What do you need to play "Live"?

Aug 6, 2006
iPod or some other MP3 Player:

You will need something to play your drums with, I use an iPod but I know others that use a Laptop, Disk Player, CD Player and so on. But these days most use a MP3 player of some sort.

So how do you get your drum track to the PA System? You will need something called a DI Box (see link below):

Passive Direct Box Link

There are all kinds of DI Boxes and the link above is just a random Guitar Center link I added for reference. The DI Box will help prevent any noise that could be picked up from the iPod or cables and also protect the iPod itself from a power surge coming from the PA.

You will have a 1/8 inch jack coming our of the iPod going into a single 1/4 jack that will plug into the DI Box. You could also have it going to two 1/4 jacks if you want to separate the kick to the left and the other drums to the right. I keep it simple and only use one 1/4 jack and have all the drums on one channel.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-CMP-110-Mono-Interconnect-3-5mm/dp/B000068O3D/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410835649&sr=8-6&keywords=1%2F4+mono+to+stereo"]Link for the connection from iPod to DI Box[/ame]

Then you would plug a XLR cable into the DI Box and the other end would plug into the snake on the stage going to the PA System. The sound guy will adjust the drums in the monitors as well as the main speakers.

That's it in a snap shot. Any questions about that or if you have a better way please post.

Peter - Bloodsoaked