My thoughts on Neverworld

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
First off, we (metalreviews.com) or should I say Marty, gave Neverworld a 90+ and an album of the month award and we were then called uber gay Power Metal pussies and all that.

I've been following Power Quest for a while now and here's my thoughts on you guys in a nutshell. Wings of Forever was pretty damn good I thought, there were many similarities to Dragonforce in terms of choruses and structure, esp Beyond the Stars, where the outro sounds like a dead ringer to Black Winter Night but hey, Steve and Sam were / are in Dragonforce and ZP also sang on the demo that preceded the album so hey, similarities are bound to arise. My personal favorite on Wings though was Far Away, esp the chorus, the way it flows is just musical heaven to me. I was hoping that the hard rock elements that I heard in that song would be expanded upon in the future.

Well today I recieved Neverworld and I'll be damned, if this isnt a good album then I don't know what is. I think alot of the flak we got on our forums was due to the fact that some people thought that we believed this is a world changing album. You know what? I dont think Neverworld is a world shaking record but dammit, ITS FUN!!! I mean I havent had this much FUN with an album in a long long time! It's so obvious that alot of good times were captured on tape and hey, if I cant hum along and smile and tap my foot to a cd without being called a big Power Metal fairy music loving pussy then well Im a pussy! I mean really, this is just feel good hard rock / metal played by a bunch of guys that are obviously very talented in their field. I love the new direction in songs such as For Evermore and Edge of Time. The epics like the title track and Lost Without You show a different, more mature side of Power Quest and then the straight ahead, happy and once again, fun tracks like Temple of Fire and Into the light have all the elements to satisfy a Power metal fanatic. I really believe that from top to bottom Neverworld delivers and holds its own. There's instantly catchy melodies but they dont wear out their welcome abruptly like say Celesty do. So congratulations, youve made an album that makes it ok to have fun again.

Ben

Damn right, man! For my feelings about the album, please check the review section, and click Nocturnal Hall. Basically, you just captured what music and playing should be all about!

In metal,
Alex :headbang:

I totally agree dude! The album is amazing, and especially the title track and Sacred Land is incedible. I really like the symphonic side of PQ in the song Neverworld. Epic and catchy as hell. I hope we'll hear more of those symphonic elements on the next albums.. But as long as it's catchy and some of it freakin fast I'm satisfied! :headbang:

Hey Ben!
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts dude! You are quite right that the atmosphere in the studio is certainly reflected in the "fun" element of Neverworld. It was a great few weeks putting the album together. I quite enjoyed the amount of debate that the album generated on the Metalreviews forum. It's amazing how fired up people can get eh?

Gyre and WW........you guys! I've said it before....you guys rule!