And there is nothing more persona than a few wrinkles. I was shocked to see what Emily Procter has done to herself. When CSI:Miami started out I thought that it was great that she didn't feel she had to be too skinny, that the bump on her nose was very personal etc. Well the bumb was filed down, some type of filler was injected in her lips and now her whole face looks bloated and strange. So much for personality.

@Mooki: it's a common myth that Botox "freezes your face." Actually, Botox doesn't...botched Botox does. If a Botox job is botched, that's when your face is "frozen." Yes, Botox in any circumstance stiffens the muscles in your face which smooths out expression lines, but only an inexperienced or an incompetent surgeon would inject so much of it as to make your face expressionless. The other way that it can freeze your face is if you ignore the warnings (Botox injections should really only be used once a year or so), and get Botox several times within about 12 months, which a lot of actresses do, because they can afford to and are paranoid about their appearance. Over time, using Botox to excess can freeze your face permanently.

I'm not "standing up for" Botox, because I've never had it and I don't think I ever intend to. But I've heard that myth so many times, I like to clear it up. With Botox, you should not actually be able to tell that it's Botox...if you know what I mean. You will see a difference, of course, it's undoubtedly the most effective way to get rid of wrinkles. But you shouldn't be able to look at the person and think, "Wow, Botox." It should look natural, is what I mean. That's the ultimate goal of a plastic surgeon. Unfortunately a lot of people go to foreign plastic surgeons that don't have the same credentials as highly respected surgeons...or even foreign plastic surgeons that aren't surgeons at all, they're just people trying to make money, which is a super scary thought. That's why it's always so important to do a back check on any surgeon. Are they recognized by any Boards, do they really have their education and not just a diploma off the internet, etc.

EDIT: The thing about risk is, there is a risk with ANY medical procedure, not just cosmetic ones. I had to have maxillofacial surgery (jaw surgery) for a deficient upper jaw when I was 15. It was messing up the profile of my face, and it would have gotten worse as I grew older, so I had it done. It wasn't a cosmetic surgery, but it was optional - I could have lived without it, but the problem would have persisted and then, by the time I was, oh, maybe 30, my jaw would have protruded in a way that would have probably forced me to have it. So it was necessary, but optional. Anyway, the risk it carried was blindness, in the worst-case scenario. The risk was about 1 in a million, but it was present. It's a very safe procedure and I never had any complications, my surgery went perfectly according to my surgeon (but then, I knew he was a credible surgeon). I'm fine today, my jaw looks good and has never been an issue, but the risk did scare me even with how unlikely it was. You can't just not do things because of risk.

I'm glad, knock on wood, that I've never had to go under the knife. I understand that if there's something that's bothering you and you can afford it, that you want it fixed, but I guess I'd be too scared to do it, in case it came out even worse than it was to begin with. Scary thought.

@crimrose: So almost every actress/Hollywood celebrity who has had Botox has had botched Botox, because to me, the majority of these stars look like they have fake, platstic skin and unmovable features? :lol:
Botox fails to look natural to me, if a 40/50-something year old woman uses it (or whatever other product/procedure may be used) and has a line free face because honestly, how many women of that age are line-free anyway?
On the topic of going to cheap foreign "surgeons"…yeah, I know about that. This might sound harsh, but honestly, I do not feel bad for women who do these things and then experience negative consequences of doing said procedure. It's called common-fucking-sense. I mean just take some time to think about it: why would decent surgeons be advertising their services with a free holiday, in cheap brochures or on weird web sites? If it's so trust-worthy, why don't we offer patients needing heart surgery a free, cheap holiday with their triple bypass at a discounted price? Two for the price of one, yay! It just does not make sense to me why people would think this is a better choice rather than saving up more money and going to trusted surgeons.

You can't just not do things because of risk.

You can if it is completely unnecessary. Your surgery may not have been mandatory, as my TMJ treatment was not and as my braces were not, but if you did not do something earlier, then, as you say, the problem would become more noticable and even cause further physical problems. In that case the surgery, though optional is sort of "necessary" in terms of preventing further complications that mess with the quality of your life and all the messy feelings that come when you feel shit about yourself due to said increased problems. Even if the surgery was not necessary when you were 15, the logical option was to fix the problem before it became so bad that you had no choice but to undergo surgery and that makes sense. Despite the risks, it is better to do things sooner rather than cause yourself further issues over the years. Prevention rather than cure, you know? I've done such things too, as I said above.

But going for cosmetic/plastic surgery out of complete vanity is something that can be completey avoided, imo because I feel the issues that need to be fixed are not physical, but psychological. I dislike my body and sure, I could save money and go get a boob job and maybe give myself new cheekbones and lip fillers etc. I'll probably feel happy with myself in a shallow manner for a while, but those feelings of low self-esteem and unworthiness and "I'm so fucking ugly" will eventually rear their ugly head because I think, such issues cannot simply be fixed with surgery. Surgery fixes the cracks superficially, but they come back and then you fix them superficially again and again, but you're not really getting to the core of your problems.

I hope that makes sense and I don't want it to seem like I am attacking you, in actual fact, I agree with the last point you brought up, but I'm just trying to uh…show why undergoing the risk of surgery is not always worth it because there are things no amount of surgery fixes, no matter what our mind may try to tell us.

I understand that if there's something that's bothering you and you can afford it, that you want it fixed, but I guess I'd be too scared to do it, in case it came out even worse than it was to begin with. Scary thought.

Yes, exactly! That's my worry too. We've seen a lot of those actors who have had "plastic surgery gone wrong", and they all would have been better off if they'd just kept things as they were!

Personally I love crow's feet, because they look so 'personal' and I don't understand this general attitude that wrinkles are ugly. I tried find a normal mosturizer the other day and everything I found was anti-wrinkle this and anti-wrinkle that. Like it's a fricking sin to have wrinkles. At 37, soon 38, I have a right to have wrinkles. If that bothers someone, then so be it. I saw this one program on plastic surger and this one guy said about those who get too much plastic surgery; they don't look younger, they just look like they've had a lot of work done.
This doesn't mean that I judge someone who's had work done. It's basically their business. But I can't see myself putting that kind of money on something that I don't even know will turn out great.