New Nightwish Songs

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
Ok, so they are just promos and are going to change a bit for the final release of the album, but i'm sure that although we all plan to be the first in line to buy the album when it comes out, most of us have been unable to resist the urge to listen to the promo album. But even if you haven't listened to the whole thing, what are your favorite new songs? What is your least favorite new song? Why?

A favorite would be a tough pick for me. I very much like Bye Bye Beautiful, especially the chorus. I think it will make an amazing live song.

I also enjoy Cadence of Her Last Breath, Sahara, P&P, and even though the majority of the song doesn't have the passion that we heard in the short clip (that part was the end of the song), 7 Days To The Wolves is still a mighty fine song (though it still sounds to me more like a Tarot song with a guest female vocalist than a Nightwish song).

My least favorite has to be Meadows of Heaven. For the most part, it's just too mediocre and schlockish for me.

Ok, so they are just promos and are going to change a bit for the final release of the album

That's a popular misconception. A promo release is the FINAL mastered version of the CD, manufactured for press, so the reviews hit at the time of the official release. The only change from the retail release, to the promo release you have will be the removal of the voice overs. The songs themselves won't change in any way.

That's a popular misconception. A promo release is the FINAL mastered version of the CD, manufactured for press, so the reviews hit at the time of the official release. The only change from the retail release, to the promo release you have will be the removal of the voice overs. The songs themselves won't change in any way.
That's how it usually is with promo CDs, but with DPP Nuclear Blast was in a hurry to launch marketing campaign and they took an early version of which they made the promo before Tuomas Holopainen and Mikko Karmila of Finnvox had finished mixing the final version. Hence the leaked promo is not the same mix as the one you'll get when you buy the genuine CD.
Tuomas told about this in the interview with Spanish Rafabasa-webzine published on Jul 13.

¿Qué es lo mejor de las guitarras de este álbum?, ¿qué opinas del sonido de guitarra del disco?... por un lado es muy poderoso, pero por el otro aparece ese punto más suave y melódico que creo que es un contrapunto muy interesante...

Tuomas.- Lo primero es decir que la mezcla que habéis podido escuchar en las copias promocionales no es la mezcla final que va a salir a la venta, porque mezclamos otra vez el disco completo pero una vez que ya se habían enviado los cd's promocionales, así que hay ciertas cosas que serán un poco diferentes finalmente a lo que habéis oído en primera instancia. Para mí lo importante es que todo se presente perfecto en un paquete completo, aunque ese no es mi trabajo sino el de Mikko Karmila que es quien lo ha hecho en los estudios Finnvox. El caso es que no sé exactamente qué ha hecho finalmente Mikko con el sonido de las guitarras porque eso ya no ha sido cosa mía. Os podré decir en unos días cuando reciba la copia final.

This is a bit lousy machine translation of the Spanish quote:
What is the best in the guitars of this album?, what do you say of the sound of guitar of the disk?... on one hand it is very powerful, but for the other one that softer and more melodic point that I believe appears that it is a very interesting counterpoint...

Tuomas.- The first thing that is to say that the mix that you have been able to listen in the promotional copies is not the final mix that will come on sale, because we mixed the complete disk once more but once the promotional cd's had already been sent, so there are certain things that they will be a little different finally to what you have heard in first instance. For me the important thing is that everything shows up perfect in a complete package, although that it is not my work but that of Mikko Karmila that is who has made it in the Finnvox studios . The case is that I don't know exactly what Mikko has made finally with the sound of the guitars because that has no longer been my thing. I will be able to you to say in a few days when I receive the final copy.

The above mentioned has also been confirmed on the official Nw.com messageboard by the Finnish webmaster, to whom Tuomas H. himself brought the final version four weeks ago for pre-listening. He said that the level of Anette's vocals have been raised throughout the CD and the overall sound is much better than on the promo version.

I haven't heard the whole album yet, so I don't have any favorites yet.
icon_cry.gif

Enigma said it all, so all i can really add is to say that i know what i am talking about when it comes to Nightwish. ;] In general (not just with Nightwish), i am a very detail oriented and factual person. I do my best to never post anything that isn't true.

Anyway, instead of trying to find a way to critique someone, why not actually post something about the songs? Let's keep this on topic. :]

i know what i am talking about when it comes to Nightwish. ;]

Except when you are in a line just a few steps away from a garbage lady sayin' this is the first concert in the USA, standing next to me who'd gone to NW's concert at Progpower a few months before ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

(yes you 99% of the time know your facts..... but I couldn't resist adding and btw... :zombie: I want to caress your rusty spoon..... :zombie: )

Except when you are in a line just a few steps away from a garbage lady sayin' this is the first concert in the USA, standing next to me who'd gone to NW's concert at Progpower a few months before ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

(yes you 99% of the time know your facts..... but I couldn't resist adding and btw... :zombie: I want to caress your rusty spoon..... :zombie: )

I said that? I was probably unaware that Prog Power existed at that time hehe. Actually, at that time, i would have been unaware of the L'Amour gig too. But hey it WAS 3 years ago. I only started going to concerts then. That Nightwish concert at BB Kings was only my second concert ever. Sure, i'd been a large part of the rave scene back in the early 90's, but that doesn't quite count for concerts. I've come a long way in a short time with metal concert knowledge.. and modern metal knowledge too. I had gone from 80's metal, to 90's rave, back to metal. I always kind of hung on to a small piece of metal, but not enough to really be an adept. But by 2004 i knew a fair bit again, but now a days i know much MUCH more.

You know though, it's wierd that i would say that the BB Kings was first, cause i'm sure i was aware of the 2 Canadian dates and the one at the Troc, which came before the BB Kings concert.

Haven't heard the new tracks yet (precisely because of mishaps like with the promo CD...) because I always wait for the finished record to come out so I know I am getting the final mix and nothing pre-production. I am hoping it's good!

Well, so long as you are not expecting the Second Coming of Tarja, you should enjoy it. Anette's voice takes some getting used to, she is very reminiscent of the singer of Edenbridge (Sabine, is that her name?), at least to my ears. She has a nice voice, but I don't hear anything yet that will make me expect her to start belting out old tunes like "FantasMic" or "Passion and the Opera" at the shows.

There are free samples of the songs at Nightwish.com, if you want to get a taste of what her voice is like.

And welcome back to the fold Snowy, OSA does not feel like home without you!
waveyfrood.gif

Hmm, I'm not sure about that...the music is still distinctly Nightwish, from the songs I have heard. But most people assume that when a singer changes, the sound has changed too. There are no operatic vocals anymore, the vocals are more soft and mellow. But Anette has a nice voice and I think eventually she will fit in with the Nightwish sound.

"Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Eva" are the only full songs I have heard, and both are drastically different. "Eva" is a beautiful ballad, and "Bye Bye Beautiful" is in the vein of "Wish I Had an Angel", but way heavier.

I haven't been able to resist the urge to listen, and I need to say Poet & The Pendulum is a freakin' epic masterpiece. I love most of the album, but that might take the cake. I'm also a big fan of Master Passion Greed, but I think it could definitely use more Anette, no offense to Marco, but he's not the lead singer.

Other great songs are Sahara, Bye Bye Beautiful and Amaranth. I'm very much looking forward to getting my Music Pirate mitts on the real thing!

Well, we all make mistakes...except me.

I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
LOL2.gif

Hahha! Missed you, C! ;)

I agree, P&P is pretty epic... it's definitely my favorite. The sound-not just Anette-has changed drastically, I think. Where are my dueling flutes, millions of insturments I can't identify, guitar complexity, crazy drums? ;_;

i only heard Amaranth and as for the rest? i havnt heard the other songs casue im gona wait till the cd comes out

WOW! After FINALLY hearing the new Nightwish tracks...WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING? Open your minds! Stop judging! Enjoy! So what if Annette is no Tarja? So what if she doesn't have a UNIQUE voice? She's damn good! Whay does everything have to be UNIQUE? It's good metal! Enjoy it, dammit!