What are you learning?

I am actually learning it as well. I am following Warhearts advice and learning all Metallica songs. Because I need to get my rhythm down.

yeah I think Metallica has those intermediate songs that help with the basics of metal better than any other band, since most other thrash bands were more technical and may take longer to master. But I think if you master some Metallica songs, other bands that are more technical will be more easier to practice rather than starting from scratch.

I have noticed my downpicking speed increase over the past few months from just playing Master Of Puppets. After getting my downpicking faster, I'm gonna try to play those speedy death metal songs.

Right now, Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce hahahahahaah

I'll just finish my post here cause the only words that come to mind right now are swear words :lol:
I have had nothing but problems from dragonforce solos........ actually just Valley of the Damned cos thats the only one i've bothered with. I've busted a nerve in one of my fingertips on that solo..... twice, AND the other day I broke my g string :)P) on it as well..... which was my first string break while playing.

Yeh, well I can/can't play guitar depending on your p.o.v :lol:. I can shred kinda good, but I've never bothered learning scales or any of the notes, so I can play stuff but I don't know what i'm playing. Whereas piano I actually did lessons all my highschool years. I've been trying to learn how to sing as well....... and just before I was typing this I was trying to sing DWoT, hahaha, but that was just shit.......apart from the intro which is easy cos the low parts are in my range.

Btw, I'm thinking of doing a short keys vid so I can whack it on youtube (less than 3mins cos i'm using a still camera)....... maybe the intro of smoke and mirrors to start off with. I know there are a few vids of that on guitar but I havent seen it on keys. Haven't quite nailed it just yet though :(.

You wanna get your rythm down? Learn to play the album Peace Sells by Megadeth from one end to the other and I guarantee you'll have no problem with any rythm part for the rest of your life. The same works with Rust in Peace.

I agree with you 100%. Rust in Piece is amazing for rhythm advancement. And its a LOT more complex than Metallica in timing. And if you are going for endurance - the end of Polaris (RIP) is one of those riffs that if you can get through that, you'll get through ANYTHING.

To address the original question - I've been working on The Odyssey because I like learning those long ones to practice to, and this tune has so much diversity. I've also been working a TON on the solos to Sins and Shadows (which if you notice MJR even botches the timing on in the instructional video). Playing those quintuplets in the end of the first solo is a real mental strain to go THAT fast and stay in time. I have the first solo up to about 150 bpm clean and the second one at 150 (I can play the first lick up to speed but the legato scale decent at the end is only up to 150)

Finished learning Bal-Sagoth - Invocations Beyond the Outer-World Night on drums. Damn fast song.

I'm learning a classical piece on guitar right now

Bach - Badinerie

Classical piesces are always so fun to learn on guitar, and they give you so many new ideas you never thought of !

BEAUTIFUL PIECE! I really love to play that, it soothes my soul.

I am currently trying to learn Rondo in Am / Dionisio Aguado and also Bach - BWV 784 Invention No.13 in Am (playing both parts). Bach's Invention is giving me some trouble..... but I'm getting it.

Besides my own metal stuff, I have a number of classical things performance ready. My halloween night set inlcuded "Come Sweet Death" & Suite Gothique. Before that I was prepping Francks 'Chorale in a' for recording. Normally, I always have some Bach or Buxtehude piece going in the background. And I am slowly moving back to more pedal solos after having my ankle hosed for months from pedal solos in a work up of Liszts Fantasy & Fugue "Ad Nos Salutare Undam".

Lately I've been just figuring out the music in commercials on TV lately. The music has been awesome and I really wanna find this stuff somewhere. That remixed Christmas carol in that Tanqueray commercial is so so so sweet. Anybody know where I could find that kinda stuff?