The Computer Thread

DURRRR INTEL IS BEST AMD IS FINISHED XDXX PROBLEM POORFAGS???

No seriously, mine was dirt cheap, it runs everything super fast, I don't see how paying twice the price for an Intel can be justified when you can get an AMD which is just as good.

If you disagree you are a faggot and overtechnicate things.

:lol: AMD fags are so easy to trol

AMD used to suck ass back when i had one(ages ago), it was before they got the melty problem in check. Nowadays its fine CPU's, i know that. I'd still prefer an intel in a music computer due to their cache system, especially on the dual cores(some of which can be better for music than Quads in the same range, simply due to the cache speed and architecture. Less congestion, more stream).

But really, AMD and Intel doesnt make a difference for gaming whatsoever, because gaming is not the most CPU heavy operations. MOST gaming related slowdowns are due to graphics.

and Ati is for homosex trollface.jpg

Are you nuts? Most games are CPU-bound, hence why every new version of Direct3D tends to include features to easily help the gpu take some of that load. Tesselation vs LOD would be the most obvious example.

Random unrelated comment: Most of the work in signal processing starts with a Fourier transform. That is such an embarrassingly parallel application it hurts. Meaning two things: 1) Cores: the more the merrier and 2) Get an awesome graphics card, you're gonna need it when GPU audio processing becomes commonplace - which should be soon, very soon.

^^ dude stop trol pls this r srs diskusn

Also if you have ever played any source game ever, yeah, that shit is CPU heavy as fuck, my old intel dualcore 2,2ghz couldn't handle tf2 at the lowest settings all that well, but then again I had a shite gfx card.

This info should come in handy soon, my laptop which is my main computer atm has started randomly freezing and/or refusing to come out of screensaver... It's probably fixable, but it's a few years old and meh... I'll probably be getting a friend of mine to help me build something that fits my needs this summer.

Are you nuts? Most games are CPU-bound, hence why every new version of Direct3D tends to include features to easily help the gpu take some of that load. Tesselation vs LOD would be the most obvious example.

Random unrelated comment: Most of the work in signal processing starts with a Fourier transform. That is such an embarrassingly parallel application it hurts. Meaning two things: 1) Cores: the more the merrier and 2) Get an awesome graphics card, you're gonna need it when GPU audio processing becomes commonplace - which should be soon, very soon.

Only new games(coming out NOW) are optimized for more than 2-4 cores, let alone 6. 4 cores of 3.16ghz will get you farther than 8 cores of 2.4ghz in GAMING. When you start using programs like Cubase/REAPER/Photoshop/Lightwave the playing field changes dramatically
I know games use a lot of CPU, but there are few games optimized for a billion CPU's out on the market at this moment.

Also, gief info on the GPU audio processing if there are articles about it :O im very interested. Considering upgrading my GPU soon, and if i can use it for music too, i might just spit an extra fiddy bucks or more into my GPU budget.

What I'm saying is, the CPU is very often the bottleneck of game processing :p you're absolutely right in what you just said though.

As for GPU audio processing, I don't recall seeing any articles specifically on that, it's just general intuition on people beginning to notice its potential (cheap massively parallel processing? hell yeah). Other than that, there's something very obvious about it: part of a GPU's job is post processing, i.e. 2d signal processing. It's two and two, really, and with CUDA, OpenCL and the like getting more popular by the day, I suspect we will be seeing a lot more general processing being done on the GPU. Right now, I'd recommend to anyone who might need to run processor-intensive applications to invest in a nice graphics card.

To make a point on the Fourier transform thing: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~kmorel/documents/fftgpu/fftgpu.pdf

question.

what is your intent? just for playing around? or to record something and release on your own, with quality?

Well primarily I would use it for arranging/recording/and in general making music. As fas as like... making music and then self distributing it, not so much. I would probably still go with a DVD/Rw burner or w/e just in case I had felt the urge to give someone a copy of something I'd made, but otherwise I just want something powerful enough to work as a decent computer for my cousins studio which is on the other side of my duplex, as well as gaming occasionally.

Your motherboard will also come with a internal sound card, it's not amazing but it should suffice for your everyday needs besides recording, which is the interface's job.

And what would be an interface you/any of you would recommend? I don't really know too much about them :p This is my first endeavor with putting together music on something that isn't a complete piece of shit.

Yes and no, they have entirely different architectures and cacheing structures. He won't have any use for a hexacore whatsoever.
And AMD sucks dick :p

GTS cards are more than enough for music and browsing, but as Ensi says, if you wanna take games for a spin you're better of going for a GTX card

So Intel then. Got it lol.

Also, yeah, I'll probably be doing a bit of gaming on it as well, as mentioned above. The allure of making shit in Morrowind and Oblivion is too strong for me lol.

Nigga it seems like you want a medium-good tier PC for putting together music and the occasional gaming and want it low budget.

AMD bitch, cheaper, works just as good. But if you want to dish out more cash to get an Intel so you can sleep at night, do eet.

I just installed Ubuntu. I had worse memories from my school time (in which we were forced to use some other Linux distribution) and I like it pretty much so far.

i have a number of photos and some of them are repeated but with different names, so i need a program to check redundancies, plox