Legendary Norwegian bands

Which of these deserves your deepest respect?

• Mayhem

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Darkthrone

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Satyricon

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Immortal

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Ulver

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Morgana
I have to Storm album, but somehow it does not hit me...

today Storm does not hit me too, but in 1995 they killed me:p today i prefer Moonsorrow:D

I love Immortal just for the simple fact that they love snow lol.
but...where the hell is EMPEROR?? The band that I give most respect for isnt even there. COME ON how do you have murderers and church burners as your band members and still continue making great albums!! definitly Emperor.... but out of THAT list I pick Immortal.

Tommy "Chaos Ignitor"

I voted Mayhem because I love basically everything they've released and saw them live when they played in Melbourne. It was a truly amazing experience... I've never seen anything like it. They're professionalism was unparalleled and the intensity was extraordinary.

Speaking of Storm, I saw their album in a story recently and when I get the cash I'm definitely picking it up.

Originally posted by Melancholia
cheers Ulver fans!!! :D

I would say that Burzum is (probably) more legendary than Immortal due to Varg's naughty deeds ;)

:lol: Well youre right about that...

My choise was between Ulver and Darkthrone...
Allthough Im not sure why...I went with Darkthrone...

well I did vote without the least hesitation, even if yes some more bands are worth to be mentioned in this poll ... Thorns, Emperor, Tulus, Gorgoroth .... not to mention Burzum,

Ulver invented themselves quite a few times but didn't bring that much new into any genre. Excellent band though.

Satyricon is mostly just pure crap.

Immortal are good but that's about it.

Mayhem created the whole norwegian black metal thingie but sadly Dead killed himself before De Mysteeris Dom Sathanas was recorded and Attila's vocals are much worse than his. The newer Mayhem is crap again.

Darkthrone on the other hand. First off started as excellent death metal, then revolutionized norwegian black metal with A Blaze in the Northern Sky and then re-revolutionized it (and created a whole new genre which sadly mostly sucks) with Transilvanian Hunger.

So Darkthrone is the winner.

i feel that emperor are the best norwegian band ever (actually best band in the world) because they took black metal and evolved it into their own majestic beautiful music. OUt of those you listed i choose immortal because they have been playing old school black metal since it began and are still producing great old school black metal realeases to this day.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Emperor
i feel that emperor are the best norwegian band ever (actually best band in the world) because they took black metal and evolved it into their own majestic beautiful music. OUt of those you listed i choose immortal because they have been playing old school black metal since it began and are still producing great old school black metal realeases to this day.

Wow! What an ignorant statement!

how is my opinion ignorant well maybe i shouldnt of said best band in the world if you want reasons why i havnt chose the others il give you them. Mayhem- although they started the whole black metal thing which i respect them for i just cant satnd their music and i feel they are overated. Satyricon - i feel they softened up with their later releases. Darkthrone - i do liek darkthrone alot but end of the day i prefer immortal over darkthrone abd ulver i havnt heard anything by

Originally posted by Nocturnal Emperor
how is my opinion ignorant well maybe i shouldnt of said best band in the world if you want reasons why i havnt chose the others il give you them. Mayhem- although they started the whole black metal thing which i respect them for i just cant satnd their music and i feel they are overated. Satyricon - i feel they softened up with their later releases. Darkthrone - i do liek darkthrone alot but end of the day i prefer immortal over darkthrone abd ulver i havnt heard anything by

Okay, let's examine your statement.

i feel that emperor are the best norwegian band ever (actually best band in the world) because they took black metal and evolved it into their own majestic beautiful music.

I'm not really sure what you meant by this. If you meant that Emperor themselves evolved, then it might be correct (though I do think that they had serious problems with going overboard with all the complex keyboard and guitar lines). But if you mean that they evolved black metal, there you are horribly wrong. They didn't evolve it, they themselves evolved out of the genre rather quickly just like they had entered it rather suddenly.

Out of those you listed i choose immortal because they have been playing old school black metal since it began and are still producing great old school black metal realeases to this day.

Immortal and old-school black metal?! Perhaps the first two releases but after that they've definitely changed. From ATHOW forwards they've been much more into thrash than into old school metal though Sons of Northern Darkness seems to be leaving the thrashiness behind too. Battles in the North is some sort of grindcoreish blasting and Blizzard Beasts a mixture of Battles in the North and their new style.

such a poll without Burzum is a joke

Indeed.