The scotch thread.

Do yourself a favor and seek out Springbank 12yr Cask Strength.

Seconded, I was the blessed owner of a bottle and it was probably the most appreciated, second only to the Yamazaki 12yr I was offered for my birthday... gosh was that ten years ago already?

Anyway, I sold my entire whisky collection when I left Paris. I presently destroy my liver on beer exclusively.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
It's Springbank but I do prefer "Springbang", tbh.

Springbank produces 3 different labels...

Hazelburn - Triple-distilled, non peated
Springbank - moderatley peated, 2.5-distilled
Longrow - heavily peated, double distilled

Springbank peat is more earthy than the very medicinal, phenolic, band-aid type that is of the Islay ilk.

They also have a sister distillery which is Kilkerran. It's also fucking superb and not to be missed.

Springbank does EVERYTHING in-house and provides employment/heavily supports the local community. They're kinda like the Dischord Records of the music industry but more expensive due to the nature of the business.

Seconded, I was the blessed owner of a bottle it it was probably the most appreciated, second only to the Yamazaki 12yr I was offered for my birthday... gosh was that ten years ago already?

Anyway, I sold my entire whisky collection when I left Paris. I presently destroy my liver on beer exclusively.

I actually just finished a dram of Yamazaki 12yr. I like to have it on hand for the novelty but it's HIGHLY overrated imo.

Bertrand, you SOLD your whisky?! I've been meaning to ask you about The Jester's Race but selling whoopsie instead of drinking it takes greater precedence. Why not just drink it?

Then again this is NAD talking. I can't have more than a bottle or two at a time, it disappears in my presence. You might have had a reputable collection.

It's Springbank but I do prefer "Springbang", tbh.

Springbank produces 3 different labels...

Hazelburn - Triple-distilled, non peated
Springbank - moderatley peated, 2.5-distilled
Longrow - heavily peated, double distilled

Springbank peat is more earthy than the very medicinal, phenolic, band-aid type that is of the Islay ilk.

They also have a sister distillery which is Kilkerran. It's also fucking superb and not to be missed.

Springbank does EVERYTHING in-house and provides employment/heavily supports the local community. They're kinda like the Dischord Records of the music industry but more expensive due to the nature of the business.
Dang, sounds like Hazelburn would be my jam. I have searched for an independently owned distillery and HOLY FUCK is that hard to find. I have been addicted to Balvenie for probably 20 years now, only recently did I find out that whilst they are owned by one of the Big Boys they actually have some independence, which makes me happy. And drunk.

I'm so used to musical things. My bands were always indie. My gear, mostly indie. Beers, indie. Hell my job for the last decade has been indie. Then I go for scotch (something near and/or dear to me) and see that most of what I imbibe is owned by fucking InBev or ButtWeiser or whatever.

Ugh. Buying local takes quite an effort these days.

Anyone have this blended scotch from costco?

I recently bought connemara (while it's irish whiskey), it has the peaty smokiness to it. I'm loving it.

I shall have to see if this Springbank stuff is available around here. Ontario is no fun sometimes with the government controlled liquor racket.

Update: it isn't.

Well, peat =/= lack of complexity. If anything, it adds another layer of complexity...but yeah, just different. The peat bombs can definitely overpower lots of subtle aspects though if that's what you mean. I have also evolved more towards balance these days. I've rinsed the 'Murica extremity of of me in my middle-years.

If you can't wait for the Springbank or Kilkerran (same distributor) to come back into stock at LCBO, I quickly perused their site and the ones that are good/reasonably priced (lol @ LCBO reasonable prices) are:

Clynelish 14yr
Benromach CS/15yr (kinda expensive)
Various Arran wine cask selections
Glenfarclas 15/105
Caol Ila 12yr
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Aberlour A'bunadh (one of the best sherry bombs - the price has exploded iin recent years though)

Note: All of these are, for the most part, vastly different from each other and I do not know what your price range is.

Or you can go for a Redbreast 12yr Cask Strength...

Well, peat =/= lack of complexity. If anything, it adds another layer of complexity...but yeah, just different. The peat bombs can definitely overpower lots of subtle aspects though if that's what you mean. I have also evolved more towards balance these days. I've rinsed the 'Murica extremity of of me in my middle-years.

If you can't wait for the Springbank or Kilkerran (same distributor) to come back into stock at LCBO, I quickly perused their site and the ones that are good/reasonably priced (lol @ LCBO reasonable prices) are:

Clynelish 14yr
Benromach CS/15yr (kinda expensive)
Various Arran wine cask selections
Glenfarclas 15/105
Caol Ila 12yr
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Aberlour A'bunadh (one of the best sherry bombs - the price has exploded iin recent years though)

Note: All of these are, for the most part, vastly different from each other and I do not know what your price range is.

Or you can go for a Redbreast 12yr Cask Strength...

Thanks for the list, sir. I will keep an eye on the LCBO website for Sprinbank or Kilkerran, in the mean time I figure I've tried a number of these others over the years I have never purchased one.

I'll always love the peat bombs and will likely still keep one of them around from time to time, just want to broaden the horizons. I find theLaphroigs and Lagavulins never live up to my memory of them, so I'm open to ideas in that realm as well.