What are you learning?

I'm learning Hammerfall's entire discography right now, in honor of my new chainmail armor. :headbang:

I got bored so I decided to learn how to play Sanctus Ignis. It's hard as hell!! Really, the only hard part is teh short blast of 32nd notes that Stepha Forte throws in your face, but other than that, it's not John Petrucci hard.

Home by Dream Theater, wowzers.... Those little blasts of notes like right before he says "Her ecstasy, means so much to me..." are super difficult. Or in Ptah's words, "John Petrucci hard"

Working on YYZ by Rush, Dragon's Den by SymX, Flight of the bumblebee and transcribing Paganini's 5th from the violin sheet music.

Have to say...Paginini was a madman!

The intro sweeps on violin are freaking insane!

Right now, Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce hahahahahaah

I'll just finish my post here cause the only words that come to mind right now are swear words :lol:

how long do you people usually find yourselves working on each song? Like how long does it take until you master the song at full speed?

I've been on master of puppets since beginning of august and I can barely play half the song at 200 bpm.

I keep going and going until I either give up to write something, if I feel like learning something else, or if all I was learning it for was a new technique to use in my writing and I finally got taht technique down.

Time varies.

how long do you people usually find yourselves working on each song? Like how long does it take until you master the song at full speed?

I've been on master of puppets since beginning of august and I can barely play half the song at 200 bpm.

I am actually learning it as well. I am following Warhearts advice and learning all Metallica songs. Because I need to get my rhythm down.

You wanna get your rythm down? Learn to play the album Peace Sells by Megadeth from one end to the other and I guarantee you'll have no problem with any rythm part for the rest of your life. The same works with Rust in Peace.

And to answer the question, I usually take a day or two to fully learn a song unless it's Dream Theater. Then I usually take a few weeks to get it nailed. Currently learning: The Moor - Opeth.

When I used to play guitar every waking hour I'd be able to nail down most songs in a day or two. The only exception was Master of Puppets waaay back when I first started. That song took me a good 6 months to get down perfectly, but once I did it was smooth sailing from there. Things started to get gradually easier until I found the world that is Dream Theater. Master of Puppets and Fatal Tragedy were my two stepping stones, and When the Water Breaks is going to be my winter break project. So much to remember it's going to break the bank.