What are you learning?

Anonymous

L'Étranger
Nov 9, 2005
New-Brunswick, Canada
Sounds easy enough? Musicians tend to learn songs, so just tell us what you're learning at the moment and if it's fun or whatever.

Right now I'm learning Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on guitar. I'm at About to Crash right now. It's really fun, the solo sounds great and it's not super-difficult to learn like most of Petrucci's stuff.

HMM, not right now, but soon I'm gonna have to learn one of my newer songs on guitar... I know it's hard to learn a song that isn't made yet but basically I need to learn the overall structure and composition on it, plus I need to learn it to play it during band practice, obviously. I tend to record part-by-part, so I need to go over the whole song when it's finished, and then practice it as a whole.

Hmm

Lately on my own, I've been on a jazz/latin regiment lately in my free time, building my chops for another show at the Berklee HS Jazz Fest. I've been working on being a more creative soloist, coming up with more unique phrasing, and being more well-structured. I've been listening to a LOT of Dave Weckl material for inspiration

Im also working on my speed as always, I was able to develop a blastbeat technique (TOP SECRET) that lets ME at least - play George Kollias Blastbeats without straining myself, as well as gravity blasts as well (1 handed drum roll + blasting).

I'm in 2 bands, one is more southern rock style - I'm learning a Dave Mathews song. a couple Eagles tunes, some Skynyrd, some Allman Brothers, and perfecting 4 older original songs before I was in the band, and the other one- my metal band, writing/tweaking drum parts for our first 2 original tunes.

All the meanwhile, I am the Captain of my schools Drumline, while playing quints. We ranked #18 in the nation last year at Giants Stadium, and we're much better than we were a year ago, hopefullly we can crack the top 10 next month at Nat'l Championships in Pennsylvania.

And thanks to that bastard :D Matt Moliti needing a drummer, I have to re-learn a couple songs, perfect them, record them, in hopes of landing that gig as well.

All in all, Im spending I'd venture to guess 30-40hrs/week involved with music in some form, and I'm loving every minute of it!

At the present moment, I'm learning the true gravity of the fact that I just saw Iron Maiden.

Ptah Khnemu said:
At the present moment, I'm learning the true gravity of the fact that I just saw Iron Maiden.
Yeah, I saw them on Saturday in Camden. Totally badass. All the haters of the new album can go screw themselves. It baffles me how people would rather hear NOTB and Run To The Hills for the millionth time than one of their awesome new songs.

As always, lots and lots of Rush on the bass: I'm putting the finishing touches on "Marathon", trying to get a grip on the instrumental section of "Freewill" (really freakin' hard) and just beginning to learn "The Big Money" (great great fun!).

The Christmas Song.

My girlfriend wants to sing it + other christmas songs. We try to make a cd for christmas.

I have been told by my teacher to do some plucking exercises so not using the pick at the moment really.

Last song i learnt was The Beatles - Blackbird

Learning the Dethklok theme.

It's not really learning, so much as just hammering into my skull to remember it.

I've got a classical piece that Im learning for a midterm next week, along with another one that I already know, but now I'm just getting all the finer details perfected. I'm also brushing up on a few songs for my contemporary music literature class, I have to know all 6 and the instructors will pick 3 of them at random. I've also got two short (and pretty simple) pieces for my technique (classical finger style technique that is) that I have to have ready on monday. I've also got my sight singing, sight reading, keyboard, and applied theory finals this coming week.

In addition to all that stuff ^ I've got to do for school, I'm working on Tumeni Notes by steve morse, relearning parts of songs from my old (and recently reactivated) band, and frank gambale's "monster lick". Been learning some Kamelot tunes recently as well.

I checked out 2 books from the library today, one is just a bunch of Di Meola solos and the other is a compilation of a bunch of jazz guys. So that should eat up my free time this weekend.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Learning the Dethklok theme.

It's not really learning, so much as just hammering into my skull to remember it.

hey goofball, whos a neutered goofball, its you buddy :lol:

I'm learning all the cool little interludes and awesome bits that jordan rudess does..... such as the dance of eternity ragtime solo, and that awesome bit at the end of when the water breaks.

Mostly though, I'm just learning the rest of the major/minor scales that I don't know. I've also started on some blues scales, and also a bit of mixing classical scales with blues scales which seems to give more depth to improvs.

Eternal Dragon said:
I'm learning all the cool little interludes and awesome bits that jordan rudess does..... such as the dance of eternity ragtime solo, and that awesome bit at the end of when the water breaks.
:worship: JORDAN RUDESS'S RAGTIME PIANO SOLO

I'm learning a classical piece on guitar right now

Bach - Badinerie

Classical piesces are always so fun to learn on guitar, and they give you so many new ideas you never thought of !

Reactions: MoFo
Ptah Khnemu said:
:worship: JORDAN RUDESS'S RAGTIME PIANO SOLO
I can almost do the right hand fluently, but it would help if I wasn't learning off a stupid gpro tab. The left hand should be ok since I learnt a song with similar left hand a while ago. That song was insane. The left hand jumps at the end were for example a C octave then up to some sorta C inversion, then other chords etc..... but this was like 160bpm 1/8 notes :lol:.

I've been slowly learning Master Of Puppets. The downpicking is way too hard. I'm at around 190 bpm 8th notes and only playing half the song up to the clean interlude. Not sure how long it's gonna take, but I plan to have it done by the end of the year.