Reorute To Remain... Nu-metal?? yes or no??

IS "REOUTE TO REMAIN" NU-METAL???

• YES... ITS NU-METAL

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • NO... ITS NOT NU-METAL

Votes: 62 84.9%

• Total voters
I've been a big fan of In Flames ever since I heard "Colony" a few years back. Is R2R their best album? No. Does that make it nu-metal? No.

The only things that really keep R2R from being a great album, as far as I'm concerned, are two things:

1) The chorus sections are jarring. Take the title track, for example -- it's tearing along at a good clip, and then it ABRUPTLY slows down and the clean section starts. It really throws off the pace of the song and detracts from it. Most of the songs on the album have that problem, except for Drifter and Egonomic. That doesn't make the songs bad, it just doesn't make them stellar.

2) Anders' clean vocals could use some work. I've never had a problem with clean vocals, which may make me a minority. The problem is, Anders doesn't execute them well. He does a fine job live, so it's either the production on the album or just how he was singing in the studio those days. I can't really pinpoint what bothers me about the vocals, it just seems like they don't compliment the song.

Nu-metal itself is hard to define, but my basic definition is:
-Lots of whining
-Sub-standard musicianship
-Rapping/turntables (this isn't a REQUIREMENT for nu-metal, but having these things automatically lumps it in with nu-metal)

In Flames certainly doesn't have whining, there's no rapping or turntables, and even if you don't particularly LIKE the musicianship on the latest album, you can't say it's sub-standard.

How do YOU guys define nu-metal, anyway?

Success doesn't make a band nu-metal, and it doesn't mean a band's sold out.

In the words of Manowar, "Death to false metal!"

There's some elements of nu-metal from RtR, like a bit Slipknot, but I don't consider RtR entirely nu-metal.

to say that in flames is nu metal is far from the truth. but to say that it is an attempt at nu metal is naling it right on the spot. remember, in flames is mtv's flavor of the month, but when the next band comes in, where will in flames be? if this doesn't ring a bell to some, heres what i have to say: twisted sister, guns and roses, sonic youth, pearl jam, poison.

Needled24Seven said:
once he said, nu metal as Omnium Gatherum...i think we all knew he was being sarcastic. on the other hand shadows fall sorta through me off though:tickled:
Show me Nu-Metal band who can play a set of Shadows Fall at a concert :Smug: (and they can't be pussies and cut out the solo like Korn)

Those dudes use to fucking rule!

Now they just tune their guitars lower and lower and play quite dull songs. They should never have tuned down!!!!!! They Suck!!!!

I think some people needs to define what NU-METAL is... a good definition. This one goes for those who actually know how to play the guitarr or drums or any other instrument. I personally don't know a good definition of Nu-metal... but i've been listening to it for a while now... i can say, IMO, In Flames its not Nu-metal.
they don't rap.
they aren't crap

R2r is not exactly nu-metal...it's more some sell-out metal. I hate it. I would burn the album but when you see somebody say.. ( first off I didint like it and know I do ) or ( This album is the one that made me know if ) are people that have fallen in the sell-out idea that puts the songs in you're head so you are supossed to say ( oh yeah it's good ) fuck nu-metal and fuck the new inflames! ( well lets hope they come back like before ; ) )

Reactions: JesteR-7
Well, I guess the secret got out...

This winter, In Flames are going on a world tour to spread their new style, they'll be playing guitars tuned so low that the strings sag an inch below where they should be, and Bjorn will stop plaing guitar and scratch on turntables the whole show. Anders is going to bleach his hair, cut it short, and wear black plastic glasses that are half an inch thick, and his new companion will be a chinese rapper. Their clothes will all be size XXXXXXXL and will have graffiti like writing in plastic on them. Their new jewelery will be chains that they have to put back on their snow tires after every show, and they may add on huge emblems that nobody can read and choke them if they lean back. Their videos will now be shot from behind them with all the lights in front of them so nobody can see them. despite all of the cosmetic changes, they will all wear burlap sacks covered in shit on their heads, and there will be ana dditional three drummers to accompany Daniel, although they will just beat the shit out of each other on stage and never play drums, just sit behind their drum kits during the sound check. Of course, to gain street cred, the new drummers will be black. After all this, Anders will be shot in the face 7 times to give him a better gimmick than a certain rapper. Admission to shows will have to jump to accomodate the tape they put on their faces. Guests will include Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot each recording four songs for them, and one compilation with The Infamous F.A.T. and 6-Pak Shaker. Their four tour busses will be stretched Escalades with ridiculously large rims and TV's and video game systems anywhere they could possibly fit. This will accomodate their new "posse", which of course, will include Dave Chappelle.

Steve

Reactions: CONCLAVE OBSCURUM